Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM

119 posts, read 219,757 times

Advertisements

because my mother just told me that melbourne beach is dangerous and that there are crack areas in west melbourne. yet this board claims west melbourne is such a safe area and the beach. i was assuming babcock and university were just the bad areas and eau gallie but there could be more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william29 View Post
because my mother just told me that melbourne beach is dangerous and that there are crack areas in west melbourne. yet this board claims west melbourne is such a safe area and the beach. i was assuming babcock and university were just the bad areas and eau gallie but there could be more?
West Melbourne has some redneck areas, but it's hardly a "crack area". And if your mother is afraid of surfers, fishermen, and rich people then yes, Melbourne Beach is the bad part of town.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quote:
Posters on City-Data grossly over-generalize cities' bad areas almost as a rule. To some, it seems that every place outside of a gated community is a bad area.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
I think the over generalization is an important point both for safe and unsafe. Also need to do your own research in different ways. Ultimately it is personal choices that come into play. Personal safety is important though.

The index's here do show a general skewing so you should keep this in mind. There are some links in this thread that you may want to use as additional resources. Note there was a specific area in question here.

Should add the disclaimer to steer around the bit of drama appearing.

Has Naples always been so "High" crime?

Last edited by CDusr; 06-21-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
And if your mother is afraid of surfers, fishermen, and rich people then yes, Melbourne Beach is the bad part of town.
Ohmigod, that is a hoot and so accurate. Thanks I needed that laugh!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM

119 posts, read 219,757 times
idk she really thinks its a bad area. even my brother in law said there were people on the beaches drinking and doing drugs and all. idk what to think.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
idk she really thinks its a bad area. even my brother in law said there were people on the beaches drinking and doing drugs and all. idk what to think.
There are people out in the farm fields of Iowa and Illinois doing drugs so your point is? Maybe there is no safe place in the world?

We are at the beach all the time and can't say I ever saw a lot of druggees hanging where we go-anywhere from Cocoa Beach to Vero Beach.
Alcohol on the beach is actuially against the law on all county beaches. I think some of the towns allow it, though. If the beach has bars like The Sandbar or the pier in Cocoa Beach you are more likely to see people drinking but can't say I have ever seen a lot of drunks during the day.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 101,483 times
Crime is so low in all the beachside cities, including Melbourne Beach, that police in the area are free to focus on things other than violent/serious crimes. When my daughter was in preschool in Melbourne Beach and the class took a field trip, we could place a call to the police department and an officer would arrive in less than five minutes to help the class cross the street. No area with serious crime problems has the manpower to devote officers to serve as a crossing guard. On the flip side, you do have to watch out for speeding tickets around here because there are plenty of officers available to pop you for that.

Of course, any beach area will have some partiers, but it's not a huge issue (unless they are your neighbors, I guess). The beach cities are very family friendly.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
There are people out in the farm fields of Iowa and Illinois doing drugs so your point is? Maybe there is no safe place in the world?

We are at the beach all the time and can't say I ever saw a lot of druggees hanging where we go-anywhere from Cocoa Beach to Vero Beach.
Alcohol on the beach is actuially against the law on all county beaches. I think some of the towns allow it, though. If the beach has bars like The Sandbar or the pier in Cocoa Beach you are more likely to see people drinking but can't say I have ever seen a lot of drunks during the day.
Except for Indialantic and Satellite Beach, alcohol is allowed on all beaches in Brevard County. Even for county parks like Paradise Beach, it turns out that the park under county control ends at the crossovers and alcohol is allowed on the sand. Florida Today ran an article about this a few weeks ago. Melbourne Beach considered banning alcohol on the beach but decided not to. Here's the article, including confirmation from the parks department that alcohol is permitted at county beaches:

Melbourne Beach Commission considers ban on alcohol on town's beaches | FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 54,249 times
Default Due Diligence

Hi William29 -- Don't live in the area but have visited often and my impression is generally favorable. When relocating I try to spend time (both day and nighttime) in areas I may choose to live during several different times of year. You could also check the library for back issues of the local newspaper to get a feel for neighborhood concerns and general trends. If you have the opportunity to speak with locals all the better. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County