Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times

Advertisements

In Amherst I see many Asians and Indians and third world head covered types ...oh yeah and a few Caucasians turn up every now and then...mostly in Wegmans take out section! I went to an open house on Sunday in Amherst and I was the only non Asian in the house! What brings them to Buffalo in such numbers? Suny? I know Buffalo lost a lot of population due to the loss of their manufacturing and anyone with a pulse has been welcome with open arms as long as they pay these super duper taxes and keep the coffers filled but still...have we lost part of what made us so cool as a city? Our character? Are we just another hybrid rust belt city trying to transition into biotech and shale today?

I wanna a pierogi! A real babka!

Buffalo has changed so much since I knew it as a kid...so where did all the Polish people go? North Carolina? Florida? Are there parts of the city still rich in their polish population? If so which parts? Have the "hipsters driven Stash and Stella out of Black Rock? I know the westside is no longer Italian...the Eastside is the "hood"
Kenmore has a lot of Italian population...maybe Cheektowaga? Somebody once posted a demographic landscape of the burbs of Buffalo..

and please don't say the Broadway Market is the mecca of Polish culture- that place is a joke and a very dicey location...I did not feel very safe the one time I did go there. Most of the food looked like it had been sitting around since 1962...oh yeah this isn't a post that's asking where to go for pierogies..the question runs a little deeper than that! Paging Stella! cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
Oh my god, you were the only non-Asian among the "third world head covered types?" It must have been awful. Did you feel like you were in the minority? Why is that so bad? Are minorities treated differently in this country?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
In Amherst I see many Asians and Indians and third world head covered types ...oh yeah and a few Caucasians turn up every now and then...mostly in Wegmans take out section! I went to an open house on Sunday in Amherst and I was the only non Asian in the house! What brings them to Buffalo in such numbers? Suny? I know Buffalo lost a lot of population due to the loss of their manufacturing and anyone with a pulse has been welcome with open arms as long as they pay these super duper taxes and keep the coffers filled but still...have we lost part of what made us so cool as a city? Our character? Are we just another hybrid rust belt city trying to transition into biotech and shale today?

Buffalo has changed so much since I knew it as a kid...so where did all the Polish people go? North Carolina? Florida? Are there parts of the city still rich in their polish population? If so which parts? Have the "hipsters driven Stash and Stella out of Black Rock? I know the westside is no longer Italian...the Eastside is the "hood"
Kenmore has a lot of Italian population...maybe Cheektowaga? Somebody once posted a demographic landscape of the burbs of Buffalo..

and please don't say the Broadway Market is the mecca of Polish culture- that place is a joke and a very dicey location...I did not feel very safe the one time I did go there. Most of the food looked like it had been sitting around since 1962...oh yeah this isn't a post that's asking where to go for pierogies..the question runs a little deeper than that! Paging Stella! cheers!
Most of the old school Polish have died out, what's left is still found in places like Kaisertown and parts of Cheektowaga. The second, third and fourth generation Poles have scattered to places like Lancaster, Alden, West Senaca and Hamburg.

I know what you mean, I miss the old "Dat Dare" Polish people of my youth and the culture that went along with it. Though it still hangs around in subtle ways that you may not notice unless you've left the area and come back to visit.

As for Amherst, like many upper-middle class suburbs that were once primarily Jewish, are becoming increasingly Asian. I see the exact same thing where I live in Long Island. Many of the north shore Long Island communities like Roslyn, Port Washington, Plainview, and Dix Hills are seeing a rapid growth in the Asian population. My son's pre-school is over 1/2 Asian. My cousin who lives in East Amherst reports a similar demographic changeover, same with family in Fairfax County Virginia. It's a national trend in well educated higher income communities.

What hasn't happened in WNY that has happened in many many other places is the replacement of working/lower middle class whites with working/lower middle class Hispanics. In many other cities places like South Buffalo, West Seneca, Cheektowaga and Tonawanda would have huge Hispanic populations, but that is clearly not the case. Because of this I aspect, I expect WNY to remain a white working class stronghold compared to other areas of the country.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times
Quote:

To the poster: I would be very happy to accompany you to the Broadway market for Pierogi!
white , single female here

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
No need to go to the Broadway market for pastry: Chruskiki , from the Broadway market, now has a bakery in Depew
Buffalo Angel Wings

So is Renee's ( no website, very old school
http://www.yelp.com/biz/renees-bakery-depew

Scharf's is still on the eastsidce

Sloan Market has some goodies, like sausage (Reiman St. Sloan)
-----------------------
Many Polish went gone to Sloan, Depew and Cheektowaga a long time ago. How long have you been gone?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Most of the old school Polish have died out, what's left is still found in places like Kaisertown and parts of Cheektowaga. The second, third and fourth generation Poles have scattered to places like Lancaster, Alden, West Senaca and Hamburg.

I know what you mean, I miss the old "Dat Dare" Polish people of my youth and the culture that went along with it. Though it still hangs around in subtle ways that you may not notice unless you've left the area and come back to visit.

As for Amherst, like many upper-middle class suburbs that were once primarily Jewish, are becoming increasingly Asian. I see the exact same thing where I live in Long Island. Many of the north shore Long Island communities like Roslyn, Port Washington, Plainview, and Dix Hills are seeing a rapid growth in the Asian population. My son's pre-school is over 1/2 Asian. My cousin who lives in East Amherst reports a similar demographic changeover, same with family in Fairfax County Virginia. It's a national trend in well educated higher income communities.

What hasn't happened in WNY that has happened in many many other places is the replacement of working/lower middle class whites with working/lower middle class Hispanics. In many other cities places like South Buffalo, West Seneca, Cheektowaga and Tonawanda would have huge Hispanic populations, but that is clearly not the case. Because of this I aspect, I expect WNY to remain a white working class stronghold compared to other areas of the country.
Also, in Upstate NY metros, you'll notice that many middle class and up Blacks seem to follow Jews. This seems to be the case with Amherst, as well as other Upstate towns like Brighton, western Irondequoit, DeWitt, Vestal, New Hartford and Niskayuna, among some others.

I believe that there's a decent Hispanic presence in Lackawanna. Dunkirk is about 20% Hispanic.

There are quite a few Arabs in Lackawanna too.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, in Upstate NY metros, you'll notice that many middle class and up Blacks seem to follow Jews. This seems to be the case with Amherst, as well as other Upstate towns like Brighton, western Irondequoit, DeWitt, Vestal, New Hartford and Niskayuna, among some others.

I believe that there's a decent Hispanic presence in Lackawanna. Dunkirk is about 20% Hispanic.

There are quite a few Arabs in Lackawanna too.
Yes, middle class blacks seem to follow Jews in upstate Metros, not so much on Long Island. The only middle class black neighborhood one I can think of immediately adjacent to a Jewish neighborhood in Long Island is Wheatley Heights. There are several in Queens though.

I live in Port Washington and most of the blacks live in the one housing project in town, pretty much the same with Roslyn and Manhasset too. Not sure why middle/upper income blacks avoid these areas; there are lots of Hispanics and Asians here so race isn't a problem with the residents.

There may be small hispanic communities in Dunkirk and Lakawanna ,but not like the widespread presence in nearly all areas of the NYC metro area. There are many middle class majority Non-Hispanic White school districts in the NYC suburbs that are 10%-20% Hispanic; you just don't see that in WNY, most are under 5%. These are in addition to the many suburban school districts that have a Hispanic majority or plurality. Hispanics come from a wide number of Latin American countries in the NYC Metro while upstate they are mainly Peurto Rican.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Yes, middle class blacks seem to follow Jews in upstate Metros, not so much on Long Island. The only middle class black neighborhood one I can think of immediately adjacent to a Jewish neighborhood in Long Island is Wheatley Heights. There are several in Queens though.

I live in Port Washington and most of the blacks live in the one housing project in town, pretty much the same with Roslyn and Manhasset too. Not sure why middle/upper income blacks avoid these areas; there are lots of Hispanics and Asians here so race isn't a problem with the residents.

There may be small hispanic communities in Dunkirk and Lakawanna ,but not like the widespread presence in nearly all areas of the NYC metro area. There are many middle class majority Non-Hispanic White school districts in the NYC suburbs that are 10%-20% Hispanic; you just don't see that in WNY, most are under 5%. These are in addition to the many suburban school districts that have a Hispanic majority or plurality. Hispanics come from a wide number of Latin American countries in the NYC Metro while upstate they are mainly Peurto Rican.
Very true.... Native Americans are the only group that WNY/other parts of Upstate NY has more of in terms of school districts due to the reservations and some that live in pockets of some of the cities and towns. Akron, Salamanca, Silver Creek, Lake Shore, Niagara-Wheatfield and a little bit in Buffalo and Niagara Falls comes to mind.

As for a suburban school district in Upstate NY with a good amount of Black and Hispanic students, the East Irondequoit SD is around 18-20% Black and 10-12% Hispanic. Lackawanna is 19% and 6%. Dunkirk is 9% and 41%(2.5% mixed race,
Asian and NA). I believe that Dunkirk and Lackawanna still have a strong Polish presence too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-15-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:

OMG your comment is so ignorant I can only hope your are kidding. WNY has over 300,000 citizens of Polish descent according to the 2010 US Census based upom the Census American Community Survey. Most of the foods you are citing are available at the larger Tops or Wegmans supermarkets

Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
You wanna see Polish people? Come to Chicago. Chicago has always had a HUGE Polish population and still does. And I don't think it will change any time soon either. Chicago has more Poles than Warsaw (no joke, look it up).

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area