Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:38 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

A bottle shop here in town closed abruptly this week. They were previously in a dated strip mall in the center of town, but moved to a nicer spot at the edge of town with a farm to table restaurant. The restaurant closed last week, and the bottle shop closed a few days later. They weren't owned by the same people.

How quickly have you seen a business fold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
I have seen more than one business roll out an expensive build, with frontage and signage and something close to full preparation, never to open their doors. Two or three restaurants and a specialty retailer of unknown focus come to mind.

Restaurants and bars are the businesses people put every last dime into without five cents of emergency or operating money, and lose it the first time a provider wants cash for a load of booze or meat. Watching them gasp for breath for a few weeks, then close, is heartbreaking. But people won't give up that idea of "owning their own business" when they really know nothing about it - or are a great fry cook but have never managed the books.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:31 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I knew a decades-old family-owned barbecue place move from its established downtown location out in the exurbs. They blew a lot of money on building the new place, only to watch it die on the vine inside of six months. I mean, this place had been an institution. Dumbest move ever.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Being in the restaurant service business, I have seen way too many places close within the first year. If some make it through the first 2/3 yrs on a shoestring or in the red it gets sold before they go under. First sign of trouble is management changes every 6 months, huge red flag. Most places have a hard time coming up with cash and need to use their credit cards or pass on service till next month. Last few years have been better then 5/8 yrs ago.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I knew a decades-old family-owned barbecue place move from its established downtown location out in the exurbs. They blew a lot of money on building the new place, only to watch it die on the vine inside of six months. I mean, this place had been an institution. Dumbest move ever.
I've told the story of the long-established sandwich place in my small town, one of the few places to get decent non-chain, non-grocery food, beloved by everyone... and six months after the assistant took it over, she'd run everyone and everything into the ground. Even having been all but a partner for three or four years wasn't enough education on customer service and product quality.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Two places I can think of local to me here..

The first was opened by the McCalls.. They are the family that started Ryan's.. The chain that started as a steakhouse, turned into a buffet place, was bought by the screwups who were running Old Country Buffet into the ground and they've run it into the ground. It's all but out of business now, save 20 or so locations scattered through the US.

But, they opened a restaurant.. Built from the ground up.. I can't even remember the name. Had something to do with the Charleston area.. I only remember it being open about 6 months, but other people have told me I was mistaken and it was actually open longer than that.

The other was a Golden Chick franchise. They tore down an old Taco Bell and built a new Golden Chick in the wrong area. It was about 2 miles from another they had opened, it was across the street from a college, but.. Just not a good location. It closed in under a year. 8 to 10 months, I'd say.

Golden Chick has done horribly here. And they have really good food (And astounding yeast rolls).. There have been at least 4 go under in this area (Upstate SC).. Greenwood, 2 in Greenville and one in Spartanburg.

I've been involved a bit with a chain out of Atlanta called Boneheads Grill.. They opened around 15 of them, there's 1 left down in Pensacola, FL.. Some of them only lasted a few months. One was in a mall down Atlanta way.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:16 PM

The world, particularly the strange faux-upscale world of crafted malls and "village centers," can only handle so many slightly-nice grills and chophouses and diners and funky food places. "But we all keep trying, like fools!" as David LoPan put it.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
6 months. A mortgage title company.
1 year for a catering company. Got rave reviews too! No one saw those doors shutting so soon.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Tim Horton franchise did not last 6 months here. Been years and their new building is still for lease/sale.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"How quickly have you seen a business fold?"
2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business