Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 AM

189 posts, read 196,784 times

Advertisements

So what is it that local Western New Yorkers do to not just get through the winter months, but to embrace it? What is it that makes someone want to reside in Western New York not despite the winter but BECAUSE of it? I imagine hockey and ice skating is one. But what else? Maybe there are good indoor things to embrace as well? Your thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM

84 posts, read 78,015 times
Skiing.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:06 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,282,746 times
Drinking and eating

Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 AM

People are tougher here and put up with the weather ones that don’t move. Case closed

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,688,259 times
Unless you go skiing or enjoy getting hammered indoors every night for months on end to get through the snowy misery, you're better off moving south like the thousands of NYers who leave each year.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:47 PM

94,005 posts, read 124,842,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
People are tougher here and put up with the weather ones that don’t move. Case closed
^This or people just do things indoors. Man, you would think that winter is just a constant snow fest.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Unless you go skiing or enjoy getting hammered indoors every night for months on end to get through the snowy misery, you're better off moving south like the thousands of NYers who leave each year.
I moved and hated it, that’s why Charlotte is called south buffalo to the transplants whom all relocated there.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Sad but true. I visit WNY 3-4 weeks per year, and it is the same old with everyone doing nothing but going to the bar. Much worse during winter. I found it quite boring.

Moved down south and lost 60 pounds. It will be 70 degrees at my house this weekend I'll be grilling and cleaning up the yard.

I swim outside 7 months out of the year, and play tennis and golf weekly, and have started hiking.

There is so much to do, I am still exploring after six years of being down south. My quality of life is much higher, and the heat doesn't bother me because central air works fine.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM

5,886 posts, read 5,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This or people just do things indoors. Man, you would think that winter is just a constant snow fest.
I definitely wouldn't say New Yorkers are tougher. What I've found us that a humans body will acclimate to the climate in which they live. New Yorkers are used to long and brutal winters--so winter isn't as long and brutal to most New Yorkers...

Conversely, most southerners are used to extended warm and even hot weather, with exotic bugs to boot, so the weather isn't as brutal to them. It's both ways...

I'm sorry, one if my pet peeves is the "New Yorkers are tougher" than everyone else stereotype. That wasn't my reality and I have a litany of examples I lived through in New York but I won't divert the thread...

Winter is a constant snow fest, ck. Again, your perspective is based on being of and from there. Only few places in the US get as much snow as Upstate New York. To act as if that amount of snow and the length of winter is common to the majority Americans is asinine. The winters are long and you can literally see snow anywhere from September to May (and I saw snow in both of those months there so it isn't uncommon)...

Personally, I'm not one of these people to beat up on or call out people for their weather preferences. But everyone doesn't want to stay indoors or be forces to brave harsh elements in the winter if they want to do something...

Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 AM

That’s funny I was the only one cutting my grass when it was hot and very humid when I lived in the south. All the natives were inside. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area