Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Whither our right to privacy.

If its so important, then get a warrant. My 2 cents.

Quote:
California legislation that seeks to limit CD and DVD piracy could run headlong into the 4th Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures.

Here’s the deal, according to this LA Times piece: the recording industry is pushing to give law enforcement the power to raid manufacturing plants without notice or a court order to make sure manufacturers are making discs that are legit and carry all the necessary marks.

But the proposed anti-piracy bill ginned up by Calif state senator Alex Padilla (pictured) has irked some constitutionalists.

“We have the 4th Amendment that generally requires probable cause, for a search,” Loyola law school professor Laurie Levenson told the Times. ‘This is a huge exception.”

California Anti-Piracy Bill Raises Constitutional Hackles - Law Blog - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Whither our right to privacy.

If its so important, then get a warrant. My 2 cents.
Since when did the Legislature care about the law or Constitution?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Wow a leftist Kalifornia politician looking to take away constitutional rights. Who would have thunk it.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Media piracy is like terrorism, drugs, or crimes against children: Just another excuse for government to take away the rights of the innocent in the search for the guilty.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
It says manufacturing plants but nothing about private individuals. As and indie artist, I can appreciate crackdowns on big illegal bootleg operations after having to jump through all the hoops just to get something released that, in my case, only a small number of people ever hear. Whether small or big, that's lots of money lost.

On the other hand, first it will be the big time bootleggers then it will be the 13 year old who're really doing no harm at all (people who copy and burn in their homes are an asset IMO).

Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It says manufacturing plants but nothing about private individuals. As and indie artist, I can appreciate crackdowns on big illegal bootleg operations after having to jump through all the hoops just to get something released that, in my case, only a small number of people ever hear. Whether small or big, that's lots of money lost.

On the other hand, first it will be the big time bootleggers then it will be the 13 year old who're really doing no harm at all (people who copy and burn in their homes are an asset IMO).
But the problem with this is they can't do the job by just going in and looking around. It would involve confiscating whatever media your work is stored on and having it analyzed by a lab. It costs the business time and money and most likely will result in the delay of manufacturing DVDs for customers.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
But the problem with this is they can't do the job by just going in and looking around. It would involve confiscating whatever media your work is stored on and having it analyzed by a lab. It costs the business time and money and most likely will result in the delay of manufacturing DVDs for customers.
I see your point but it really doesn't take that much. A lab would not need to analyze the media. With music CD's all one has to do is load it into a computer with software that can detect and read the ISRC codes. Even I have that. Also, while the music on a CD is owned by the artists, the masters are owned by the record companies and a good spectrum analyzer will show the unique wave pattern. Burned CD's (and DVD's) are different than stamped ones. The rest is all visual.

I'm not disregarding the constitutionality of this. Problem is, that article does not make it clear what types of operations they're really going after.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
This is called opening the door to removing your rights ... They always start with something less controversal and something people could agree with but once the door is open they can easily ammend to remove more controversal rights without you being aware of it. This is no surprise given the current state of our society and what they are really preparing for.

YouTube - ‪NWO - TORONTO - ID CHECK - SHOW US Z PAPERS - Public Works Protection Act - ( Toronto - 2010 )720P‬‏

Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:

That's strange. Most indie artists like yourself generally embrace BitTorrent as a cheap and free way to advertise their works.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Problem is, that article does not make it clear what types of operations they're really going after.
And that's the point. The more vague, the more the authorities can go on non-stop fishing expeditions. Great, now I guess I have to browse the web through a VPN at all times and encrypt all of my hard drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: