Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,532 times

Advertisements

Here's the story: Online filmmakers venture off-boardwalk at Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone | News | bozemandailychronicle.com

If you have access to Facebook, please, visit them and let them know how you feel!

https://www.facebook.com/sundayfundayz/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,001,422 times
Violated Yellowstone? A bit extreme on the wording aren't we? However, I do agree, those people were idiots.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,824,798 times
Years ago, I think around 15, maybe, there were some summer workers up at Yellowstone that went off the boardwalks late at night and fell into a firehole. At least one was burnt to death, and another suffered 3rd degree burns.

Ok - found some info about it:

"The most recent thermal fatality occurred in 2000. One moonless August night, 20-year-old Sara Hulphers, a park concession employee from Oroville, Washington, went swimming with friends in the Firehole River. Accompanied by two co-workers for Old Faithful businesses, Hulphers returned by hiking through Lower Geyser Basin. They carried no flashlights, and the three thought they were jumping a small stream when they fell into Cavern Spring’s ten-foot-deep boiling waters. Hulphers went completely underwater and died several hours later from third-degree burns that covered her entire body. Her companions survived, but the two men spent months in a Salt Lake City hospital recovering from severe burns over most of their bodies."

Deaths and Injuries at Yellowstone's Geysers and Hot Springs

Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,001,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Years ago, I think around 15, maybe, there were some summer workers up at Yellowstone that went off the boardwalks late at night and fell into a firehole. At least one was burnt to death, and another suffered 3rd degree burns.

Ok - found some info about it:

"The most recent thermal fatality occurred in 2000. One moonless August night, 20-year-old Sara Hulphers, a park concession employee from Oroville, Washington, went swimming with friends in the Firehole River. Accompanied by two co-workers for Old Faithful businesses, Hulphers returned by hiking through Lower Geyser Basin. They carried no flashlights, and the three thought they were jumping a small stream when they fell into Cavern Spring’s ten-foot-deep boiling waters. Hulphers went completely underwater and died several hours later from third-degree burns that covered her entire body. Her companions survived, but the two men spent months in a Salt Lake City hospital recovering from severe burns over most of their bodies."

Deaths and Injuries at Yellowstone's Geysers and Hot Springs
I remember when this happened. I had just graduated from high school.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM

387 posts, read 557,117 times
Every summer I end up treating people for burns who step off the boardwalks and into hot pots or do something else ridiculous in YNP. It's pretty funny actually - over 95% of people in Yellowstone never get more than 150 yards from their cars the entire time they are in the park, yet they just have to walk off the boardwalks or get out of their cars (which they leave running in the active lanes of the road) and go up to the animals for pics.

Perhaps it is a good thing these Darwins never try to actually take advantage of the beautiful backcountry in the park.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM

387 posts, read 557,117 times
And now someone walks off the boardwalk on Yellowstone Tuesday and falls into a 200ºF spring and dies.

Rules for Yellowstone, beyond stay on the dang boardwalk:

How to Survive Yellowstone with Hank Patterson

Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,379,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Every summer I end up treating people for burns who step off the boardwalks and into hot pots or do something else ridiculous in YNP. It's pretty funny actually - over 95% of people in Yellowstone never get more than 150 yards from their cars the entire time they are in the park, yet they just have to walk off the boardwalks or get out of their cars (which they leave running in the active lanes of the road) and go up to the animals for pics.

Perhaps it is a good thing these Darwins never try to actually take advantage of the beautiful backcountry in the park.

Beat me to it. I think we should take the warming labels off of everything and let nature takes it's course. As for the national parks, we could also just give the park rangers the summer off next year, then have them clean up the carcasses after Labor Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: