Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times

Advertisements

I have frequently recommended that Las Vegans and tourists visit Death Valley. I have never recommended it in the summer time. From November to mid-May Death Valley is a beautiful and interesting place to visit. But in the summer it can kill you. And please do not venture off the pavement, even in the the fall or winter, unless you are an experienced outdoors person. Although I really feel sorry for the mother, the death of the little boy over there last week was a tragedy that did not have to happen. ADVENTURE GONE WRONG: Boy's death in Death Valley National Park leaves questions - News - ReviewJournal.com

When traveling off paved roads in the desert here is something everyone should know how to do:Solar still - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Buzz123; 08-08-2009 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Default Too optimistic!

I think this woman was one of these overly-optimistic types and I would never take a journey with these types of people. I've been over to Death Valley a number of times, even in summer, and it can be so, so tempting to try one of those unpaved roads or trails.

I was in the Mojave desert, climbing the Kelso Sand Dunes one summer, and my car broke down after returning to Las Vegas at that train depot station nearby. I didn't have a cellphone with and there was no water at the train depot. I wandered the road nearby and thankfully someone had thrown a Slurpee out a car window which was half-full, and I thanked God, for once, for litter. Finally, someone drove by, with a cellphone and I was able to get a tow truck to tow my car to, well? Big choice in a situation like: tow it to Barstow or Las Vegas as there was no mechanics in Baker. $550 in towing fees and I finally got back to Vegas. Henceforth, I'll only take a rental car into the wide open desert area!

But for those that have never taken that Badwater road in Death Valley in summer around sunset to see the sun set against the Funeral Mountains, it should be illegal for anyone to leave this planet without seeing it. One of the most awesome sights I've ever seen in the desert! I could hardly keep the car on the road seeing this incredible sight. It will take your breath away!
Almost worth risking your life to see it!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: change word

Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Death Valley is a very popular tourist destination among Eorpean tourists. So many of them expect to be able to head to Death Valley and take long hikes - even in the summer months.

If you travel into the deserts, either Mojave or Death Valley,you must realize that there are painfully FEW "lifelines" out there. You must have all of the supplies that you need until help can get to you - and that may be a day or two.

Remember that cell phones may not work in the desert. Five miles off of I-15 and you generally lose your cell coverage.

If you screw up your personal car (or a rental), it is an expensive proposition. I remember asking a ranger at Bodie, CA about the two options out of the park. The regular route was rough but suitable for cars. The other route - well, if you hit the wrong spot and lose your transmission, it is a $1500 tow.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I have frequently recommended that Las Vegans and tourists visit Death Valley. I have never recommended it in the summer time. From November to mid-May Death Valley is a beautiful and interesting place to visit. But in the summer it can kill you. And please do not venture off the pavement, even in the the fall or winter, unless you are an experienced outdoors person. Although I really feel sorry for the mother, the death of the little boy over there last week was a tragedy that did not have to happen. ADVENTURE GONE WRONG: Boy's death in Death Valley National Park leaves questions - News - ReviewJournal.com

When traveling off paved roads in the desert here is something everyone should know how to do:Solar still - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good advice, Buzz. There's a reason it's called...Death Valley!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Default More on Death Valley

From today's (8/9/09) Review Journal: Danger lurks for visitors in Death Valley National Park - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Default Cell phone in the Desert

Perhaps this woman was misinformed about usage of cell phones in Death Valley. She might have thought: If I get stuck, I'll just call a tow truck on my cell phone.

The last time I drove through Death Valley, neither my sister-in-law's phone worked or mine, even though we stuck to the paved roads.

More people who venture out to Death Valley anytime of the year should be warned of that. And, along with that, the potential for extremely expensive towing charges should something go wrong with your car.

Nowadays, when I decide to trek over to Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, traversing Death Valley en route, I will only take a rental car. But, still, having no cell phone usage, it can still be a risky proposition if you have car problems.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Thanks for the PSA.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM

I generally only post a couple of times on a subject but I was discussing this topic with my wife and we had several other points.

First, you MUST have accurate MAPS. If you are going to go "off road" (meaning off paved roads), you must have a map that is highly detailed. DeLorme has an excellent map book for California. It is a $20 purchase BUT the general purpose maps of Death valley and Mojave are *NOT* as detailed as you really need. I did *NOT* feel comfortable with ANY of the maps I was able to get through the AAA or the state of California. (We spent a week hiking Mojave and the China Ranch near Death Valley in January 2008.)

Second, you CANNOT rely on tour books and guide books as they are out of date the day they are published. Gas stations, restaurants, convenience stores are rare and may be closed when you need them. We make sure that we always have a FULL tank of gas prior to heading out for the day. Yes, on our last trip, we stopped at the station to fill up EVERY morning.

Third, I made a reference a couple of posts back about having water and food for a day or two to give rescuers a chance to get to you. We do a few other things. Before we lose cell coverage, we call one of our elderly relatives back home to let them know where we are heading and when to call for help. Then at the end of the day, we call them to let them know that we are back at the hotel. Why the older folks? They are less likely to get caught up and forget about us.

Fourth, even though you can easily drive 100 mph is the desert and never get caught, do realize that if you crash and survive, it will take a minimum of four hours to get you to a trauma center when you consider how long it will be to find you and to transport you.

Now that I am an old man, I look back at all the stupid things that we did over the years and managed to survive. Twice we got lost on dirt roads in Central Nevada.

Hope that helps someone.

Here is a good recap of the Kim tragedy:

Kim Tragedy in the Oregon Rogue Wilderness | Narrative, Forum, Information

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 AM

It seems like every year someone gets lost in a blizzard winter camping or X/C skiing in northern Nevada and dies of exposure; or a car breaks down in Death Valley and the occupants foolishly try to walk for help and their bodies are found eight miles from the car; or someone decides to run the length of the Valley in July, and they actually make it all the way. To some people, taking such risks is crazy. But we need wilderness to get lost in, and yes, even die in if necessary. I don't want to go, but when I do go I hope it's in a blaze of glory in the wilderness.

Here's a quote from Edward Abbey.

We need wilderness because we are wild animals. Every man needs a place where he can go to go crazy in peace. Every Boy Scout deserves a forest to get lost, miserable, and starving in. Even the maddest murderer of the sweetest wife should get a chance for a run to the sanctuary of the hills. If only for the sport of it. For the terror, freedom, and delirium. Because we need brutality and raw adventure, because men and women first learned to love in, under, and all around trees, because we need for every pair of feet and legs about ten leagues of naked nature, crags to leap from, mountains to measure by, deserts to finally die in when the heart fails.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
To some people, taking such risks is crazy. But we need wilderness to get lost in, and yes, even die in if necessary. I don't want to go, but when I do go I hope it's in a blaze of glory in the wilderness.
Buzz,

I live in Chicago but spend a week or two in Nevada each year. I have been to every county in the state at least once, and most, several time. I place the blame on Deke Castleman's Nevada Handbook. I was surprised that someone could write a book on the state where Las Vegas was an afterthought.

There are FEW places in the US where you can take a walk and hear NOTHING - no planes, cars, engines, etc. There are many places in Nevada - the playa in the Black Rock Desert, the artist colony at Tuscarora, the Ruby Mountains near Elko, etc.

At least once a year, we head out to the remote areas for a day or two and get away from teh sensory overload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California