Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

What do you see being more in demand and a secure job? I know that recruiters can make more money with the commission. I also know recruiter positions are most common around large cities where as paralegals/legal assistants are also common in large cities, but can also can be found in small to mid-sized cities in California.

I am curious which has more job growth in the future and more demand in the future in California?

I read a new and upcoming trend is paralegal firms which do the work for law firms.

I also read the average salary for paralegals in CA is about $51,000 a year. I have read the most paralegals usually make is about $63,000 in California and that's usually for the largest law firms.

I am guessing legal assistants demand will increase as immigration cases increase in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Depends on the kind of work environment you would prefer. A recruiter will always be under pressure to meet a quota. I'd guess they don't work set hours. Whereas, a legal assistant would work a normal workday, with maybe some overtime. There may be pressure to meet deadlines, but not to meet a quota. There wouldn't be a commission to worry about or compete with anyone for.

My daughter ended up in Payroll. This is a job that is always in demand, as every business has a payroll. It's very specialized, and once you get experience and get certified, you can make good money. My daughter started out at the bottom, and got certified at the lower level, then at the professional level, and when she got her first supervisor position, she was making $80,000. And that was in Monterey, where salaries are not as high as the SF Bay Area. She does not have a degree.

She attended payroll conferences every year, and renewed her certificates and the required education every year, and learned different payroll software programs. She has worked her way up to a payroll systems analyst position making over $100,000/year. This process took her about 15 years.

But, look at what payroll professionals make. Even payroll assistants. To start, it is a lot of data entry, and bookkeeping.

I used to work for lawyers, and they are notoriously cheap. No matter how rich they are.

I'd expect you to do much better becoming a payroll professional. It's a very specialized field of law, without a lot of competition in the field, and once you get above the data entry level and earn your certificates, you can make a pretty good wage.

Here's some info:

Certification

Old 02-22-2015, 12:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
On the other hand a legal assistant with the right background can get a true professional job and can potentially work for the court system, state or Federal. Recruiters are essentially salespeople. Apples and oranges.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Depends on the kind of work environment you would prefer. A recruiter will always be under pressure to meet a quota. I'd guess they don't work set hours. Whereas, a legal assistant would work a normal workday, with maybe some overtime. There may be pressure to meet deadlines, but not to meet a quota. There wouldn't be a commission to worry about or compete with anyone for.

My daughter ended up in Payroll. This is a job that is always in demand, as every business has a payroll. It's very specialized, and once you get experience and get certified, you can make good money. My daughter started out at the bottom, and got certified at the lower level, then at the professional level, and when she got her first supervisor position, she was making $80,000. And that was in Monterey, where salaries are not as high as the SF Bay Area. She does not have a degree.

She attended payroll conferences every year, and renewed her certificates and the required education every year, and learned different payroll software programs. She has worked her way up to a payroll systems analyst position making over $100,000/year. This process took her about 15 years.

But, look at what payroll professionals make. Even payroll assistants. To start, it is a lot of data entry, and bookkeeping.

I used to work for lawyers, and they are notoriously cheap. No matter how rich they are.

I'd expect you to do much better becoming a payroll professional. It's a very specialized field of law, without a lot of competition in the field, and once you get above the data entry level and earn your certificates, you can make a pretty good wage.

Here's some info:

Certification

Very informative post.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:47 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
thanks for the great posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: