Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 751 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 28 years old and going back to school. We are re-locating from Rochester and looking at an apartment on Peter Street. It's in between Grant Street and Elmwood. Is it a safe area? I will be going to Buff State this fall, and sharing the apartment with my husband who is a safety freak! It's so close to Buff State, I really want it to work out. (P.s- we have a big dog!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
I am not sure about that specific street, but that areas is not really known for being one of the better areas to reside.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,823,445 times
In the 1970s I had friends living on Peter St. while at State. It wasn't really great then and I doubt it has gotten into the definition of a better area since. OTOH, you might have more trouble getting a place to have a large dog.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times
Grant-Amherst is a working class neighborhood that fell on hard times twenty or so years ago as owner-occupiers died/moved out and absentee landlords bought many homes. It's slowly making a modest come back as it's being discovered by hipsters -- and Buff State College students looking for cheaper rents than they can find south of the campus. My family's roots in that neighborhood go back nearly 80 years. My grandparents lived on Grote and on Marion Streets, I lived on Marion Street for 20 years, and my cousin still lives in the neighborhood. It's a much more racially and ethnically diverse neighborhood now than when I moved from there in the late 1980s, and sometimes in the minds of some Buffalo residents, mixed neighborhoods = bad neighborhoods. I wouldn't buy in that neighborhood but I think renting is fine.

As for safety, I think it's decently safe for an urban neighborhood in a large city. It's much safer than any neighborhood along Grant Street south of the Expressway. It's probably about as safe as many of the neighborhoods south of Forest and west of Richmond. It's not a neighborhood with drive by shootings or home invasions or drug deals openly going down on street corners or even burglaries. It's more the kind of neighborhood where there might be some petty crime (don't leave valuables in your car and always lock it) or vandalism or the occasional low level dealer selling out of his/her home (10 years or so ago, a meth lab exploded at the intersection of Reservation and Marion Streets). Muggings and armed robberies aren't common at all in that area.

I don't think it would unsafe a neighborhood for you to walk around in during daylight or to come home to from a night class, park on your street, and walk to your house, either. It's probably not unsafe for you and your hubby to walk home from Wegmans after dark or from Casey's Tavern at closing time, either.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM

252 posts, read 650,501 times
I think Linda has the right of it. I would use caution, especially at night, but the neighborhood is definitely on an upward trajectory. The Amherst Street business corridor has really made some leaps in the last few years, with higher-end businesses like Black Rock Kitchen & Bar and Delish! joining long-term businesses on the street.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,823,445 times
Body discovered on Amherst Street in Black Rock believed to be missing teen - City & Region - The Buffalo News

A young boy living on Peter Street was murdered in the area over an iPhone. This is one of several News articles on it. There was quite a bit of talk on the news radio about it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area