Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 06:30 PM

169 posts, read 186,882 times

Advertisements

Hey! I got a letter from City of LA re: Business Tax. It says I need to apply and then pay LA city taxes for doing business in here. Here's the situation:
I was earning as self-employed in 2015 (and paid taxes with an accountant as self-employed). I incorporated LLC in Jan 2016, but the letter is addressed specifically to LLC only. The application provided is also only for LLC (can't do both in one application).
  • Do I also need to do something re: my self-employed year? And if so, how come I didn't receive a letter for that?
  • How do I calculate how much in taxes I owe based on what I reported to IRS as self-employed in 2015 (if needed) and for my LLC, which is yet to be done for the year 2016? Do I pay LLC taxes to City of LA after I report them to IRS (before April 2017)?
  • I'm moving to a different state in less than 2 month, and will be re-incorporating there. Does that affect anything?
Thanks a lot!
Just FYI, neither my accountant nor tax consultant nor the company I was incorporating with mentioned anything about LA city tax. They made it seem like the IRS taxes and CA incorporation fees/taxes are the only thing to worry about, and they listed me everything I need to take care of. LA City taxes weren't on the list. Did they just miss it, or there may be a reason that wasn't mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business