Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times

Advertisements

Lots of interesting info here about the differences in how Texas is run versus CA.. It is definitely pro republican the way it's written but has some good info that explains why there are such differences .
Texas vs. California | Texas Public Policy Foundation

The legislature mostly having business experience rather than being mostly full time career politicians is a big one I think.

New bills often mean more expenses and more regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,890,504 times
Here is the comment I made on this topic in the LA thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So let's make a low estimate and say that the average salary of each employee in the HQ was $50,000. Toyota North America employs 5,300 Californians at its headquarters campus in Torrance. Doing the math, that is the equivalent of $265,000,000 generated income by Southern Californian residents that will disappear. That means those hundreds of millions of dollars will no longer be spent in SoCal boosting the local economy. That means those thousands of people will be either relocating to Texas or displaced and take other jobs, thereby further straining the job market and raising unemployment rates.

SoCal is in a tough position. Its desirability is ironically its biggest enemy, as businesses have the life sucked from them by the high cost of doing business in SoCal, thereby reducing profits.
This is an enormous loss to the SoCal region. Seems like for every company that moves in, another major anchor moves out. It's like using a bucket to scoop out water from a leaking boat at this rate. Seattle, too, is in a similar situation. Amazon is a goldrush for Seattle at the moment, but Boeing is slowly but surely leaving, taking with it thousands of good-paying jobs. The West Coast is popular for living in, but unpopular for companies, it seems.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,551,756 times
Sen. Ted Lieu, of Torrance, is one of the legislatures most left-leaning, anti-business Democrats too. He's always trying to out-left the leftiest Democrats from the SF Bay Area. Ironic, ain't it? Maybe this will be a wake-up call...Kinda hard to ignore when it's your very own district.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times
I'm basically a Moonbeamer, but I tend to agree with my more conservative friends in that California needs to find ways to bring more of its manufacturing base back. It's either six-figure IT brainiacs or hard laborers. The middle class in this state is just hangin by a thread. Eaten up by costs of living.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,551,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
SoCal is in a tough position. Its desirability is ironically its biggest enemy, as businesses have the life sucked from them by the high cost of doing business in SoCal, thereby reducing profits.
The high-cost of doing business in So Cal can be blamed in large part on the San Francisco Bay Area and the loony, anti-business, anti-Los Angeles, far-left Democrats they send to Sacramento to punish us down here.

It's time to separate and let them have the northern half of the state and let them run it into the ground. We would seriously be better off and prosper more without them.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 AM

55 posts, read 124,373 times
Its an interesting thread so far...
In my opinion:
California has too high of a Income tax
High corporate tax
Too many welfare type things
A lot of corruption
Overall too much waste...

Plus Socal isn't really isn't that close to anything.. I mean most of the manufacturing is done in states such as Ohio, Tennessee, and Alabama (probably due to low labor cost or lack of unions).

But yeah, I just came from Dallas around 10 months ago. That city is growing and businesses are doing well.
There's no income tax there as well. I hope to God that Hyundai doesn't move in a decade or so since I don't plan on working at a different company anytime soon..

In general, I'm still curious why there are still a lot of aerospace companies out here. I would all of them would leave as well (not that I would personally/preference ever want to work in that field for numerous reasons).

I basically moved to Cali for the weather and other reasons but I can definitely understand why a lot of corporations are fleeing...

Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,079,439 times
I wonder what this will do to the Japanese community in LA. There is a full-time school in Lomita called the Nishiyamato Academy which caters to the Japanese, and there are also the part time schools like Asahi Gakuen. Will the move force Nishiyamato to shut down? Will it cause Asahi Gakuen to close its Torrance operations? Will it affect the Japanese school in Gardena?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,253,654 times
Well at least the employees that do transfer can actually purchase a home. Plano and north Dallas have all the good stuff like good schools, nice neighborhoods and tons of amenities like excellent shopping, dining and entertainment. Congratulations to Dallas again.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 AM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I wonder what this will do to the Japanese community in LA. There is a full-time school in Lomita called the Nishiyamato Academy which caters to the Japanese, and there are also the part time schools like Asahi Gakuen. Will the move force Nishiyamato to shut down? Will it cause Asahi Gakuen to close its Torrance operations? Will it affect the Japanese school in Gardena?
Yea, probably.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,079,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, probably.
Would it be okay if I make a separate thread on this? It could focus more on the effect on the Los Angeles Japanese community. I just opened a separate thread in the Dallas board about how the Toyota move might increase the DFW Japanese community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business