Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times

Advertisements

Is there a particular book I should read? How do I convert to Buddhism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Find your local Buddist temple. They typically have classes several times a week, and everyone is welcome. They will be very happy to answer all your questions!

**Edit: I see you're in AZ. Here's a listing of Arizona temples:

http://www.patheos.com/Directory/lis...ty/Buddhist/AZ

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,432 times
You do not need to convert to Buddhism. They are many sects,(Theravada, Mahayana, Zen, and etc.). search for the place near you and go there to see if the practice is in line with your way of thinking.

]Wat Promkunaram
8102 W. Trafalgar Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85033, tel
623-935-2276

Prescott Tibetan Buddhist Center
225 N. Washington St., Prescott, AZ 86301 tel 928-776-8228

I am not associate or been to those places. just go there and see.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
You do not need to convert to Buddhism. They are many sects,(Theravada, Mahayana, Zen, and etc.). search for the place near you and go there to see if the practice is in line with your way of thinking.

]Wat Promkunaram
8102 W. Trafalgar Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85033, tel 623-935-2276

Prescott Tibetan Buddhist Center
225 N. Washington St., Prescott, AZ 86301 tel 928-776-8228

I am not associate or been to those places. just go there and see.

Yeah, I was looking around and I did find one in Prescott. But it's not the same place you mentioned. This one is called the Tibet Gallery and it's off of West Gurley St.

Thank you so much...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I looked up the one on N. Washington Ave. (it's an Avenue, not Street) and it's real close (real close to the baseball field and Whataburger).

That's the one I'll probably start going, most likely.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Do some reading.
Buddhist magazines are a good way to get a sense of Buddhism.
There are many streams of Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism may or may not suit you.
Before you jump into temple participation, etc., it might be wise to do a lot of reading so that you can make the most intelligent choices regarding a direction and practice.
BuddhaNets Buddhist Web Links: Magazines / Journals.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Walpola Rahula 'What the Buddha taught'
Christmas Humphries 'Buddhism'

Indeed, Buddhism does not require a formal conversion as such, but if you go as far as reciting buddhist prayers, you'll find yourself declaring that you are taking 'refuge' in the Three Jewels, Buddha, Monkood and the 'Way'. And if you were to enter the monkhood (1)you'd agree to abide by the rules.

It might be as well to decide which 'kind' of Buddhism you want, Therevada, Mahayana or what we think of as Tibetan buddhism, which is mahayana with a lot of the old Bon religion incorporated.

Therevada would appeal to the more practical and cerebral and mahayana in more colourful and mystic with loads of assorted gods and demigods and a Buddha who is pretty much god of the universe.

(1) for you you'd become a Yogini or nun. Unlike the christian tradition, one can enter the monk or nunhood for a week, a month or years or permanent and apply to leave whenever one likes.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-19-2009 at 03:23 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Indeed, Buddhism does not require a formal conversion as such, but if you go as far as reciting buddhist prayers, you'll find yourself declaring that you are taking 'refuge' in the Three Jewels, Buddha, Monkood and the 'Way'. And if you were to enter the monkhood (1)you'd agree to abide by the rules.

It might be as well to decide which 'kind' of Buddhism you want, Therevada, Mahayana or what we think of as Tibetan buddhism, which is mahayana with a lot of the old Bon religion incorporated.

Therevada would appeal to the more practical and cerebral and mahayana in more colourful and mystic with loads of assorted gods and demigods and a Buddha who is pretty much god of the universe.

(1) for you you'd become a Yogini or nun. Unlike the christian tradition, one can enter the monk or nunhood for a week, a month or years or permanent and apply to leave whenever one likes.
No, I don't want to go that far into it, the nunhood or anything, I just want a better way to be spiritual and live a happier lifestyle. Just something to make me happy everyday.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

You can recite Buddhist "prayers" without taking refuge.
Taking refuge is done with intention.
And Buddha is not considered "pretty much god of the universe"!!!!!
Buddha means "awakened one" and the historical Buddha (Siddhartha) is one of countless Buddhas.
"All sentient beings have Buddha nature" .... we all the the potential to awaken.
Becoming a monk or a nun is not done lightly.
O.P. ... if you live in an area that has a spiritual bookstore (doesn't Prescott have one?) i'd go in there and just start browsing through the various books on Buddhism.
Or, if Prescott doesn't have a spiritual bookstore, go down to Sedona, avoid the new age riff-raff (a difficult proposition) and find a bookstore down there and do some reading.
See what and/or who you resonate with ... what inspires you and take it from there.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 AM

307 posts, read 560,346 times
Default How do I Get Started in Buddhism?

LinaJo76: There are many approaches...but ultimately, only one way for you (that you find to your liking). I can recommend the approach I started with some years ago...read what Buddhism is all about first. There are many books out there that will give you a good introduction to what Buddhism is about. But there is one book I thought that did what all the others combined might do for you. I don't like the title..but it's called: Buddhism for Dummies (I blackened out any reference to the word Dummies on my copy...and wrote on the first page: One who seeks the truth is not a dummy). Written by Jonathan Landaw and Stephan Bodian. It is probably available at the library where you live...Prescott Valley, right? (I was there from November to January 2013-14). It is one book I thought that gives the reader a comprehensive but easy to follow introduction to Buddhism. With a twist of humor.

It starts out with What is Buddhism? Then walks you through Buddha's early life...the path he walked on in search of answers to human suffering, and on to his enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. Goes on to the development and spread of Buddhism to the present, and goes into the different sects of Buddhism...Thervada (or Hinayana), Mahayana, Vajrayana (or Tantric) and Zen and into further subsects within each of the major sects. Next covers the Practice...meditation, describes a day in the life of a Buddhist, walking in Buddha's footsteps. It then goes into the essence of the Buddhist path...enlightenment, Life, Death, Karma, getting away from the cycle of dissatisfaction, and achieving your highest potential. The next chapter deals with common misconceptions about Buddhism, and ten ways Buddhism can help you deal with life's problems. In the Appendix...you'll find a glosssary of Buddhist terms and a list of excellent Buddhist resources you can look up later. This is the only book you need to get you jumpstarted.

Another excellent book...a small one, a pocketbook, entitled BUDDHA...by Karen Armstrong, a former Catholic nun. Beautifully written, quite authoritative and fascinating reading into the life of the Buddha.

Then, after you acquire a clear understanding of the various styles of Buddhist practice...you can decide what appeals to you best. Don't rush into it...check it out, and if you can, participate in some of the teaching sessions or rituals. Where you feel most comfortable and just right...your heart and mind will tell you.

May you find the path that will lead you to reality, peace..and joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism