Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

We have a young family and are considering relocating to Bozeman for all the wonderful positive aspects of living in a town with access to nature. I was however alarmed to see the crime statistics for Bozeman which are not what I thought it would be given Bozeman's overall reputation for being safe. The rape rate for last year was 41 rapes which is much higher than the national average per capita. Can anyone explain this or has any insight to the low grades for crime that Bozeman receives on some of the neighborhood watch sites online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM19 View Post
We have a young family and are considering relocating to Bozeman for all the wonderful positive aspects of living in a town with access to nature. I was however alarmed to see the crime statistics for Bozeman which are not what I thought it would be given Bozeman's overall reputation for being safe. The rape rate for last year was 41 rapes which is much higher than the national average per capita. Can anyone explain this or has any insight to the low grades for crime that Bozeman receives on some of the neighborhood watch sites online?
You need to supply some sources for the statistic you cite. From what I found on the City-Data city page and FBI, crime of all types, including rape, is less than the national average; for some categories, much less.

source: "The data for United States is from FBI, US Department of Justice Crime in the United States 1993-2012 Federal Bureau of Investigation, United States Data source: UNODC, Crime against women, Sexual Violence Tables as of July 2013, Crime and criminal justice statistics, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (2013)" and http://www.city-data.com/city/Bozeman-Montana.html

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
In general Volosong is right that violent crime is low in Bozeman. But comparing the 41 rapes mentioned on the CityData table for 2017 to the USDOJ data it does appear that the overall rape rate may be about 50% above national average. The explanation? Well, part of it is that Bozeman has 3 times as many females and males ages 18-24 as national average and about 40% more ages 25-34. So much larger populations at greatest risk and potentially more perpetrators of that age range too. If you adjust for the demographics there appears to be less risk of rape in Bozeman for young adults per number of young adults. There is just a much larger share of young adults in the total population. Of course, rape could occur to other ages but it is mainly experienced by younger people. Bozeman has less teenagers. All the demographics have an impact on the rates and crime totals. In general I don't think Bozeman has an unusual level of rape considering the unusual elevated young adult demographics; but if you have young folks in the household, yeah, you and they should be careful about where they go, what they do, who they associate with.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-04-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 05:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I do not know how statistics stack up.

But I do know that there has been an awareness & outreach campaign about reporting rape. More sexual crimes that used to go unreported are now reported.

I do not think of Bozeman as a dangerous place.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:14 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
In general I don't think Bozeman has an unusual level of rape considering the unusual elevated young adult demographics; but if you have young folks in the household, yeah, you and they should be careful about where they go, what they do, who they associate with.
To put it more bluntly: Easy way to avoid rape in a college town: don't go partying and get sloppy-drunk.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
The only thing that makes sense here is a lot of reported date rapes among college students. I can't think of a whole lot of cities around that are the size of Bozeman that I'd feel any safer in than there.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Rape rates are likely higher due to a modernized(looser) definition of the crime, and as already stated, the large number of younger people present. Bozeman is not a bad town. Not my choice for a hometown, butnit ain’t a bad place, or unsafe.

If you are worried about forcible rape, well, that’s what they make situational awareness, concealed weapons, knives, and other skills for. The side effect of being armed and trained is that the predators, nearly always well educated in choosing targets, will generally choose a target that indicates an easy victim, which the armed and trained individual rarely presents. Had a neighbor out here in flyover country get mugged(!) in his barn yesterday. Dopers. No place is absolutely safe. You simply have to make your own safety.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 PM

186 posts, read 345,324 times
Never heard of a rape or violent crime, except from drunken idiots on campus and Downtown, usually college kids, but also oil rig workers with a brand new shiny paycheck on break for a few days. I just went up to the mountains for the weekend and got back to find MY CAR WINDOWS were left open all weekend, with like $5k in tools just sitting there on the street... out in the open. After a heart attack or two, I noticed nothing was touched. I don't even know where my house keys are, although more and more, I am wanting to get a security camera (getting old I guess). I have never been a victim of violent or property crime in 20 years here.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
I would also mostly ascribe it to a relatively large college in a system that is focusing on sexual assault issues among students, in a relatively small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: