Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Look, no one thinks any less of Syracuse just because it has more in common with Buffalo and Rochester than it does with the East coast cities.

Sorry, but I agree with this map:
The map is only referring to dialect, nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

628 posts, read 663,601 times
Quote:
Look, no one thinks any less of Syracuse just because it has more in common with Buffalo and Rochester than it does with the East coast cities.

Sorry, but I agree with this map:
I never indicated that syracuse would somehow become "less" if some people thought it had more in common with buff and roch than the east coast. It is inaccurate to think so. As someone who lived in nj and li and now lives in syracuse, I see more similiarities (particularily with nj) then I do with buffalo or rochester. I am by no means putting down those cities, nor the midwest, especially when you consider that if someone from indiana visited buffalo they would not consider it midwestern. There are just as many differences as similiarities. Essentially, my point is that buffalo is east coast, and is simply a lighter shade of the same color of a nyc or a philly. syracuse, by virtue of being in between these places, has traits that are similiar to both; for me, the east coast traits outweigh the buffalo ones.

As for the map, well it is flawed for several reasons. Most notably it fails to take into account any concept of degrees. If syracuse is part of the inland north region as the map indicates, then it is on the far east side of that region. By failing to take into account degrees, the map would have us believe that syracuse has the same dialect as michigan, which is in the center of the boundary. this is not true as science (not to mention lingustics) shows us that the further you get away from the center the more the differences from the center become apparanet. Another example, the boundary of "the south" would have us believe that everyone from nova to east texas has the same dialect. while "the south" allows for easy categorization, and is perhaps the best fit of any of the dialects, it is inaccurate in that it does not take into account the degrees of difference between southern dialects, as people from va and tex do not sound alike.

Further, the map actually helps my point. If you reread my post you will see that I included inland north as one of several degrees of dialect which people in syracuse speak with. I believe my exact words were "it has inland, for sure" or something to that effect. However, I believe in degrees and not in set-in-stone foundations. Basically, the map provides a good overview, and is accurate in that syracuse may be inland north, if only by default, as it does not have the hallmarks of classic "new york accent"; but to discount all other dialects and say that syracuse is only inland north, is unacceptable to basic reason. As I said before it is part inland north, but just as much part downstate ny, nj, new england, and canadian. It is a mutt accent. michigan for example, is not, as it is mostly inland north and canadian, without any trace of a traditional "east coast" accent.

This is what concerns me about boards like these and is something I warned of before - namley the broad generalizations that are made. its these very same broad generalizations that people need to stay away from as it invites inaccuracies. You see, subjects like "accent", "midwest", etc... are all matters of degrees; they are fluid identities not static ones, particularily when you speak of cities on the periphery of a boundary such as buffalo.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
One interesting thing I've noticed about Buffalo and Rochester is that more homes tend to have concrete driveways in the suburbs which is very common in the midwest, PA, and other parts of the country but quite rare downstate, in Syracuse and New England. I've always wondered why this wasn't more prevalent in the central and eastern part of upstate New York.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
One interesting thing I've noticed about Buffalo and Rochester is that more homes tend to have concrete driveways in the suburbs which is very common in the midwest, PA, and other parts of the country but quite rare downstate, in Syracuse and New England. I've always wondered why this wasn't more prevalent in the central and eastern part of upstate New York.
I've seen the driveways in Buffalo but not in Rochester at all, minus a handful of people. Where in the Roch metro are all of these concrete driveways? They seem like they'd be easier to maintain.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've seen the driveways in Buffalo but not in Rochester at all, minus a handful of people. Where in the Roch metro are all of these concrete driveways? They seem like they'd be easier to maintain.
I mistakingly confused concrete sidewalks that partially run over some of the driveways in the suburban Rochester developments to be concrete driveways.. Most of the subdivisions in suburban Syracuse lack sidewalks. This may be a result of a lack of vision on the part of the county planning office and local planning boards. I did recall seeing concrete driveways in a few neighborhoods off Route 322 in Farmington (mostly raised ranches, splits and colonials of the Ryan Homes variety).

From a maintenance standpoint, I think concrete driveways are the way to go and look better in my opinion. I assume they would be expensive, though.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,641 times
The big thing downstate (at least Nassau County) is to use building pavers.

I haven't noticed the concrete thing. I'll look to see when I'm driving home tonight. When I lived upstate I noticed it was more common in Upper Middle class areas.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post

As I said before it is part inland north, but just as much part downstate ny, nj, new england, and canadian. It is a mutt accent. michigan for example, is not, as it is mostly inland north and canadian, without any trace of a traditional "east coast" accent.
I have a perfect example of a Mutt accent. I still have the hard A's and slight nasal tone from growing up in Buffalo, but I've noticed that I'm starting to say Mary, Merry and Marry differently like a Long Islander! Also, adding and dropping those "er's" a bit more. Also, I think soda now instead of pop.

What has happened to me! 26 years in Western New York (Suburban Buffalo and Rochester), 12 years in Long Island makes for a strange accent!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 PM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
The big thing downstate (at least Nassau County) is to use building pavers.

Or plain old dirt and gravel like the house next door in the photo

Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Concrete driveways?!?!

That is a southern thing based mostly on climate (could you imagine a black-top driveway in the south during the summer!?! YIKES...your car's tires would catch on fire if you left them on there too long lol)...I've never seen anything but black-top driveways (with the exception of wealthier areas where you may see brick) in Rochester or anywhere else north of the Mason-Dixon line. Where have you supposedly seen all of these concrete driveways in the suburbs of Buffalo and Rochester?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
I've seen some in the more suburban Buffalo areas that were built up in the 50s and 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area