Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times

Advertisements

It is soo easy to blame the corp. for all of your problems, but progress wouldn't happen in today's world without large corps. A small business isn't capable of designing and producing the commercial aircraft of the future. Small business isn't capable of designing and producing the vehicles of the future. Small business can't deliver packages across the globe. So large corps will all ways exist.

The reason that so many smaller businesses have failed is because of the American people, not the large corps. It was the people who decide to eat at the large corp. establishments instead of the small restaurants. The people stopped going to the local hardware stores.

And by the way, my wife has had many part time jobs and the large corps. pay WAY better than the small mom and pop businesses.

This is all a moot point anyway, as soon as advanced robotics becomes more affordable, most of these jobs will be completely automated. In New York you can order your groceries on your smart phone and have them delivered to your home. This will be the future as retail will transition to being ENTIRELY on line in the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
There is no longer any incentive for CEOs to build a strong, long lasting companies since using simple financial engineering, they can become Billionaires with little effort.

1) Focus on earnings per share even if revenue is declining and the the corporation is withering away.

2) issue corporate executives hundreds of millions in dollars of stock options.

3) Borrow money cheaply and user that money to buy back stock and keep selling the stock options.

4) The above process basically puts increasing debt on corporate books, while transferring money to CEOs personal wealth. P/E stays stable even while the corporation becomes overly leveraged and closer to collapse.

Corporations don't exist for employees or shareholders. They are a conduit for wealth for the CEO and other cronies. That is why the Tech and Housing Bubbles led to so many corporate collapses, and that is why we are on the precipice of such a collapse once again.

Employees are irrelevant as is the company. The only thing that matters nowadays to the CEO is how to get as much money, via stock options and salary, as fast as possible.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
There is no longer any incentive for CEOs to build a strong, long lasting companies since using simple financial engineering, they can become Billionaires with little effort.

1) Focus on earnings per share even if revenue is declining and the the corporation is withering away.

2) issue corporate executives hundreds of millions in dollars of stock options.

3) Borrow money cheaply and user that money to buy back stock and keep selling the stock options.

4) The above process basically puts increasing debt on corporate books, while transferring money to CEOs personal wealth. P/E stays stable even while the corporation becomes overly leveraged and closer to collapse.

Corporations don't exist for employees or shareholders. They are a conduit for wealth for the CEO and other cronies. That is why the Tech and Housing Bubbles leg to so many corporate collapses, and that is why we are on the precipice of such a collapse once again.

Employees are irrelevant as is the company.
Then the shareholders need to elect a new Board of Directors that will pick a better CEO!

Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Then the shareholders need to elect a new Board of Directors that will pick a better CEO!
That is impossible. The Board, which is paid off, controls everything, and the CEO controls the Board.

It's a cute game of How to Become a Billionaire Without Effort.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Corporations pay as little as possible. Their goal is to maximize shareholder value. Period.

With that in mind, my personal experience working in corporations has been mostly positive. Why?

The key is to have a skill set that they desperately need and are willing to pay whatever it takes to keep you satisfied.

If you have just basic skills and there are tons of people who can do your job just as easily as you, be prepared to be exploited.
Exactly! But millions of people just don't get it, and most never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I've worked for corporations my entire working life and I have nothing but good experiences and good pay (outside of my very short retail stint)
Because the mass media (and their Madison Avenue allies) recognize that the vast majority of their sales come from people whose skills, or ambitions, or limitations, or just plain hang-ups leave them with more time in front of the boob-tube. Everyone else is trying to turn a buck a little faster.

So the guys and gals stick in retail spend their days dealing with steady stream of unrealistic expectations and unwarranted resentments.

Quote:
And I've worked for major blue collar corporations that everyone recognizes. Yes, you have to realize that they are seeking profits. No big deal. You are hired to do a job and if you aren't producing your worth they will show you the door. I have no problem with this.
And I wish more of the Absolutely Politically Correct Social Justice Warriors who seek to dominate our society could spend a little time in the contemporary blue-collar workplace. It's another example of why many of us recognized (as far back as the Sixties) that real progress on racial and other divisive issues would come about faster in the formerly-agrarian South than in the developed, but elitist, exclusionary, and two-faced "liberal" or "progressive" blue states.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
It is soo easy to blame the corp. for all of your problems, but progress wouldn't happen in today's world without large corps. A small business isn't capable of designing and producing the commercial aircraft of the future. Small business isn't capable of designing and producing the vehicles of the future. Small business can't deliver packages across the globe. So large corps will all ways exist.

The reason that so many smaller businesses have failed is because of the American people, not the large corps. It was the people who decide to eat at the large corp. establishments instead of the small restaurants. The people stopped going to the local hardware stores.

And by the way, my wife has had many part time jobs and the large corps. pay WAY better than the small mom and pop businesses.

This is all a moot point anyway, as soon as advanced robotics becomes more affordable, most of these jobs will be completely automated. In New York you can order your groceries on your smart phone and have them delivered to your home. This will be the future as retail will transition to being ENTIRELY on line in the next 20 years.
I guess some people are too illiterate to read everything these days. If you read my whole post, you could tell I didn't mention every corporation. Just the retail giants.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
That is impossible. The Board, which is paid off, controls everything, and the CEO controls the Board.

It's a cute game of How to Become a Billionaire Without Effort.

The BOD is elected by the shareholders. The CEO is hired by the BOD. The shareholders control everything.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The BOD is elected by the shareholders. The CEO is hired by the BOD. The shareholders control everything.
Only in textbooks.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have to laugh at that!
Having been a small business owner, and having worked for a small business, I know that it is a commonly accepted LIE!
When you open the door to your new business for the first time, you soon realize that EVERYBODY who walks through that door is now your BOSS! They and only they hold your success or failure in the palm of their hand. You absolutely MUST keep them happy in order to make enough money to survive, both personally and in business.
IMO, this is the "happiness quotient" in descending order of importance:
1. CUSTOMER happiness.
2. Employee (if any) happiness
3. Stockholder happiness (if you are the only stockholder, see 4.)
4. Owner happiness.

Oh, and by the way, the minute you open that business door for the first time, you have become one of the enemy. While it is true you may not have the official Articles Of Incorporation, you are now a business owner, and you will have employees, IF you survive and grow. You have become everything you profess to hate!
Good luck.
Exactly! My kid started he own business so I know. Her happiness level is high but it's not easy. I don't like it when people complain. Corporations owe you nothing.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Despite the public perception of Target being "better" than Walmart, they typically pay the same or less.
In our area, fast food workers are hard to find, and our local McD is paying $12/hour to start, $13 for janitors, that's more than either Walmart or Target.
The reason for that is the jobs suck. They put you on these "on-call" shifts where you don't always come to work but have to be available to get called in if sales volume increases. Or other times you're scheduled, but you get sent home. Anyone with any kind of family obligations, another job, etc.. cannot just free up hours where he or she *might* get to work. So the people that will accept that situation are are unreliable and quit at a moment's notice creating horrible turnover. Who can blame them?

We get high turnover for our part-time and low level positions where I work too. The people who manage them are always complaining how hard it is, how unreliable these people are, how much of a pain it is when they call in sick and never come back... I always want to yell at them... Why in the world would we expect workers who are treated as expendable to have ANY loyalty whatsoever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business