Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I partially agree. But I disagree with more.

In truth, the better you get at running a business, the more money you make for every hour you work. And the fewer hours you need to work to make the money you need.

What's more, long-term, working for yourself is the most stable path. I realize that may sound counterintuitive, but it's really the case. For by the time you hit fifty, you've got a target on your back if you work for a company. If you work for yourself, the only person who can fire you is you.
Good points. As I mentioned in the post I just made, the important thing is to work ON the business rather than IN it.

If you are working as the cashier in your business for example, then you don't have the time to do marketing and to grow the business,etc.

It's almost like creating a job for yourself, a job with more headaches and responsibility and risk versus having a job.

If a business grows big enough then managers can be hired to run it.

If you look at Warren Buffett for example, his Berkshire Hathaway owns many companies outright..not just stocks in companies. In those companies like Geico and See's candies (just two of the hundreds of companies Berkshire owns). Of course this is on a big scale..but there are owners of smaller businesses that do a similar thing. I'm using Buffett as an example because everyone knows him.

This is a really interesting article about Buffett's 'management style'
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/we...fett.html?_r=0

"Mr. Buffett may be considered one of the world’s best managers, but he doesn’t actively manage the hundreds of businesses that Berkshire owns."

"Unlike Jeffrey R. Immelt, the chief executive of General Electric, who spends much of his time on airplanes traveling the world to visit the company’s 287,000 employees and oversees a giant campus and management team in Fairfield, Conn., Mr. Buffett “manages” Berkshire’s 257,000 employees with just 21 people at his headquarters in a small office in Omaha.

Mr. Buffett’s business partner, Charles Munger, once described Mr. Buffett’s day. He spends half of his time just sitting around and reading, Mr. Munger said. “And a big chunk of the rest of the time is spent talking one on one, either on the telephone or personally, with highly gifted people whom he trusts and who trust him.”

In other words..he's not rushing over to See's candy to ring up those boxes of chocolate.

I think this should be the goal/mentality of any business owner. You hear about people that own several hundred locations. How many more hours are they working? There are only so many hours one can work.

Of course hardly anyone will get to Buffett's level of success, but I think there is really an important lesson to learn about the benefits and necessity of delegation to get a business to that next level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
My husband and I have started several businesses. Lawncare, home cleanings and we have rental properties. As far as lawncare and cleaning business, they are simple to start which is why we choose them. You don't need to much equipment to start either and we keep costs down low. We do great some months and less others but we love being self employed. We would like to open another type of business and own a store but financially not something we can do right now. I think many people would want to start a business if they could, some who would jump into it to fast I'm sure but I bet most people have considered it at some point. It's just not always easy to do depending on the business.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
My husband and I have started several businesses. Lawncare, home cleanings and we have rental properties. As far as lawncare and cleaning business, they are simple to start which is why we choose them. You don't need to much equipment to start either and we keep costs down low. We do great some months and less others but we love being self employed. We would like to open another type of business and own a store but financially not something we can do right now. I think many people would want to start a business if they could, some who would jump into it to fast I'm sure but I bet most people have considered it at some point. It's just not always easy to do depending on the business.
Interesting. Are you doing the work yourselves or do you hire people to do the work?
I think the most important thing in business is marketing, without marketing and letting people know who you are it's hard to grow. Word of mouth helps, but that's a form of marketing from providing great customer service.
Even the biggest companies spend a ton of money on advertising and marketing though, so it's crazy when small businesses don't think it is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business