Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 27,555 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Space Coast in June or July. I was wondering which parts of Merritt Island are better than others. I know school ratings are a good indicator, however my daughter goes to school online, so that's not an issue. My husband works for the DOD and will be working in Cape Canaveral. I work in IT and will be working from home. I want to be in an area where my daughter would feel safe at home during the day. I don't by any means want to be in a gated community, but I don't want neighbors that have yards that look like dumps either. What area's should I start looking in when we come down in May?

ps. We are not new to FL, we've just been away for 12 years. We lived in Naples for 15 years before we came up here, so we are just coming home. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 AM

232 posts, read 398,401 times
Most of the island is an eclectic community, where old mixes with the new. You'll often find houses built in the 60s on the same street as MacMansions. This is kind of what makes the island cool. What you won't find here are perfectly manicured lawns on every house on the block... except for the NE area up by the golf course. And even that area isn't "perfect". As I recall, there aren't a lot of gated communities here... and those that are, aren't really "hoity-toity". Most of the island is safe. I'd not worry too much about that.

Neighborhoods: Both spurs of the island south of the 520 remind me of the "Old South". Laid back and quiet. This area is Forrest Gump's "Box of Chocolates", and is where we found our little gem of a house.

Between the 520 and 528 is more "mainstream". Most of the island's commercial district is here, as is most tract housing (planned neighborhoods). Again, neighborhoods are a mixed bag of old and new(er).

The area north of the 528 might be what you're looking for. The houses tend to be newer, on larger lots. They also tend to be pricier.

You can see most of the island in one day. There are only 2 major north-south "corridors". My advice in May is to look at a map, break the island up in sections and spend a day just cruising around. We did this and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Great information! Thank you.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 PM

80 posts, read 142,259 times
Have you looked in Satellite Beach area? Beachside?
I feel you can't beat leaving walking distance from the beach

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 AM

Default Closing on July 10th!

We decided on a house on the west side of central Merritt Island. We just loved the house! And the location. Walking to the beach would have been nice, but it would not have been an everyday thing. Not having a yard large enough for the dogs would have had a negative impact every day. :-) And my husband gets the garage of his dreams.

Now if we can get everything here packed up and get our house rented.

We can't wait though! I wonder what fun events the locals like during the summer. When I was in Naples, there were a lot of events that the locals really enjoyed. It was like we had a really cool secret that we didn't have to share with the snowbirds.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:43 AM

232 posts, read 398,401 times
Congratulations! I hope you'll be as happy here as we are. If you have any questions on service providers, or anything else related to life here on the island, don't hesitate to drop me a message here.

A friendly piece of moving advice that we learned the hard way: If you are being professionally moved, have the movers do the packing, too. That way, they "own" the entire move in terms of responsibility/liability. Packing anything yourself can (and for us, did) result in a lot of finger pointing over lost/damaged items and inventory discrepancies at the end. IMHO, it's worth the additional $$.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zprface View Post
We decided on a house on the west side of central Merritt Island. We just loved the house! And the location. Walking to the beach would have been nice, but it would not have been an everyday thing. Not having a yard large enough for the dogs would have had a negative impact every day. :-) And my husband gets the garage of his dreams.

We can't wait though! I wonder what fun events the locals like during the summer. When I was in Naples, there were a lot of events that the locals really enjoyed. It was like we had a really cool secret that we didn't have to share with the snowbirds.
So is that between 520 and 528? Do you know the school district?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:

There will be some, but not like the rest of the year. Most events happen in fall, winter, and spring when you have a chance of cooler weather. Even our county and state fairs are not in the summer. There will usually be local fireworks for the 4th, but activities like concerts, games, town picnics, to celebrate the 4th generally start later-like about 4 or 5 hours before dark. Mostly we spend time at the beach, head North for cooler vacations, and try to find things to do in doors during he hottest part of the day.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
So is that between 520 and 528? Do you know the school district?
It is between 528 and 520 on the west side of the island. I have no idea what the school district is. My daughter goes to school online.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

22 days! That's how long it took to Get the loan CTC, the house packed up, and rented! We leave Virginia in less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by zprface; 06-25-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County