Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so please bear with me with any missing parts..

I'm a New Jersey resident with a NJ DL. And I have a leased smart car with a NJ license plate. My fiancee is moving to CA for school. I want her to bring the smart to CA so that she can drive it. However, her name is not on the lease agreement and she doesn't qualify to have the lease transfer to her. So I was thinking maybe we could just bring the NJ registered smart to CA and purchase another insurance for her to drive it and be done with this issue. I will keep making the payments and keep it registered in NJ, and she will drive it in CA. Obviously, I will also drive it every month when I'm there. But does this work...? The lease will be over in 20 months so we only plan to do that for 2 years.

If you have any better suggestions, please let me know! Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Seems to me a better plan would be to have your girlfriend lease a car in California in her name. You can pay the lease payments for her, if you are so inclined.

If you don't want to do that, you better talk to your lease company and insurance company about your plan. I suspect you may have trouble getting her insurance for the car if she isn't on the car lease.

Under California law, anyone who will be living in California for more than six months needs to register their vehicle here. (The only exception is for military members). See: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/howto/htvr33

And, a word to the wise: Long distance relationships have a funny way of going pffffffftzzz so make sure to talk to an attorney about putting together a legal contract covering the use of your car or your payments on a car before your girlfriend drives off to California, no matter how much in love you two might be today.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-04-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California