Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Well you can plan on whatever you want, but in most cases you're going to have to supply your SSN or your SSN and EIN. A sole proprietorship isn't a business entity, there is nothing above and beyond the person operating it.

Honestly, you shouldn't even operate as a sole proprietorship in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
A client is going to need either the SSN or an EIN if they issue a 1099. EIN's are free from the IRS so it is better for overall security reasons to get one. (there is a web site called IRS.org that charges for an EIN- if you go to IRS.gov it is free)

One thing I suggest everyone consider is putting a credit freeze on all three credit reports. They work and they are easy to lift (online using the supplied pin number). I was even blocked from a new phone line due to the freeze.

It only costs 7 bucks per credit reporting company (one time fee) and can be lifted instantaneously any time it is needed.

It is the same thing "lifelock" does for you at 10 bucks a month..... but doesn't have the "insurance" component.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
A client is going to need either the SSN or an EIN if they issue a 1099. EIN's are free from the IRS so it is better for overall security reasons to get one. (there is a web site called IRS.org that charges for an EIN- if you go to IRS.gov it is free)

One thing I suggest everyone consider is putting a credit freeze on all three credit reports. They work and they are easy to lift (online using the supplied pin number). I was even blocked from a new phone line due to the freeze.

It only costs 7 bucks per credit reporting company (one time fee) and can be lifted instantaneously any time it is needed.

It is the same thing "lifelock" does for you at 10 bucks a month..... but doesn't have the "insurance" component.
What is the purpose of the credit freeze?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
What is the purpose of the credit freeze?
It prevents anyone from opening a credit account using your identification.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
I plan on using an EIN instead of my SSN. Clients sometimes need them.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Sole-Proprietors,-Protect-Yourself-from-Identity-Theft-by-Obtaining-an-EIN&id=41480 (broken link)
An ezine article isn't exactly a reliable source or good business research.

As for a credit freeze, it will stop anything from being opened under your name. It's safer but a bit of an inconveneince though it's really not that hard to lift it just anytime you need to do anything even as simple as getting a new cell phone you'll need to lift it.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I plan on using an EIN instead of my SSN. Clients sometimes need them.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Sole-Proprietors,-Protect-Yourself-from-Identity-Theft-by-Obtaining-an-EIN&id=41480 (broken link)
I've been self employed as a sole proprietor for 10+ years, I have over 2,000 vendors that supply me with proucts and my sales exceed $5M a year. I've been asked for a tax ID and my SSN has always worked just fine and never had a problem with it.

I'd stay with a SSN until it just doesnt make sense to. You start getting EIN's and then you got all sorts of extra filings needed.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
An ezine article isn't exactly a reliable source or good business research.
No worries. That link was in response to that poster's comments.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM

50 posts, read 128,907 times
When I used to umpire college baseball and independent pro ball they would use my SSN for the season's 1099. That was a fairly good paying side job. 12k+ a year, to quote Ron Luciano, "the best seat in the house but you gotta stand."

Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I recommend a solid year of networking prior to starting your biz. I also recommend no borrowing money. Finally I recommend getting a good accountant from the onset to see what's allowed and what's not on the home office deductions.

My biz? After I sold my marketing firm, I know consult for agencies around the country on client strategy.

Is it profitable? My only expense is my mobile phone and my laptop. So, yes, very.

How much money does it pay? Depends on the year. Last year? Mid 100s.

I do this roughly 7 hours a day. Because it's cyclical, workload depends on time of year.

I don't find clients. Clients find me. I have a good reputation.

Biggest challenge? Making sure that deadwood clients don't suck up all my time.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I recommend a solid year of networking prior to starting your biz.
I definitely plan on spending a lot of time marketing my business, networking and improving my writing skills and savvy before asking for paid work.

Kudos on your success! Sounds very exciting. Do you also blog or so any social media?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business