Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 45,234 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move next summer. Currently, our credit isn't good (mostly old debt from college days). We're working on it, but it's still not there.

That being said, is it possible to rent in Bozeman or the surrounding area(s) without the best credit? We both work in IT with steady jobs and are in the process of finding IT jobs that allow telecommuting prior to next year.

Is it still possible to move here before we have our credit fixed? I saw one place, aboveandbeyondrentals.com, requires a 625 score and I'm getting a bit worried. If we have to wait another year to move, so be it, but it sure would be nice to head that way next summer.

Last edited by Marie_82; 09-17-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 22,291 times
I would suggest looking for a private owner looking to rent a house or condo that is less likely to choose renters based on credit scores and more on your downpayment and meeting you. etc. There aren't a ton of rentals around so keep your eyes open and look in the local paper in addition to just searching online.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 45,234 times
Thank you very much for the response!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM

46 posts, read 75,761 times
You can't. As I posted on another thread I am currently in Bozeman looking for a rental. 99% of which want to run a credit report (even private owners) and they want you to pay for it. However, they all balk when you suggest running a check on them as well which is fair and prudent. Go figure.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
I would hope your approach is better than that. Telling someone you are hoping to rent from that they should allow you to run a credit check on them in the name of fairness is a sure way to NOT be moving anytime soon.

Keep looking...there always seem to places coming open around the end of the school year. Folks (and college kids) tend to move on in the Spring when the weather improves. You won't find many people moving this time of year, which means rentals are harder to find.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,567 times
If you're up front with them about it and tell them in writing what you're doing to fix it, and if you have a job, you'll probably be okay for some places. I do agree that renting from a private owner is best but those are hard to come by in the Bozeman/Belgrade area. It is hard when they charge for applications. I know your pain! I wonder if you could get your credit report yourself and give it to them so they don't have to run it. That way you're up front and MAYBE they will give you a discount on the application fee. Also a lot of the management companies will charge you once and then you're covered for all their rentals so try to find one that has multiple apartments you might be interested in. Good luck to you!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
As a private landlord I am much more strict on credit and debt:income ratio. Why? Because I have more to lose than a large property company. If someone can't pay them rent the company survives. My tenant doesn't pay rent and I'm short on bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: