Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times

Advertisements

I use part of my home for business and use the simplified method. I have a small business loss for 2020 before I even get to the home office deduction. This hasn't happened in quite a while and I'm wondering what the current rules are. I'm not inclined to research this too deeply unless I can carry some of the deduction forward without wasting more time on doing so than its worth. My gross income from business use of my home was greater than my home business deduction.

Last edited by Deserterer; 03-29-2021 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 09:47 AM

6,031 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I use part of my home for business and use the simplified method. I have a small business loss for 2020 before I even get to the home office deduction. This hasn't happened in quite a while and I'm wondering what the current rules are. I'm not inclined to research this too deeply unless I can carry some of the deduction forward without wasting more time on doing so than its worth.
Even though you don't want to do it, you SHOULD read the rules pertaining to a business use of a portion of your personal residence. Several years back (10-15 years???), IRS tightened up the rules/requirements for business use of a portion of a primary residence due to the blatant abuse of the rules. It's now much tougher to qualify.

It would be even tougher, IMO, if you want to claim a loss while using this provision of the code. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to look it up and read the applicable sections. It may prove very beneficial to you going forward. It's always good to know the rules of the game you're playing.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Even though you don't want to do it, you SHOULD read the rules pertaining to a business use of a portion of your personal residence. Several years back (10-15 years???), IRS tightened up the rules/requirements for business use of a portion of a primary residence due to the blatant abuse of the rules. It's now much tougher to qualify.

It would be even tougher, IMO, if you want to claim a loss while using this provision of the code. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to look it up and read the applicable sections. It may prove very beneficial to you going forward. It's always good to know the rules of the game you're playing.

I have no desire to make my life or taxes tougher. Since I already have a loss I'd be perfectly content to not even claim the home business deduction for last year, even though I meet the requirements, if there's no real benefit or reason to do so.

And don't worry, I'd double check the rules about whatever anyone suggested here. Just looking for a quick insight or overview from those who already know them.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,710,172 times
The deduction still stands with or without a loss. They are separate issues.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
There is nothing hard or complicated about using the simplified method of deducting a home office. Simply enter that number on your schedule C just as you would any other expense, the loss for your business will get a bit bigger, and it will shield some portion of your other income from taxes.

If you are already using the home deduction, it isn’t going to increase your risk of audit, which is what most people fear.

Whether or not you qualify for a home office deduction is another matter entirely, and a topic that gets brought up by one poster or another every time home deductions are mentioned. I work on the assumption that if you are taking it, you qualify.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:54 AM

There's no doubt that I qualify for the home office deduction but that's not the issue.

As for it shielding me from other taxes I don't see how it can unless I did something wrong. Using the simplified method worksheet, -145.00 business income (loss) on line 29 and $875 for home office I come up with a big fat 0 for Line 30 on my Schedule C. Wouldn't surprise me if I made an error, but this is in line with my expectation that I can't use the home office deduction if I already have a loss.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Simply enter that number on your schedule C just as you would any othe .

If this is true, I sure wish someone would point out how because I'm just not seeing it.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I use part of my home for business and use the simplified method. I have a small business loss for 2020 before I even get to the home office deduction. This hasn't happened in quite a while and I'm wondering what the current rules are. I'm not inclined to research this too deeply unless I can carry some of the deduction forward without wasting more time on doing so than its worth. My gross income from business use of my home was greater than my home business deduction.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/deborah...h=f825f32307f1
carry over to next year is what you can do

Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/deborah...h=f825f32307f1
carry over to next year is what you can do

Too bad she doesn't tell you how, or give you any useful information about it. I think she assumes everyone uses TurboTax and that TurboTax will tell you how.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
As someone who has run his business out of his home for twenty years and has a CPA for a wife, I wouldn't do it. Too many complications, too many ways to get dinged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business