Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Wisconsin. I've been looking to move for about a few years now. I would like to live close to the beach, yet also close enough to a city to have some fun! Although I'm young, I want to be able to get a somewhat good night sleep each night.

In WI I'm currently renting a 1br apt for $660/mo and work two jobs that, on average, bring in $1,000/mo.
Looking into California rental listings I've noticed the outrageous rent amounts. Is it possible, in your opinion, for a single woman like myself to make it on my own in California?

I'd appreciate any input. Thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall3 View Post
Is it possible, in your opinion, for a single woman like myself to make it on my own in California?
There are millions of single people who are able to make it on their own in California. It's very possible.

Is it the best thing for you personally? Only you can answer that - but in answer to your post, yes, millions of young single people are able to make it just fine here.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Is it the best thing for you personally? Only you can answer that - but in answer to your post, yes, millions of young single people are able to make it just fine here.
I understand your aprehension, and I have put much thought into the move.
Would you have any recommendations about best places to live?

Thank you!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
There are lot's of places you can live but you probably have to plan a day trip to the beach. You can share a room (student style living) or maybe rent a room out of someone elses home. It's really impossible to tell you WHERE since you don't have a job ANYWHERE yet. The "best place" is where you can make it all work.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
In most of the ocean communities that you'd want to live in and if you want to live alone, you'll need to spend between 800 and 1K a month but possibly more depending.
$800 for a good place is cheap!
You can get lucky and find a relatively inexpensive studio.
They go very fast in my neck of the woods.
Living on the coast of California is extremely expensive and where it's not, you may not want to be.
Because i'm not a fan of Southern Califonria and because i love the central coast there are 3 counties that i usually recommend for a young person who wants to live on or near the coast.
Santa Cruz County, Monterey County and San Luis Obispo County.
Here are 3 links to the different counties as well as links to craigslist for apartments/houses and for room-mates.

Santa Cruz County, California

(any town in the county although parts of Watsonville are iffy)

Santa Cruz County apts/housing

Santa Cruz County rooms & shares

Monterey County, California

(Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove are the 3 towns that you'll want to explore ... others in the county are iffy and i wouldn't)

Monterey Bay apts/housing

Monterey Bay rooms & shares

San Luis Obispo County, California

(I don't know the county well enough to guide you but San Luis Obispo itself is one that i can recommend)

San Luis Obispo apts/housing

San Luis Obispo rooms & shares

All 3 are are very pricey with S.L.O. being just a bit less so.
But and obviously, living with room-mates is an affordable option.
All 3 areas have colleges and/or universities.
In terms of "fun" (and if i'm reading you accurately) Santa Cruz county may suit you best.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall3 View Post
Would you have any recommendations about best places to live?
What kind of work do you do currently, and what other skills do you have? What are you interested in doing? It's much easier to suggest a location, if we know your job situation/prospects!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
You should probably try to learn some valuable skills and then find a job before moving. Maybe some clerical stuff. Your grammar is perfect so that alone would make me think you can make more than $1000/month which is probably minimum wage.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 30,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Santa Cruz County, California

(any town in the county although parts of Watsonville are iffy)
Same with the dumpier parts of Santa Cruz, Live Oak, and Capitola. There's actually less crime per capita in Watsonville than SC or Capitola. But I agree, there are iffy parts of Watsonville that I would avoid (as well as some great areas). Just gotta point out that north county isn't immune to iffyness.

With that said, yes, it's entirely possible for a single woman to make it on the California coast. PLENTY are doing it right now. You'll likely make more money out here, and if needed will learn to sacrifice certain things to make it work. In a lot of the more middle class (income wise) coastal towns, people drive older cars, live in smaller homes, or take up roommates to make things work - it just becomes part of the culture.

We are kinda full though. :-p

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
Same with the dumpier parts of Santa Cruz, Live Oak, and Capitola. There's actually less crime per capita in Watsonville than SC or Capitola. But I agree, there are iffy parts of Watsonville that I would avoid (as well as some great areas). Just gotta point out that north county isn't immune to iffyness.

With that said, yes, it's entirely possible for a single woman to make it on the California coast. PLENTY are doing it right now. You'll likely make more money out here, and if needed will learn to sacrifice certain things to make it work. In a lot of the more middle class (income wise) coastal towns, people drive older cars, live in smaller homes, or take up roommates to make things work - it just becomes part of the culture.

We are kinda full though. :-p
Yes, agreed.
I'd rather live in parts of Watsonville than Live Oaks which i don't care for at all .... as well as parts of S.C. and Capitola.
It's just that if she's looking at craigslist and see's a relatively affordable place in Watsonville and thinks, "oh boy" i could do that", she needs a heads up.
The likelihood of finding a relatively inexpensive but good place in Live Oaks or in other less desirable places in of S.C. or Capitola is slim.
There's a lot of expensive junk / dumps around town.
I've looked at, over the years, "cottages" or "cabins" (they're never either ... more like glorified shacks) for 1K and more and often on 1 million + property where the landlords live in a beautiful home but provide a rental with, as an example, holes in the screens .... and sometimes no screens.
I call them high end slum lords.
Don't get me started about the rental scene in S.C. county and don't let me discourage you o.p. ... i'm just a little jaded when it comes to renting.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM

51 posts, read 81,480 times
Greeting lady, Im looking to move to CA real soon...taking a semester off from school. I am set on moving to Santa Cruz, where I am going to do an internship type deal...I've heard the place is great for young people/laidback/diversity. Its a big decision but I think itll be worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California