Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,070 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

We are starting to look at places to retire to in a few years. We are very interested in Florida. We have lived in NW Florida before, but we don't want to live there in retirement years. I've seen the area a bit near Port Canaveral while doing some excursions while cruising. Any way, I know nothing about the area and I don't know where to start.

We are driving down to Miami for a cruise in August and want to take some time to look around closer at some cities. Our budget would be roughly up to $600,000. We would like to build a new home. Just at first glance there doesn't seem to be lots of new builds in new neighborhoods ... right or wrong? How about buying land to build on in the future? Thoughts on areas to concentrate on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,686,403 times
There are empty lots available in parts of Cocoa Beach, but you will be paying top dollar now and not many to choose from. A shame you weren't ably consider this about 5-6 years ago (who knew) when prices were real lie and nothing new was being built. So many land foreclosures back then...
There are likely more choices in Merritt Island, especially north of 528.
I would definetly hook up with a realtor who knows the area. You may just find a really nice newer build for a better value in a potentially better area depending on what your preferences are (such as nearer to the beach, shopping vs. the desire for more land and privacy).

Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,305 times
Hi there!

I am a life-long resident of North Merritt Island and have watched this area grow over the past decade. There are several new communities planned for N. Merritt Island in the coming months. One development plans for at least 200 homes ranging from the high $200's to high $400's. Merritt Island offers a fair amount of vacant land (some direct river front) outside of these new communities. Another area to consider is Viera. It is booming with new construction.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:00 AM

210 posts, read 277,847 times
Hello Heather,
Christopher Burton homes are high end and they have several subdivisions in Viera. You could look at models when you come up for your cruise. DiPrima also has higher end subdivisions in Viera and Melbourne.
There are vacant lots beachside, but they are pricey. With the cost of the lot the house might be smaller than you could build elsewhere, but the value may be more than a larger home elsewhere. You would have to be ok with being in a mixed area of homes though because the majority of homes are older Florida ranches beachside. The ability to walk a couple blocks and be on the beach can't be beat though.
If you have any other questions or want more information feel free to message me.
Take Care,
Wendy

Last edited by BrevardREALTOR; 03-02-2017 at 05:27 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Would be a shame to get almost to the beach and still have to get in a car and drive across a bridge to see it. Cocoa Beach is within your budget although inventory is extremely low. You might have to be patient until something you like comes available but I doubt you'll ever regret living in a small beach town. Yes, you can get newer and bigger for the same dollar in Merritt Island or Viera but you can't stroll to the beach from either.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:59 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,070 times
Thanks for all the info. We're not really interested being on the beach. Question about building practices in the area... are all homes built now with block construction?

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM

For the most part yes. It is the best way to ensure discounts on insurance. I don't think anyone is building wood frame anymore in Florida. There are strict regulations for window, doors and roof designs, all to withstand the potential for Huricane winds (130 miles an hour I believe). Any local builder will know all this and should follow all modern codes or they will never pass final permits and inspections.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Thanks for all the info. We're not really interested being on the beach. Question about building practices in the area... are all homes built now with block construction?
First floor usually is, but a 2nd floor is usually frame on the mainland anyway. I think you can still build an all frame house to code.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:32 AM

210 posts, read 277,847 times
There are still wood frame houses being built to code, but the general consensus is that block is recommended. You sure can get a lot more house for the money by having a short drive to the beach (assuming you even want to go to the beach)!

Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM

There may be a handful of builders still building frame in Brevard Counnty (Bucks Carpenrty is one that comes up on a Google Search). But unless your income allows for it, you will be paying a heafty (like 40% more) premium on your insurance policy (especially if not too close to a fire department station). That is a yearly expense I would prefer not to have to pay. You would also be wise to take out a termite bond on the house both for personal peace of mind and future selling opportunity. That can add $300-$600 a year as well.
I do love the architectural freedom and design possibilities a frame home can offer (lived in frame homes all my life in the north east), but for my hard earned dollars, in Florida, I would pass on this option if purchasing again.
Yes, frame is sometime used in 2nd floor builds above the initial block 1st floor. The rating becomes "combination" but if more than 60% (I think) is block, you get the better insurance rate. Framing is still cheaper to build in most cases, but builders know what sells in a given location and tend to favor that method. My Moto always is do what makes sense in your local area, both for today and in the future. Rarely do people stay in the same house all their life. The insurance companies forced the bad stigma of frame and now that is a rarity in this area for new builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County