Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM

271 posts, read 532,600 times

Advertisements

We have a weekend getaway to Buffalo planned, have some questions... I've searched and can't find anything specific.

We won't have a car and we love walking, but I'm just not sure how feasible any of what we want to do is.

1. Walking from Fort Erie into Buffalo... it says the Peace Bridge has a pedestrian tunnel, but we're not locals... is it closed seasonally or for repairs? Is walking across the bridge common?

2. If we're able to do that, are there cabs waiting at the border in Buffalo or should I arrange for pick-up beforehand?

3. Some concerns about pedestrian traffic/street life and activity during downtown on the weekend, because it makes sense for us to get a hotel there. We'll be there for City of Night, but I'm unsure of the scale and popularity of the event... will downtown be active and safe for late-night revelry, walking to and from places?

4. I'd like to fit in a nice, long walk, with some shopping, lunch, etc, with some density and street life. Is there really a place to do this? I'm guessing Allentown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM

24 posts, read 43,179 times
I think there is a trail(Lake Erie Seaway) along the shore of Lake Erie all the way up to the Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario......if that is what you are looking for .....really long walk.....it may take days to finish......

I don't think there is much going on in downtown during the weekend, but I am not sure. I would suggest a walk on Main St from Eggertsville to the Village of Williamsville, many beautiful older houses, shopping, dining and several small parks(Island Park, Glen Falls Park etc.)

Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM

3,584 posts, read 3,088,595 times
If you are looking to walk, I would start at Lafayette Square, walk to Niagara Square (City Hall), Niagara to South Elmwood, then North up Elmwood Avenue all the way to Delaware Park, East on Nottingham (by the Historical Society and Japanese Gardens), cross Delaware Avenue (alongside the park) and either go off along the park ring road by the playing fields and zoo, and go all the way to Parkside and look around the Parkside neighborhood (between Parkside and Main) and you can visit the Frank Lloyd Wright house by walking up Jewett Parkway and Summit Avenue. That's about 6 miles total. Includes shops, schools, museums, etc.

Allentown area, especially side streets near Elmwood and Allen, includes occupied homes built from the early/mid 1800's to very early 1900's. Take a look at info on Garden Walk maps, or Allentown walking tour maps. Hundreds of homes in this area are heavily landscaped and now participate in Garden Walk, which will be held in mid July this year.

There should be no issues if you want to veer off and explore anything west of Main Street outside of a few un-gentrified blocks between Niagara Street and West Avenue.

If you want you can head back downtown by taking Main Street, or catching the rail back. Not as much street activity, but lots to look at on Main Street and streets immediately West.

Williamsville is a nice area, but less to see as it is in the 'burbs..

Last edited by RocketSci; 05-12-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM

252 posts, read 650,501 times
Yes, you can walk across the Peace Bridge for free. If you don't mind a moderate walk, it's no problem to walk from the Buffalo side of the bridge up Porter Avenue to Allentown.

The best street for density and street life on the weekend is probably Elmwood, between Allen and Forest.

City of Night is in an industrial area south of downtown. Many people ride bikes down. I'm not sure if I would walk it, especially at night coming back.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM

3,584 posts, read 3,088,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
If you are looking to walk, I would start at Lafayette Square, walk to Niagara Square (City Hall), Niagara to South Elmwood, then North up Elmwood Avenue all the way to Delaware Park, East on Nottingham (by the Historical Society and Japanese Gardens), cross Delaware Avenue (alongside the park) and either go off along the park ring road by the playing fields and zoo, and go all the way to Parkside and look around the Parkside neighborhood (between Parkside and Main) and you can visit the Frank Lloyd Wright house by walking up Jewett Parkway and Summit Avenue. That's about 6 miles total. Includes shops, schools, museums, etc.

Allentown area, especially side streets near Elmwood and Allen, includes occupied homes built from the early/mid 1800's to very early 1900's. Take a look at info on Garden Walk maps, or Allentown walking tour maps. Hundreds of homes in this area are heavily landscaped and now participate in Garden Walk, which will be held in mid July this year.

There should be no issues if you want to veer off and explore anything west of Main Street outside of a few un-gentrified blocks between Niagara Street and West Avenue.

If you want you can head back downtown by taking Main Street, or catching the rail back. Not as much street activity, but lots to look at on Main Street and streets immediately West.

Williamsville is a nice area, but less to see as it is in the 'burbs..
Thinking about it maybe instead of S. Elmwood walk north on Delaware from Niagara Square to Virginia St, then left on Virginia to Elmwood. There is more on that part of Delaware than on Elmwood.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,823,445 times
Crossing means passports. You can walk from Ft. Erie across. Check entry rules, both countries.

Get an NFTA schedule for all North south/ buses you might use, Sat and Sun schedules. Buy a day or weekend pass -- or plan to spend for a cab. You will most likely need to call one. I'm sure the duty free shop is a safe place to wait. Or, walk to Elmwood and north to Delaware Park and take in all the sights and shops. You might want to walk through the park or over on Forest back on Delaware and see it ( many mansions along the way and downtown has great architecture). The Naval Park is open; do not know how you'd get there w/out car.

Enjoy and wear really comfortable shoes.

Rocket Sci also has a good sample of Buffalo

Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
Yes, you can walk across the Peace Bridge for free. If you don't mind a moderate walk, it's no problem to walk from the Buffalo side of the bridge up Porter Avenue to Allentown.

City of Night is in an industrial area south of downtown. Many people ride bikes down. I'm not sure if I would walk it, especially at night coming back.

Architecture from Buffalo's golden days will be a highlight of the trip, so I'm very interested in checking out many of the older, large homes.

Looked up a walking route from Fort Erie to Elmwood/Allen... It suggests, once in Buffalo, taking Baird through the park to Porter to North to Wadsworth to Allen. Would this be considered a safe walk at, say, 12-1PM on a Saturday? Not concerned about urban grit/prairies/vacants... more concerned with sketchy dudes hanging out in front of liquor stores looking for sitting ducks on foot. But it seems OK, no?

Being able to go to Allentown and Elmwood Village immediately would save us a bit of time and allow us to do/see more.

Regarding City of Night, I can see that cars are not permitted on the site and will be turned back at the Ohio bridge. Kind of a silly question... but if most attendees bike there, is there suitable transit available? I took a look at a walking route via Google Maps... and yeah, there's no way I'm walking that early in the morning.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks all for the tips.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM

252 posts, read 650,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Looked up a walking route from Fort Erie to Elmwood/Allen... It suggests, once in Buffalo, taking Baird through the park to Porter to North to Wadsworth to Allen. Would this be considered a safe walk at, say, 12-1PM on a Saturday? Not concerned about urban grit/prairies/vacants... more concerned with sketchy dudes hanging out in front of liquor stores looking for sitting ducks on foot. But it seems OK, no?
That should be no problem at all during the day. At worst you might get asked for spare change on Wadsworth or Allen.

Quote:
Regarding City of Night, I can see that cars are not permitted on the site and will be turned back at the Ohio bridge. Kind of a silly question... but if most attendees bike there, is there suitable transit available? I took a look at a walking route via Google Maps... and yeah, there's no way I'm walking that early in the morning.
Transit will work fine to get there, but I'm not sure what the options are at 1 AM if you close the show out. Although you might be able to hook up with a big group that is walking back to downtown together. I'm not sure I would leave things up to chance like that, though.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,823,445 times
Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority

The schedules are all there. We do lack in transit at night and Sat. and Sun. schedules are different than the week ( as in : less transit, period.). You can look up any route you seek. The rail will get you fairly reliable transit up and down Main and walking distance to most things.

NFTA-Metro | Metro Fares

A day pass is going to make your life really easy if you plan get on, get off ( buses)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area