Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,490 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, it does take two incomes to support a family without any hardship. Most of the time it is easier for men to obtain a job than a woman. One circumstance that I have seen lately that affect men and women is age. Most people are older when they loose their job and the employer is looking for younger people that they can pay a smaller salary as opposed to someone with more experience, with that being the case it really hurts womwen more than men, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,328 times
I have to say that I agree one of hindsight2020's point. He said, "a woman can leverage her sexuality in order to subsidize her cost of living ". However, that is not all the cases. Some women did that because the society gives them an imagine that they can do that and gain some benefit from that. But most women, I think, don't want to do that. They want to be independent from men, such as earning education and a fine job. Moreover, they would like to be the breadwinner and support their family. That's why I think sometimes unemployment did impact women more than men. They really need a fine job to support their families, especially for single-mom, because they are the only one who should provide the income.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels1 View Post
I agree with you, it does take two incomes to support a family without any hardship. Most of the time it is easier for men to obtain a job than a woman. One circumstance that I have seen lately that affect men and women is age. Most people are older when they loose their job and the employer is looking for younger people that they can pay a smaller salary as opposed to someone with more experience, with that being the case it really hurts womwen more than men, I think.
Totally agree with you. Age is one of the most important reasons that women can not find a job. In my country Taiwan, in generally,women who are over 40, have difficulty to find good jobs. I think it is because of the gender role and social paradigm, the economic recession as well. Age is a crucial reason that women are unemployment.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVP View Post
My neighbor became ill and could not work in the capacity that he originally worked in, his wife became the bread winner, and because of that, he became the stay at home father. Ironically he contracted out things like yard work and stuff that he did before he left his full time job. He has stated that he has less time now to get things done then when he worked. For most women work does not end at five or six when they leave the office. It is well known and statistics and studies support this that women come home to a host of responsibilities despite the fact that they are income producing. I experience this myself. Woman today only make 82cents on the dollar of what men make often not allowing her to be the bread winner. Because some women like myself feel they have to make up for it, they do the house work and take care of the children especially when it comes to things like getting them ready for bed and making meals. I would like all men to be a house-wife with a three year old and a new born for just one week. I think some men could handle it, however they would certainly have a new respect for house-wives. In reference to the topic I think their are more job cuts for woman because their is still a major sitgma that women can not do as much. Why would you fire a man when he allegedly could do more work, which is not often the case, than a woman.
How days that women do all the household wrok is less common i marriages. Its changed alot since family often have two bread winners.I know that is how myself and wife as well as friends have lived for years.I have actaully done it all since my wife worked for two eyars after I retired.My wife said she actually missed doing some of it and since retirng loves it. Different strokes for diferent folks;I guess.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,703 times
I disagree with that. I know of a lot of two income families with kids and the wives still do the majority of the housework especially if the wife makes less money. This could just be my experience too. It is sad about what timdel said in reference to the fact that two income families are penalized more than one income family when the pay equals the same. I have said this before I think all men should just spend one week of being a stay at home dad, and handle everything. I think this could also generate valuable bonding time too.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
In my opinion, being able to apply for unemployment compensation, simply for being unemployed could ameliorate the phenomena described in many or most situations. It may not be a capital based ideal where both parents are S&P CEOs with nearly exponentially increasing pay ratios; but it could work for the majority of individual labor market participants. It could secure plenty of bonding time for either or both parents if they choose to not provide labor input to the economy, but choose to work on their money management skills during that time. It could also enable one or both parents to go to school and earn one or more degrees, that could even include the discipline of gender roles and child development and psychology. Such a paradigm could engender more individual liberty and responsibility.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,703 times
I disagree with the dicipline of gender roles, however I do agree that if one parent is working then the other whom is unemployed could go to school and pursue educational ventures. Our current economy has made a lot people re-evaluate their finacial resources, or should I say lack there of. I also agree with you that the parent whom often is left at home taking care of the children should look into ways to save money and ways to cut the household budget, however if the person whom is working is not on board it is done in vein.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
What are some of the causes for the other person not being on board? It could simply relate to people skills and stress factors during difficult times. I believe that simplifying and improving our social safety net could ameliorate the causes for those factors and potentially engender an improvement to gender relations, which could have the effect of improved conditions for some marriages or more bonded pairings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business