Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

I may be moving up from NYC. NYC is great in many ways but in others its extremely expensive and the dynamic of the city being about who has money... for me I want to succeed in business but not the kind of person that views making my life unbalanced a positive thing. I just want to be happy. I want to enjoy my life. I miss my deep soulful connections. I have friends all over and around the globe but in NYC I just have trouble making friends and getting out there... It may be due to me I am a bit of an introvert but its just been easier everywhere else to make friends. I have amazing medicaid here...Its the only thing that is really positive. Its really awesome. I have a lot of coverage, but sadly a relationship may not be working out and it has left me with a lot of hurt of whats been done to me. We live together (technically its his). They have been everything to me but I attract men that mistreat me. NYC is just bad for dating if you don't want to be the flavor of the week, month or year...

I do not want to do the roommate situation again here. I've got some good people here and there, but often I got set up with completely neurotic & crazy roommates. I have ptsd as it is and I dont want to deal with that. I came here to be in a relationship... and I do not want to enable myself or enable the guy who does not see my worth. I do not want to be tempted go back to someone who has betrayed me. Leaving completely is my only option to save myself from further mistreatment. I always go back. I can make myself wherever I go. I'm my own boss. I've been through A LOT. I like helping others but I cannot help others when I need to heal from this pain. I need a place maybe not permanent to heal.....

Heal from what I've gone through. I am just not doing well. I dont want to get into all the specifics but its health issues, trauma, heartbreak, and just needing to start new..I need to be around good energy and I'm no longer willing to sacrifice that. I have a friend who lives here in Buffalo that I've known for 17 yrs and is a great person I can unbelievably trust. I don't have many of those and thats honestly why its appealing to me. They arent asking much from me. Expense wouldn't be an issue. But medicaid is the number one thing... I struggle with health issues and need to have healthcare. My family lives in another state close to 7 hours from buffalo and. My family isnt the type to put me up without asking for a lot while at the same time...being my family. That state does not have good medicaid. I know I wouldn't know many people in Buffalo but financially I could actually get back on my feet.. I would like to focus on working, being creative and going to therapy. I don't mind it being on the colder side.

So while this question is about medicaid. I guess I am asking if you think someone like me will like it here? I'm thinking of going back to community college.... and thinking new york has better financial aid...in general... I was going to go to a CUNY school...but I could try a SUNY. I was supposed to go to school in the fall.... but I am not staying here... I can resend in my FAFSA with new schools even if its too late for fall semester. I am happy that I could visit Canada, I like health food, working out, I don't drink. I love art, writing, I went to acting school in NY. Very much so a creative but also a lover of people and having true close connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:43 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,226,270 times
sounds like you will fit right in with the neighborhood in South Buffalo where I resided.

Nobody went to work in the morning besides me, and the pizza delivery man would make his rounds to all the houses where nobody worked every night.

My two neighbors were on disability the whole time I lived there, and they had no problems going camping or drinking beer all the time.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,468 times
I work for myself. I work from home. I don't really want to get on disability, but I do need the medical care. I'm also curious what the limit of what I can make in NYC and how that might be different with the medicaid in Buffalo. Nyc is a higher cost of living. I guess the only reason I would prove myself to be disabled is so that I could make more and retain my healthcare (they have a system like that in NYC but I don't need it here since I don't make enough).

I read through the comments about Buffalo are there nice parts with lots of nature? Is it pretty? I love plants, trees. I'm used to NYC... I know ya'll have Whole Foods. I'm good with that. How are the people? What types of people live in Buffalo?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 PM

80 posts, read 51,651 times
I just moved from NYC not too long ago and applied for medical coverage through the marketplace. My Blue Cross Blue Shield bill is 20 a month and everything is included except for vision.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 PM

In terms of the types of people...it depends on which part you are moving to. I consulted with this helpful forum before relocating and move to Williamsville (20 min away from Buffalo). I never thought I would go through culture shock but I did. Overall, I don't regret my move because my kids love it here. I miss deeply everyday the diversity NYC had. I could go anywhere there as a black person without being stared at. One thing I noticed quickly on this side is people are quick to sneer at someone in public. That's a big no no downstate. I was at Pizza Hut on Sheridan and this girl behind counter had no problem making a loud remark about what another customer behind me was wearing... Even in some places I see the same thing. But for the most part some folks are cool and some are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEnchantment View Post
I work for myself. I work from home. I don't really want to get on disability, but I do need the medical care. I'm also curious what the limit of what I can make in NYC and how that might be different with the medicaid in Buffalo. Nyc is a higher cost of living. I guess the only reason I would prove myself to be disabled is so that I could make more and retain my healthcare (they have a system like that in NYC but I don't need it here since I don't make enough).

I read through the comments about Buffalo are there nice parts with lots of nature? Is it pretty? I love plants, trees. I'm used to NYC... I know ya'll have Whole Foods. I'm good with that. How are the people? What types of people live in Buffalo?

Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 AM

94,107 posts, read 124,939,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
In terms of the types of people...it depends on which part you are moving to. I consulted with this helpful forum before relocating and move to Williamsville (20 min away from Buffalo). I never thought I would go through culture shock but I did. Overall, I don't regret my move because my kids love it here. I miss deeply everyday the diversity NYC had. I could go anywhere there as a black person without being stared at. One thing I noticed quickly on this side is people are quick to sneer at someone in public. That's a big no no downstate. I was at Pizza Hut on Sheridan and this girl behind counter had no problem making a loud remark about what another customer behind me was wearing... Even in some places I see the same thing. But for the most part some folks are cool and some are not.
This is why I say that the areas that are viewed as generally being very nice to the masses, aren’t necessarily going to be viewed as nice/right for everyone and vice versa. What you have stated is a good example of this, as while there is a visible amount of diversity in pockets of the Williamsville area, said areas are generally more Asian with a few/some black and Hispanic residents.

To the OP, if it is a similar situation for you, look into say parts of the city or say parts of the Sweet Home and Amherst Central SD’s in the town of Amherst. I dare say even parts of the Cleveland Hill, Cheektowaga Central and Maryvale SD’s in the town of Cheektowaga.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-05-2019 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is why I say that the areas that are viewed as generally being very nice to the masses, aren’t necessarily going to be viewed as nice/right for everyone and vice versa. What you have stated is a good example of this, as while there is a visible amount of diversity in pockets of the Williamsville area, said areas are generally more Asian with a few/some black and Hispanic residents.

To the OP, if it is a similar situation for you, look into say parts of the city or say parts of the Sweet Home and Amherst Central SD’s in the town of Amherst. I dare say even parts of the Cleveland Hill, Cheektowaga Central and Maryvale SD’s in the town of Cheektowaga.

Good points.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,898,248 times
Yea sure move right in you'll fit in great.....

God I can't wait to leave this state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area