Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times

Advertisements

I'm a Californian voter registered as a member of the Democratic Party but now I prefer to be associated with neither the Democratic Party nor any other party.

How do I become an independent and relinquish my political-party membership?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Re-register as a Decline to State.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Just be mindful of dates if you are going to change your party affiliation. If you want to vote in this year's Presidential election, you must change prior to October 22, 2012.

Obviously, there is no necessity to change immediately, as you can vote for whomever you like. But if you do want to vote this year, either stay as you are now until after the Presidential election or get your party changed prior to the 22nd of this month.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Just be mindful of dates if you are going to change your party affiliation. If you want to vote in this year's Presidential election, you must change prior to October 22, 2012.

Obviously, there is no necessity to change immediately, as you can vote for whomever you like. But if you do want to vote this year, either stay as you are now until after the Presidential election or get your party changed prior to the 22nd of this month.
This is not true. Your current registration is sufficient to vote in the General election. Changing your party does not invalidate your current registration.

You can also register as Independent as well as Declined to State. (Which is now called No Party Preference. NPP)

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
This is not true. Your current registration is sufficient to vote in the General election. Changing your party does not invalidate your current registration.

You can also register as Independent as well as Declined to State. (Which is now called No Party Preference. NPP)
Wonder what they will call it next cycle. I guess renaming it makes it sound like something new and exciting. All I can think of is the cost of all the forms they had to replac. Your tax dollars hard at work!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I'm basing my response on this. Scroll down to page 10 under the heading where it says change of address, name, political party ( sorry it's long). It seems to me that changing your political party, according to the state, requires you to re-register to vote.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/guid...-vr-drives.pdf

But to OP play it safe, either stay the where you are until after elections, or change before the 22nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California