Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following areas would you be most likely to recommend?
Vandenberg Village 2 33.33%
Lompoc 0 0%
Casmalia 0 0%
Orcutt 2 33.33%
Los Alamos 0 0%
Gaviota 0 0%
Buelleton 0 0%
Santa Maria 2 33.33%
Other, please explain. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,265 times

Advertisements

In about a year I'll be relocating to Vandenberg AFB. I'm interested in renting instead of buying and I need to find the best area to rent that's not too far from the base (no more than 1 hours drive). Through online research, the most apartments seem to be located in Lompoc, however, Lompoc seems to be the least liked of all the surrounding areas. I am interested in up-scale, safe areas and the closer to the beach, the better. What are the negatives and postives about Lompoc and the surrounding areas? If anyone with knowledge of this area could help I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I was stationed there from 1995 - 2004. If you want to live in a nice area close to the beach then you'll need to go north to Pismo Beach, Avila Beach or San Lius Obispo. They're about a 40 minute drive from the base. Lompoc is not so bad but that all depends on where you're coming from and what you're looking for. Check out Vandenberg Village for nice apartments halfway between the base and Lompoc. Orcutt is also a decent place to live. The beaches close to Lompoc or the base are not good for swimming. Dangerous currents, windy and very cold. Feel free to PM me for more detailed info. I'm considering taking an assignment back there myself. My wife is from there and she wants to be closer to home for awhile. If I were going to live off base again it would either be Orcutt or Vandenberg Village.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Default Rentals.....

Hi,
we are living and renting in Lompoc. We sold our house recently and
plan on moving to New Mexico. But, until then we are renting a condo
in Lompoc. Its not bad, its $1,300 for a 3 bed/2 1/2 bath condo. We have
lived here 5 yrs,its husband home town, and he retired from the military here
and now works civil service on Vandenburg. Vandenberg Villiage is nice
but fewer rentals there, and the utilities are more out there, AND the water
is VERY hard there. But that may not be an issue for you. Orcutt is a
very nice place! Its not as cold and damp as Lompoc. Its about 15-20 min
to Vandenberg AFB. That might be a good choice for you. Good Luck!

Greenchili

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 50,471 times
Hi All

I'm also moving to Vandenberg AFB next summer and am looking for a place to live off-base. I want something nice and up scale in a good neighborhood since I'll be getting a newborn around the same time. I've been looking at this place in Santa Maria with nice townhouses and a place in Lompoc. The place in Lompoc isn't as nice as the place in Santa Maria, but it's closer to the base. How long is the drive from Santa Maria to the base and what is the traffic like? I've only heard great things from people who've been there.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui8 View Post
Hi All

I'm also moving to Vandenberg AFB next summer and am looking for a place to live off-base. I want something nice and up scale in a good neighborhood since I'll be getting a newborn around the same time. I've been looking at this place in Santa Maria with nice townhouses and a place in Lompoc. The place in Lompoc isn't as nice as the place in Santa Maria, but it's closer to the base. How long is the drive from Santa Maria to the base and what is the traffic like? I've only heard great things from people who've been there.
Hi
Traffic in the mornings might make the drive from Santa Maria a bit
longer than usual. Usually takes about 20 mins from Vandenberg to SM.
Where are you looking in Lompoc?. My husband
works civil service on base and Lompoc is much closer for us to live. There are also rentals in Vandenberg Village which is just as close to base.
The traffic from SM to base isnt traffic compared to other places. Traffic
in Lompoc is really a non issue! What traffic?
Welcome to the Central Coast!

Deb

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hi
Traffic in the mornings might make the drive from Santa Maria a bit
longer than usual. Usually takes about 20 mins from Vandenberg to SM.
Where are you looking in Lompoc?. My husband
works civil service on base and Lompoc is much closer for us to live. There are also rentals in Vandenberg Village which is just as close to base.
The traffic from SM to base isnt traffic compared to other places. Traffic
in Lompoc is really a non issue! What traffic?
Welcome to the Central Coast!

Deb
Thanks for the reply!
I found a place in Lompoc called Windscape Village. It's what I'm looking for, except I want my own garage. I've been thinking that maybe it'd be better to rent a house than an apartment. I'm just curious what the towns are like. I'm from a small, small town (1600), so I like it quiet. My girlfriend will want a place with lots of shopping and preferably, a Nordie's close because that is where she works and they are willing to transfer her. I'm trying to pick a place that is close to base and offers the big city amenities without the big city problems.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Your welcome,
I know the Windscape Village. Its nice but small places and no
garages. We rent a condo with a 1 car garage. Its nice enough,
but we want to buy again here,so this is only till next April when
the new homes we are looking at will be ready. You can check out
plusmanagement.net and see alot of rentals around the area with
the prices and pictures. We rent through them. Lompoc is small with
what is generally considered limited shopping. Santa Maria has more
stores etc, but sorry no Nordstroms, that would be Santa Barbara,
which is about 1 hr away. There is a Macys in SM,maybe your girlfriend
could work there. Any more questions, happy to help!

Deb

Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Your welcome,
I know the Windscape Village. Its nice but small places and no
garages. We rent a condo with a 1 car garage. Its nice enough,
but we want to buy again here,so this is only till next April when
the new homes we are looking at will be ready. You can check out
plusmanagement.net and see alot of rentals around the area with
the prices and pictures. We rent through them. Lompoc is small with
what is generally considered limited shopping. Santa Maria has more
stores etc, but sorry no Nordstroms, that would be Santa Barbara,
which is about 1 hr away. There is a Macys in SM,maybe your girlfriend
could work there. Any more questions, happy to help!

Deb
Thanks for the website. I'll have to check it out. The place in Santa Maria is pretty nice and has a two car garage. I also found a house there that is nice. But I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM

36 posts, read 168,555 times
Santa Maria is probably best for you if you want more city amenities. Santa Barbara if you can afford the rents. Lompoc is small and VV is smaller. There are decent townhomes in SM called Montiavo. I have friends that live in them that like them. If you need childcare there are also more options in SM than Lompoc.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCS View Post
Santa Maria is probably best for you if you want more city amenities. Santa Barbara if you can afford the rents. Lompoc is small and VV is smaller. There are decent townhomes in SM called Montiavo. I have friends that live in them that like them. If you need childcare there are also more options in SM than Lompoc.
Yeah, I was actually looking at the Montiavo place. It looks really nice. What is the neighborhood like around the complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California