Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 03:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 726,424 times

Advertisements

My son and I have been thinking of adding another product line to our existing business. Someone recommended getting into kitchen rollout shelves. We've been seriously looking into it since if I'm not mistaken one would not really have to be a finish carpenter to install rollout shelves. According to this same individual a franchise called Shelf Genie gets $600 on average per opening for rollout shelves. If true It would seem like there's good money in it. Though I do not want to go down the franchise route. To the kitchen experts out there do you think it's viable business opportunity. If so where would one get more info such as videos on how to build and install kitchen roll outs and drawer dividers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
My son and I have been thinking of adding another product line to our existing business. Someone recommended getting into kitchen rollout shelves. We've been seriously looking into it since if I'm not mistaken one would not really have to be a finish carpenter to install rollout shelves. According to this same individual a franchise called Shelf Genie gets $600 on average per opening for rollout shelves. If true It would seem like there's good money in it. Though I do not want to go down the franchise route. To the kitchen experts out there do you think it's viable business opportunity. If so where would one get more info such as videos on how to build and install kitchen roll outs and drawer dividers.

From a lady's point of view (and I've owned 15 homes), we can buy some nice rollout shelves and racks from Bed Bath & Beyond. Lowe's & Home Depot also have some higher quality pullouts and racks. Not sure what you mean by "Shelf Genie gets $600 ... per opening" ?? Define per opening pls. Nevertheless, if I were doing a full kitchen remodel, I would be sure to buy the manufacturer's upgrade for storage pantry and the drawers that close automatically.

I would not buy them customized separately.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Yes, I think this is a product line people want, as kitchen updaters can paint older cabinetry (white, gray, blue, etc. - painted cabinets are on trend now) and then install the shelf inserts. However, these Shelf Genie inserts are readily available at Home Depot, Menards, online.... so there is no exclusivity with the product line and the installation seems rather basic for many weekend DIYer (just a screwdriver needed?).

So, you're market is a service market for those who don't have the time or basic skill to install these in their older cabinets (I think a majority of new cabinet buyers would have inserts installed by the manufacturer). Your market would also include those who want their cabinets refaced/repainted, and there are competitors with paint guns who do this - do they sell/install the shelf inserts as well? Do you want to go into the cabinet refacing market as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business