Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2024, 10:49 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,106,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, these are likely people that can do it and some may have been doing it for a while. So, I think the corporations and families know what they can or can not do in terms of the PSLs.

According to 2022 5 year US Census information, in Erie County; 8% of 406,547 households(32,524) and 15.7% of 164,281 married couple families(25,792) make over $200,000. Now, add in the other counties/areas nearby and it is possible to have many/most of the PSLs filled. It will be a long term commitment, but again, some will do it.
Your relying on facts like these are meaningless. What are the incomes of the season ticket holders, would be a better reference. And gross incomes themselves are meaningless as well. You and I have no clue, nor should we, what they do with their NET income.

The FACT remains, that there will be a couple hundred million dollars of disposable income will be removed from Buffalo's economy, postponing new cars, home improvements, business investments, other entertainment, like going to diner, etc. FACT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:58 AM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Your relying on facts like these are meaningless. What are the incomes of the season ticket holders, would be a better reference. And gross incomes themselves are meaningless as well. You and I have no clue, nor should we, what they do with their NET income.

The FACT remains, that there will be a couple hundred million dollars of disposable income will be removed from Buffalo's economy, postponing new cars, home improvements, business investments, other entertainment, like going to diner, etc. FACT
How is that a "fact" if you and I have no clue? Make it make sense.

However, my point about using stats(how dare I) is to show who is more likely to buy in. That doesn't mean that others with lower incomes won't or that those with/above $200k will buy, but I'm using that information to illustrate who is likely to have the disposable income to purchase the PSLs. That was just for Erie County and knowing what we know, not all season ticket holders live in the Buffalo metro area.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
How is that a "fact" if you and I have no clue? Make it make sense.

However, my point about using stats(how dare I) is to show who is more likely to buy in. That doesn't mean that others with lower incomes won't or that those with/above $200k will buy, but I'm using that information to illustrate who is likely to have the disposable income to purchase the PSLs. That was just for Erie County and knowing what we know, not all season ticket holders live in the Buffalo metro area.
Why can't you understand that all of the PSL money will NOT be spent in the local economy?

I never said stats were bad, but they are irrelevant if they aren't directly tied the subject at hand. Again, the incomes of the actual people who go to the games is all that is important. Shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. I'm sure the team has more accurate data.

People with higher incomes tend to be older and don't want to go to games (yes, I know there are exceptions). FYI, there are country clubs, yacht clubs, theaters, fine dining and other stuff to do instead. The people I know that are season ticket holders are about 30-35YO.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Why can't you understand that all of the PSL money will NOT be spent in the local economy?

I never said stats were bad, but they are irrelevant if they aren't directly tied the subject at hand. Again, the incomes of the actual people who go to the games is all that is important. Shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. I'm sure the team has more accurate data.

People with higher incomes tend to be older and don't want to go to games (yes, I know there are exceptions). FYI, there are country clubs, yacht clubs, theaters, fine dining and other stuff to do instead. The people I know that are season ticket holders are about 30-35YO.
All the PSL is for is to get access to season tickets. it is simply to make a profit for the organization. Point black, period.

Erie County is directly tied to the subject. Starting with the immediate area would make sense.

A lot of people with higher household incomes usually include dual or more income homes as well. Many older folks have season tickets for decades and pass them on to family members.

Here is an interesting thread I came across on another forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobill..._their_season/

Old 04-25-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
All the PSL is for is to get access to season tickets. it is simply to make a profit for the organization. Point black, period.

Erie County is directly tied to the subject. Starting with the immediate area would make sense.

A lot of people with higher household incomes usually include dual or more income homes as well. Many older folks have season tickets for decades and pass them on to family members.

Here is an interesting thread I came across on another forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobill..._their_season/
Funny, only the third or fourth comment down one person said he would buy a new TV instead of a PSL. That is EXACTLY what I've been saying. So thanks for posting it.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:37 PM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
I have been reading on other forums that long time Bills ticket holders are being priced out and have to give up their season tickets after many many, years. What about seniors that can't afford to pay the PSL? Are they out of luck? As I said in an earlier post, the choice was not to build a new stadium and the team moves, or build a stadium, which benefits no one, and see many priced out of the market. Buffalo is not exactly a thriving economic area. The real problem is that the area cannot afford a team and the state bailed them out. The fans are upset and the stadium is way over budget. There are consequences to many wealthy individuals leaving and being replaced by poor immigrants. The county has lost 65k residents since its peak where other areas have gained many, many people. For example our County, St Johns has gained 290k in the same period. The poorer local folks will be replaced by wealthy folks from outside the area and corporations. Its sad but true.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Funny, only the third or fourth comment down one person said he would buy a new TV instead of a PSL. That is EXACTLY what I've been saying. So thanks for posting it.
That's it. One person is referring to buying at TV means that no one is going to buy. Like I said, those that can swing it will do so.

Also with the other post, Erie County according to the last official census actually grew 3.8%. So, that trend is reversing itself, at least according to the official census figure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_C...k#Demographics

As mentioned, the PSL factor has come into play in every market where it has been put in place. so, like anything else, it is going to have its pros(for the franchise) and cons(for a portion of the fans/ticket holders).

Old 04-26-2024, 04:41 AM

Quote:
That's it. One person is referring to buying at TV means that no one is going to buy. Like I said, those that can swing it will do so.

Also with the other post, Erie County according to the last official census actually grew 3.8%. So, that trend is reversing itself, at least according to the official census figure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_C...k#Demographics

As mentioned, the PSL factor has come into play in every market where it has been put in place. so, like anything else, it is going to have its pros(for the franchise) and cons(for a portion of the fans/ticket holders).
95% of Buffalo's population gain has been attributed to the 18,000 refugees coming from 3rd world countries, that have been actively imported. These people hardly meet the demographics you stated of 6 figure incomes, and most likely don't even know anything about football.

Additionally, the current estimate shows a loss of population since 2020.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:03 AM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
Quote:
95% of Buffalo's population gain has been attributed to the 18,000 refugees coming from 3rd world countries, that have been actively imported. These people hardly meet the demographics you stated of 6 figure incomes, and most likely don't even know anything about football.

Plus those 18,000 refugees, overwhelmingly prefer soccer.

PSL's are a lot different in economically well off areas, which WNY certainly is not. I can attest to that with first hand experience, being in business in WNY, since the 1950's. The population and economic vitality losses are real. Those refugees move into dead parts of the city and open small businesses for their fellow refugees, but that does little or nothing for the local economy.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Again, not all of the population increase for Erie County is from refugee resettlement. Many millennials have moved to the city/county as well due to the relative affordability.

Also, as you've even stated in other threads about Rochester, estimates have been known to be off in relation to the official census, as that has occurred in the recent past for other parts of the state.

To the other post and as mentioned, there are many households that make well over $200k in the immediate area and in close enough proximity to the stadium. It would be different if the stadium wasn't in driving distance to so many people, but it is and to just use the Buffalo area is shortsighted. Even the NFL, as I posted earlier counts the "local area" as 75 miles from stadium during the time it considered blackouts. So, even if you used that criteria, you are including Monroe County, Ontario County and many other counties, let alone the other side of the border or Onondaga County where Syracuse is located a little bit further out. So, that has to be considered in this as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-26-2024 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area