Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 59,757 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the drive from Livingston to Bozeman was during the winter? My husband was offered a job in Big Sky but rentals are outrageous there and Bozeman is also high. Livingston has lower rent but is a distance away. Driving does not bother us. We drive about 50 miles to work now but... was curious about HWY 90 during the winter.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,279 times
Default I90 - Livingston to Bozeman

It depends on the winter. Some winters are worse than others. Bozeman does get more snow than lots of places in MT but the roads are well maintained. ie: plowed, sanded, etc. I have driven over that road many, many times and only really had trouble once. I grew up in MT.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:28 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,974 times
Livingston is only 25 miles away from Bozeman, but it is a mountain pass you have to go over to get to Bozeman from Livingston. The last several years have not been too bad with much snow, but that can't last forever. In fact, the Old Farmers Almanac is forcasting a cold and snowy winter. I guess we shall see. Bozeman gets more snow than where I am.
They do a pretty good job plowing the roads, but the thing I always worry about is the OTHER drivers out there who aren't careful enough. And remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't help you at all on ice!

Many people do commute from Livingston to Bozeman so it is certainly doable.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM

oh..I just re read your post Hamilton, and I would not recommend commuting from Livingston to Big Sky. The road to Bozeman is bad enough in winter, but the road to Big Sky has one of the highest rates of accidents in the state and numerous auto related deaths as well. It is a very dangerous road in the winter and again, people don't always drive sensibly. Aside from it being a very long drive (43 or so miles from Bozeman to Big Sky) he would be driving to and from work in the winter in total darkness which makes it even more dangerous.

It is a beautiful drive, but there are lots of animals and it can be quite dangerous.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
MHT

Default livingston

I just re-read your post also. I misread it the first time. I would not recommend driving from Livingston to Big Sky either. I agree with Ladyfish. Livingston to Bozeman is not bad but the road to Big Sky would not be fun in the dark, in the winter. I have driven it several times but it's narrow and lots of wildlife.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 59,757 times
Thanks for the input. We were told most of the others that will be on our crew live in Bozeman and drive to Big Sky for work. How is renting in Belgrade and Manhattan?

Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
MHT

Default Belgrade/Manhattan

My nephew lives in Belgrade. He says that rent is still high in Belgrade and Manhattan but cheaper than Bozeman. Of course high to him may not be high to you. It might be worth checking out anyway.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:27 PM

I just looked online at the Bozeman Chronicle and found houses anywhere from 1100. to 1800. per month for rent in Belgrade....many say no smoking and no pets though. Check out the Daily Chronicle website and look at classifieds.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:15 PM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Default BAD Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton6 View Post
I was wondering how the drive from Livingston to Bozeman was during the winter? My husband was offered a job in Big Sky but rentals are outrageous there and Bozeman is also high. Livingston has lower rent but is a distance away. Driving does not bother us. We drive about 50 miles to work now but... was curious about HWY 90 during the winter.

Thanks
You do NOT want to live in Livingston and commute to Big Sky! You probably don't even want to live in Bozeman and commute to Big Sky. The highway to Big Sky is two lane and winding. It is high speed and has numerous serious accidents and deaths each year--probably at least in part by skiers who ski Big Sky and drink before driving home.

Bozeman to Livingston means going over a major pass. At least it's on interstate (the Hwy. 90, which is I-90 actually, you referred to I assume), but it has some very nasty curves and occasionally is shut (or requires chaining up at least) in winter.

Highly NOT recommended. Big Sky is a resort area, so yes, it's expensive. If I were offered year-round work in Big Sky but couldn't afford to live there, I'd turn down the job. The driving anytime of year on that highway is dangerous (summer it's crowded with tourists heading to/from Yellowstone), and in winter, I'd never want to do it. After dark and early morning year-round you also have serious wildlife issues to contend with possibly. Hitting a deer, elk, moose, etc. isn't a fun experience any more than sliding on ice or being hit by a head-on drunk driver is.

Sorry to sound so negative but I sincerely do NOT NOT NOT recommend what you are considering (commute to/from Big Sky from either Bozeman or Livingston).

That said, I'm sure people commute to Big Sky from Bozeman. Not so sure many do from Livingston, but I really don't know. I'd never live either of those places myself--too big for me and growing too quickly as well. But many people love both communities.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 PM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Default Still the bad highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton6 View Post
Thanks for the input. We were told most of the others that will be on our crew live in Bozeman and drive to Big Sky for work. How is renting in Belgrade and Manhattan?
From Belgrade and Manhattan you will still be driving the very dangerous, winding, two lane road to Big Sky. That should be far more of a concern than the drive over the pass on the interstate. Again, highly NOT recommended in winter if you value your life.

By the way, Belgrade has become, essentially, a suburb of Bozeman. Manhattan is still a bit further out but soon Bozeman-Belgrade-Manhattan will be one big urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman