Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 45,212 times

Advertisements

Husband is working for a company that wants to move him to Fort Irwin, CA..He would be making about 6 figures...what and how far would this go in CA...looking around Barstow or down to Apple Valley or VVille? Just have a sick feeling in my gut about housing and schools we have a child who will be in 7th grade. Any information would be so helpful...Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,097,178 times
House prices arent too bad in Apple valley. Theres 99 houses priced between $200k and $250k on realtor com. Youll get about 1250 square feet for a quarter million. Other areas may be cheaper, havent looked into them. Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM

14 posts, read 74,296 times
Dear Mom of a child in Th Grade... Perhaps your gut's sick feeling is trying to tell you something... I dont know where you live in KY...but the Fort Irwin area is no Kentucky blue grass state. May I make a suggestion before you make a move...come and visit the area...check the schools...learn a bit about California alternative life-styles, politics and social issues...then make a decision. Perhaps been able to afford a house in CA is not your biggest problem... My wife and I moved our family to CA some 30+ yrs ago... We all've done well but I think it's time to move out... My daughter is moving her young family to CO. and I only wish I could bring my son and his wife to-be out to Texas with me but he has to wait another 15 yrs before retirement form law enforcement. My dear mother of a six grader...perhaps your sick feeling is trying to tell you something. Best of luck on such an important decision. God bless.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,210,609 times
To the original poster, I agree with the person who responded and said that visiting the place(s) you might relocate to is the best thing to do. Sure, you can look up stats online, but you do not know the culture, the attitudes, the communities until you go and visit, and see if things "mesh". I have found (truly) that people's opinions about places are entirely subjective. What someone loves, you might loathe, and vice versa. I think feeling "sick" about moving, or the thought of moving can be related to many things. Leaving a safety/comfort zone of friends, family, social network, etc. is a big issue if you and your family are entrenched with such in KY. I don't know what your case is there, but if you're not READY to move emotionally, it's going to be tough, even if you were moving to Shangri-la. I've gone through periods in my life where moving was not even a consideration, and then there are times in your life where you feel that a move is in order, and it is time. Perhaps you don't feel it is time at this point; this can make you feel sick. I do believe in listening to your gut feeling. It might not have anything to do with there you might be moving to, it could be that this is not the right time for a move - anywhere.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:19 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,655 times
Tis true that in the East particularly, families have deep roots, tis often quite difficult to move to the West,, where roots if any tend to be shallow, this can be disconcerting and painful to anyone accustomed to finding inlaws, parents, grandparents, cousins, second cousins in the area... This needs to be thought through, the rootless ness of the West can be invigorating or miserable,, depending..

Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 45,212 times
I want to thank all who posted and well wishes! Hubby's company he works for is flying us out to cali next week to check things out....as far as moving to a new place this doesn't bother me. Husband retired from the air force last year after serving 20 years so moving every 2 years I am used to..I'm more or less concerened about my son. I hate moving him from school to school as he is a shy one like me! As for housing we are gonna check out renting a home...because we know if he ends up taking the job it is not for good maybe 6 years at the MOST! Then back to KY or TN (TN is cheaper for taxes) So next week we will fly out and check things out! I really do appreciate your words of advice so heart warming knowing there are still some wonderful caring people in the world!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:28 AM

66 posts, read 409,489 times
6 years? Buy a house in California and make some money off of it while you're here!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM

171 posts, read 880,558 times
Default Welcome to CA!!

LOL Citygirl, I have to agree with you.

Dear Whitewave, welcome to california. I'd say rent for a year to get to know your areas and then buy to gain alittle bit back before you leave back to KY.

I think you'll like the AppleValley. It isn't near as fast paced as the major cities. And since as someone mentioned most Californians are transplants or the children of transplants and do not have "roots" as it was said, I think it makes them more willing to greet new people to the area. They find their roots in friendships and the family of friends they build over time. Also, because we are more liberal as some people put it, we are more apt to be accepting of you just the way you come, with out any prejudgements or misconceptions.

I hope your visit goes well and your move even better than that.
Welcome to CA!!
Kali

Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,471,937 times
Kentucky is a completely different world than california...but the area you will be in won't be congested at all if you don't like the cold it's a great place...and there is no humid heat like the southeast...nothing but dry heat..which is a lot better...that area's middle school should be fine

Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 AM

892 posts, read 2,373,393 times
Not that this applies to you but large knives are not allowed to be worn in public here. I had a friend come to visit us from Kentucky and while in line at Disneyland her boyfriend whips out a 6 inch pocket knife to cut a string on his pants or something. I about had a heart attack and was looking around for security worried we were about to get kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California