Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,116 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering in possibly relocating to the Melbourne Beach or Vero Beach area after a very contentious divorce.

I am 56 - very active - love the ocean - hoping to buy a home near the ocean.

I enjoy the outdoors, cultural activities, like to go out to hear live music, enjoy a great dinner, non-drinker, enjoy community type activities. I am a bit of a fashionista.

How easy is it to find new friends? And what is the dating scene for someone my age - professional, high morals, financially secure, non-substance abuser, healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Melbourne Beach is somewhat of an isolated area (the further south you go) with many vacation/estate-type homes. There is also very little entertainment in the area. I suppose it's possible that a group of single folks in their 50's and 60's might live in the MB area, but, you will likely find more of them and more activity in the Vero Beach area.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Melbourne Beach is somewhat of an isolated area (the further south you go) with many vacation/estate-type homes. There is also very little entertainment in the area. I suppose it's possible that a group of single folks in their 50's and 60's might live in the MB area, but, you will likely find more of them and more activity in the Vero Beach area.
Maybe, maybe not. Melbourne is a much bigger and more happening place than Vero. Melbourne's population alone is more than half the size of Indian river county's population. I'd look at beachside areas and viera

Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Thanks - I appreciate all opinions. I am at a cross road in my life. I am looking to buy a home near to the ocean. I have 2 sons away at college and another in high school that will be living with his dad - and will be bringing with me two family pets. A white German shepherd dog and a cat. So I need a home that can accommodate a family when needed. And also some dog running areas. I also would like to get back to designing clothes - so I need some extra space for a studio area.

After coming out of a very contentious divorce I am looking forward for time and space to recuperate and heal. And when ready to start dating again. So safety and a good community vibe is a must. I am not a party girl. But certainly would love to find a companion again that is honest and a non-substance abuser. Someone who is a professional, financially secured, healthy, tall and handsome. As I have all these traits minus the handsome part.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 26,729 times
May I suggest Cocoa Beach. There are many bungalows for rent or purchase. The place has a lot more going for it (think bars, restaurants and lots of tourist activities). Plus you can always rent a place on the beach for when family visits.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks - I am coming down from Michigan to your area tomorrow to start looking around. I will be working with a realtor to review the various areas.

I am so thankful for all the great comments.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Hi,

I did take in your area and have found to be very friendly. Lots of housing available at different price ranges. I was looking at the beach side areas.

My concern is getting use to living there year round. I found the humidity a bit oppressive - any comments from other transplants on their acclimation???

Thank-you,

Old 07-05-2014, 02:22 PM

232 posts, read 398,343 times
We recently transplanted in (Kissimmee last September and Merritt Island this March), and I am having a hard time acclimating. It's not as if it came as a surprise... I knew it before we came and we made several trips prior to the move during the dog days to get a feel for what to expect. However, adapting from a semi-desert (very dry) Southern California climate to Florida takes some getting used to. I know I'll manage. It just takes time.

That said, air conditioning is your friend, as are ceiling fans. If you have errands to run (or outside work to do), do it in the early morning hours, which tend to be quite pleasant. Toss any synthetic clothing you have, and replace it with cotton/linen. Find housing with a pool... either private or community. There's nothing more refreshing than a quick dip on a sticky day. Learn to love Land Shark beer (most refreshing "hot day" beer I've ever tried) and margaritas. Then you won't care how humid it is

Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
We recently transplanted in (Kissimmee last September and Merritt Island this March), and I am having a hard time acclimating. It's not as if it came as a surprise... I knew it before we came and we made several trips prior to the move during the dog days to get a feel for what to expect. However, adapting from a semi-desert (very dry) Southern California climate to Florida takes some getting used to. I know I'll manage. It just takes time.

That said, air conditioning is your friend, as are ceiling fans. If you have errands to run (or outside work to do), do it in the early morning hours, which tend to be quite pleasant. Toss any synthetic clothing you have, and replace it with cotton/linen. Find housing with a pool... either private or community. There's nothing more refreshing than a quick dip on a sticky day. Learn to love Land Shark beer (most refreshing "hot day" beer I've ever tried) and margaritas. Then you won't care how humid it is
Socal weather isn't worth the other baggage that it comes with. You can live like a king here vs there on the same kind of money

Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 AM

232 posts, read 398,343 times
Not quite like a king... but close. Finance and politics were the main drivers for the move. Still, after almost 60 years in California's climate, Florida's takes some getting used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County