Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM

13 posts, read 30,864 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Quick question on registering an out of state vehicle here in Cali. I went to the DMV and did all the paperwork, etc, and they gave me my temp registration, some red piece of paper to put in the window, and told me they would mail me my plates. I asked the lady who was helping me at the DMV if I should take my old out of states plates off the car, or leave them on and she just shrugged and said she didn't know...anyone have any idea? I'm assuming take them off since the car is no longer registered out of state, but figured I would check in with people here

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Just leave your old plates on until the new ones come in. Situations clear to a cop if they do pull you over. No plates draws more scrutiny.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Just leave your old plates on until the new ones come in. Situations clear to a cop if they do pull you over. No plates draws more scrutiny.
No. Old plates are useless. Remove them.

The "red piece of paper" is a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP). Make sure its displayed, thats your reg until your plates come.

Are you sure the TOP wasn't issued because of an incomplete application or need for smog certificate transmission to DMV? Is is 30 or 60 day TOP?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Yeah that sounds fishy. They should have given you plates unless you ordered special ones. I had a similar situation and then thirty days later I got a letter saying my plates were going to be suspended because they couldn't verify my insurance even though I gave them all of that when I registered. It took craziness to sort it out because there's no office to call and talk to a human about it.

Definitely display the TOP, I'm wondering why you have your old plates? They took my Texas plates. Sounds like you may not have a complete registration.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
No. Old plates are useless. Remove them.

The "red piece of paper" is a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP). Make sure its displayed, thats your reg until your plates come.

Are you sure the TOP wasn't issued because of an incomplete application or need for smog certificate transmission to DMV? Is is 30 or 60 day TOP?

No, the application was complete, title is in my name, had smog checked, etc.
I believe the TOP is 90 days, but maybe it's 60 days, I can't remember.

So:
1) put red paper in window and 2) which I'm still confused, do I take old plates off or leave them on?

Thanks everyone for the responses

Last edited by jrs130; 01-21-2013 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: added smog check

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

The old plates are defunct. Remove them. Some states require them to be surrendered if you leave the state, but this rarely happens, so don't worry about it. Your car is now reg'd in CA, per the TOP, so your old plates are useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Agreed. If all in order as OP states, then they do give you plates and sticker right then and there. Some detail is missing.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM

378 posts, read 761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Definitely display the TOP, I'm wondering why you have your old plates? They took my Texas plates.
You're allowed to keep your plates if you request it.

Sounds like she didn't even ask about it. And you're right, it's odd, if everything's complete, why didn't she give him plates? Sounds like she didn't make much of anything clear at the time of the transaction.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Agreed. If all in order as OP states, then they do give you plates and sticker right then and there. Some detail is missing.
I wish I knew what it was...they did all the paper work, etc, I paid, and they said plates will be in the mail in a few weeks

the lady seemed like she had no idea what she was doing either, she had to ask for help like 3 times

Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Call DMV, wait on hold, give your vin, verify application is complete.

There are circumstances other than incomplete ap (i.e. field office is out of hard plates) when they would issue a TOP, I don't want to worry you too much. But it may pay to check sometime before the TOP expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California