Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM

9 posts, read 7,196 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in Michigan, and want desperately to move somewhere warm. i have heard from quite a few people that California would be a good choiceconsidering weather, but not so much on cost of living. Most importantly, I will be graduating next year for accounting and my fiancé will be finishing up with his air traffic controll training. This relocation will be a few years from now, and I know that it all depends on where he finds a job, but I really want to get an idea of an ideal city and state to be looking at. Based on what I have read, air traffic controllers get paid decent in CA and there is a higher employment rate for that field, is that true? We are still both living at home, then to an apartment when we are married, and of course need to save up money for the move. But I like to plan ahead as much as possible, and really need to find some living ideas ahead of time. We want pretty mild temps, which I was told is perfect in CA but we also don't want to worry about earthquakes. If you could suggest some places that is not too crazy expensive, mild temps, and very few earthquakes I would so appreciate it! And another really important thing... Do you guys have big bugs??? I try to avoid them at all costs haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
With air traffic control, you take the city that is offered. You get to put in requests, but it's based more on what's needed. They say you can decline a location, but it's not a good idea to do that as it might be another year before a new offer comes up. And getting through school is no guarantee of getting a job.

Pay is dependent on the size of the facility and the location. It's a set number and you should be able to research on line the starting salary at various facilities. Pay starts lower, and increases in increments as the controller gets checked out in different positions.

Good luck w your move.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
All of California has very few earthquakes and very few big bugs.

In my lifetime here (45 years) I have experienced exactly one earthquake in which a few things fell out of cupboards. So bolt your tall furniture to the wall and put latches on cupboard doors, and don't worry about it.

It's too dry here for large bugs to thrive. Sure, out in the desert you might run into a scorpion or tarantula here or there, but if you mean big bugs flying around in the summer months pestering people...we really don't have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California