Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 8,928 times

Advertisements

I am travelling from England to CA in 2 weeks

with my family can I buy a car there (CA) and take it to Texas? Is this a good idea? ( we are going to live in TX) What registrations and fees do I have to pay after I am taking my car to another state
? (We have to travel from CA to Texas by car that is why I need to get a car in CA)
Waiting for your advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
You'll have to look up the TX department of motor vehicle laws regarding registering a car in TX. Or just call them up.

Usually, if you've paid tax on a vehicle in one state, then you don't have to pay it again in a different state.

If TX requires you to pass a smog test, and the vehicle recently passed one in CA, you'll probably pass one in TX, too.

Something to keep in mind, when you buy a vehicle in CA, by law, the seller is supposed to have the vehicle pass a smog test within the last 90 days. Lots of sellers try to get around this law, and will sell a vehicle cheaper than the blue book price, saying it's "as-is" and you are responsible for getting it smogged.

Just know that legally, they're supposed to pay for it to pass smog before you buy it.

Have a great trip.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
If TX is your final destination you might as well rent a car for the 2 or 3 days.

I've had friends arrive from Germany and buy a cheap car then tour the Americas... even Canada and Mexico for 3 months... it made sense for them and one got all her money back because there are few cheap rust free cars in New York where she sold it fly home.

The other actually had the car totaled and it took a long time and was very hard to deal with Insurance on the road and then even harder when they were back in Germany.

Don't forget you will need insurance if you buy.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:21 PM

34 posts, read 52,800 times
Renting a car to get you to TX would be the prefered method, because CA cars have a ton of smog equipment on them. Versus vehicles in other states have less the equipment and less the problems, even a 49 state federal car is great to have as long as you are out of CA.

Also you might pay to register vehicle in CA but wont get the title for a few weeks in the mail, then turn around and register it again in TX they may stick you with the taxes again. I know from CA to AZ you have to pay taxes based on the vehicles value and also the registration fees. So for my 2003 pickup when I move to AZ in December I will end up paying another $300 after i just renewed my registration a month ago in CA.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John chevi View Post
I am travelling from England to CA in 2 weeks

with my family can I buy a car there (CA) and take it to Texas? Is this a good idea? ( we are going to live in TX) What registrations and fees do I have to pay after I am taking my car to another state
? (We have to travel from CA to Texas by car that is why I need to get a car in CA)
Waiting for your advice please.
Rent a car and drive from CA to TX, you will get charged a drop off fee as it is a one way rental.

If you buy a car in CA you will pay for the registration, than when you get to TX you will have to do it there.

You don't want to do that.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
I you buy private party you have 10 days to register and this applies only if you are still in California when the 10 days is up.

So you could buy, travel the State for 9 days and then leave... I have had friends that were students do this...

You still need to be insured...

Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Many national U.S. car rental firms do not charge a one way fee to visitors from the U.K. if you book overseas before you arrive.

I would carefully compare what registration fees are in California and Texas before making the decision to buy in one place or another. You can do this by googling "California DMV car registration fees" and "Texas DMV car registration fees."

California has some of the most expensive car registration fees in the U.S., plus cars here are often more expensive in general due to California smog regulations. If you do buy here, you will need to also pay registration fees in Texas, but out of state registration fees aren't too bad there see: TxDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

Plus, you'll likely have a hard time getting insurance lined up in the short time you are here after you buy the car. You do NOT want to drive from California to Texas without car insurance.

It would be best to rent a car for your trip. Or even better, fly to Texas after your California stay. That way, you'll be able to get settled in your new home without being tired after a long drive. Minimize stress before your move. Save the Southwest drive trip for after you have had a chance to get acclimated to your new life in the U.S.---you'll enjoy it more.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 AM

692 posts, read 855,111 times
Texan transplant here -- agree on the vehicle, disagree on the road-trip. Once they settle in they may not get the opportunity for years, and it's a trip that's WELL worth driving. it'll cost some money but it doesn't have to be stressful at all.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 8,928 times
Default Car insurance

I was able to buy a car from uk in CA. Now I am trying to me temporary permit /insurance for it can you give me some ideas how where I can do it? It is a chevrolet. Suburban and I have uk driving licence.
Otherwise if I can not make insurance for the car what the police can do when he stops me on the road???!
Urgent answers needed please we are living next thuesday!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
The confusing wording in your posts indicates that you are not a native speaker of English. First, have you already paid for the car while in the UK? Before you can register your car in CA, you will need a notarized bill of sale and the original title, emissions test and proof of insurance (an insurance binder will suffice), assuming that the car is already registered in the state. You must also pay California sales tax on the purchase price. You don't need a CA driver's license or proof of US citizenship or legal residency.

You may also be able to obtain a CA "in transit" permit or temporary registration usually good for 30 days allowing you to take the vehicle out of state.

After you arrive in Texas, go to the office of the Texas DMV serving the county where you will reside. See link below.

Texas County Tax and DPS Office Contact Information | DOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California