Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times

Advertisements

The California Supreme Court allowed police Monday to search arrestees' cell phones without a warrant, saying defendants lose their privacy rights for any items they're carrying when taken into custody

Read more: Court OKs searches of cell phones without warrant

Time to start carrying a landline phone with you. Cops will never find any naked pics of John or Jane Doe on one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
I have already installed a large spool of phone line in the trunk of my car

... will also help me find my way home again from the mall ...

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I have already installed a large spool of phone line in the trunk of my car

... will also help me find my way home again from the mall ...
DANG, Dude. Yours is push button. Mine still has a rotary dial!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
DANG, Dude. Yours is push button. Mine still has a rotary dial!
My other car is a rotary ...
economy model ...
but we just use it around town

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
The California Supreme Court allowed police Monday to search arrestees' cell phones without a warrant, saying defendants lose their privacy rights for any items they're carrying when taken into custody

Read more: Court OKs searches of cell phones without warrant

Time to start carrying a landline phone with you. Cops will never find any naked pics of John or Jane Doe on one of those.
If you don't get arrested what does it matter? I am sure they get a lot of good evidence regarding crimes from cell phones.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
If you don't get arrested what does it matter? I am sure they get a lot of good evidence regarding crimes from cell phones.
It's always a good idea to demand that the state demonstrate why it needs access to whatever it wants to access, not to put the onus on individuals to demonstrate why they want to preserve their privacy. The fact that I've never been arrested, don't imagine that I ever will be arrested, and have nothing to hide on my cell phone still doesn't make we want to run out and surrender right to keep private whatever mundane and non-incriminatory information I do keep on my phone.

That said, I have not yet read this decision and I do not have an opinion on it. I do know that the California Supreme Court is not the first court to reach this decision; the U.S. Fifth Circuit reached a similar conclusion several years ago. As the cases build up, the Supreme Court will probably address the issue directly and eliminate the circuit splits.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Easy, keep the keypad locked. If they want the code. Talk with my lawyer and get a warrant. How simple was that? Maybe the cop will get pissed and smack me around so
I can make a cool couple of million off the tax payers.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I haven't read about it yet, but in talking with colleagues, as far as I've heard, it's something law enforcement will be able to have access to if a person is arrested for buying/selling drugs. Something like this will likely be heard by the US Supreme Court because it raises a whole bunch of Constitutional issues. I'll have to check it out at my leisure.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
It's always a good idea to demand that the state demonstrate why it needs access to whatever it wants to access, not to put the onus on individuals to demonstrate why they want to preserve their privacy. The fact that I've never been arrested, don't imagine that I ever will be arrested, and have nothing to hide on my cell phone still doesn't make we want to run out and surrender right to keep private whatever mundane and non-incriminatory information I do keep on my phone.

That said, I have not yet read this decision and I do not have an opinion on it. I do know that the California Supreme Court is not the first court to reach this decision; the U.S. Fifth Circuit reached a similar conclusion several years ago. As the cases build up, the Supreme Court will probably address the issue directly and eliminate the circuit splits.
I agree. A phone today is not the same as it was ten years ago. Today's smartphone is nearly a laptop from a few years ago - which is hardly a personal effect, and protected from searches. A smartphone should have the same protection. Just because it is small enough to fit in a pocket doesn't mean it shouldn't require a warrant for a search of its contents.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
When I see statements like this I"m just shocked and horrified

The government is encroaching on our rights more and more in a million different ways, this just being one more installment, and people don't even notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California