Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Yikes. As a mom with three kids who will go to college within the next 8 to 18 years this is disheartening news. My husband and I are frugal, stay out of debt and save as much $ as we can, but there is no way we will be able to save over $300,000 for our kids' bachelor degrees on our Vermont salaries.

My oldest daughter wants to be a doctor and has already expressed interest in attending college in N.C. where her grandmother lives. The state schools there are excellent and cheaper than UVM. I really don't see any advantage of sending her to UVM when she could get an equal or better education for less money somewhere else.
Stash away whatever you can in a 529. I don't know what the tax laws are in VT concerning this, but in NY it is deducted. Every spare buck I can muster goes into the 529 accounts. If you haven't done so already, join Upromise. You get a few pennies here, a dollar there for purchases. For us it has amounted to just shy of $500. You would be surprised at how the pennies add up over time.

It's not too late to save whatever you can -- some 529 plans require only a minimal amount per month.

Also bear in mind that your future college students will be filling out FAFSAs in order to determine how much aid they will be eligible for. Then there are scholarships, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 18,736 times
Default Uvm

I have to disagree with those saying UVM offers a sub-par education. My daughter is a junior there, majoring in education, minoring in special education with a concentration in math. She and I put a LOT of time and effort into choosing a college. We toured and attended over a dozen (education department) presentations by other universities. Some significantly more prestigious than UVM. No other school presented itself with the professionalism of this school. No other school was offering what my daughter could get at UVM in terms of experience and preparation.

Is it expensive? YUP. Is it perfect? Nope. However, my daughter has two friends at very hoity-toity schools, same majors, who are not receiving a fraction of the experience my daughter is at UVM. They are paying $50,000+. I have searched for colleges for two kids now, with a third on the way. UVM has been a great choice for my daughter. She knew exactly what she wanted to do when entering college. My son, on the other hand had no idea of the direction he wanted to go in so he is at a lower-cost state school, which is perfect for HIM. No school suits all situations for all kids, but this school has exceeded our expectations and is providing exactly what my daughter wanted and needed.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
College is just EXPENSIVE period. Considering people are graduating with 'no hope in hell' of working in some careers right now, you have to wonder if sending your kid to trade school is a better option.

(This is coming from a person with a MS and BA).

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
College is just EXPENSIVE period. Considering people are graduating with 'no hope in hell' of working in some careers right now, you have to wonder if sending your kid to trade school is a better option.

Yup. Colleges have let themselves get expensive and worse irrelevant. I believe the value of a college degree will go down quite a bit in the future. Despite the 'more important now than ever' talk. (from someone with a fancy pants degree- though I got it cheap)

Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Amen to that.

My college-bound senior helps teaching karate at the Dojo where he trains as well as working as a carpenters apprentice in his time off from school. If his BS and grad school don't lead to a career, he'll be able to swing a hammer and/or teach karate to help put food on the table.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM

103 posts, read 301,444 times
That's terrible. With need-based financial aid, even my fancy liberal arts college is cheaper than that. It's even less than UMass Amherst, actually, including room & board. Crazy, huh? I think I'll have around $27000 in loans when I graduate. Not terrible, but certainly not ideal. Great education though, for what it's worth (we'll see when I try to enter the job market after graduation!).

State schools down south are a great option that I didn't consider when I was looking at colleges. One of my relatives teaches at UNC Chapel Hill and loves it. Georgia state schools, from what I understand, are free or very inexpensive if you maintain at least a 3.0 (which is quite doable) for in-state residents and way under $10000 for out-of-state residents. Same goes for Mississippi. If I could do it over, I would have headed south, however less "prestigious". I really don't know how the average Vermonter can afford UVM.

Tertiary education in the United States is ridiculously expensive in most places. I'm seriously considering going abroad for graduate school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: