Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am moving to CA, bringing two cars equip with dash cameras. I've primarily used them in case of accidents and they have paid for themselves 10-fold per interactions with idiots on the road. I understand that CA is a two-party consent state and one must place a placard in the vehicle, notifying passengers that their conversation may be recorded as the camera faces the road ahead.

My question is for those familiar with Dash Cam laws in CA. If you are in an accident, or pulled over by a police officer, are you required to receive consent from the other party, considering they are not in the vehicle? The law is unclear in this situation, as I would argue (a) they have no reasonable expectation of privacy on the public road, and (b) they are in what could be considered to be in "public space".

Thanks!
Adr3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Shouldn't be a problem considering all the videos taken by cell phone users.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Public road . Public restroom, depends who you show it too. 38 million people, just saying.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Hi All,

I am moving to CA, bringing two cars equip with dash cameras. I've primarily used them in case of accidents and they have paid for themselves 10-fold per interactions with idiots on the road. I understand that CA is a two-party consent state and one must place a placard in the vehicle, notifying passengers that their conversation may be recorded as the camera faces the road ahead.

My question is for those familiar with Dash Cam laws in CA. If you are in an accident, or pulled over by a police officer, are you required to receive consent from the other party, considering they are not in the vehicle? The law is unclear in this situation, as I would argue (a) they have no reasonable expectation of privacy on the public road, and (b) they are in what could be considered to be in "public space".

Thanks!
Adr3

You can simply turn off the audio part of the recording device.

After all in a accident all the audio will pick up is you or your passenger screaming
CRASH BANG SCREECH
OH S**T
OH F**K
GODFUGGUNGDAMMITALLTOHELL
YOU STUPID SONUVABITCH
MY CAR. OH NO MY CAR
HOPE YOU DIE BASTAAARRRDDD
MY MOM IS GONNA KILL ME
MY DAD IS GONNA S**T BRICKS
DONT WORRY. MY DADS A TV REPAIR MAN. HES GOT THIS ULTIMATE SET OF TOOLS. I CAN FIX IT.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
A long as it is not obstructing the drivers view thru the windshield there is no violation of the law. (I like rearview mirror styles.. Or the one that fits behind the mirror)There is no expectation of privacy for a public official in a public place ...people film us all the time... I expect I am being videotaped by citizens all the time... I'm videotaping you.. I have no problem with you doing the same.

I also run a dashcam in all my personal vehicles

I highly recommend it in one of the most litigious States in the US. If you are not obstructing or interfering with me in the performance of my duties (see 148 PC) you are welcome to film and record my statements... If you took a camera and shoved it in my face touching me that wouldn't go well... But I know that's not what your talking about. You will notice as a point of reference that many vehicles use cameras in California.. Buses..commercial trucks school buses.. Airport transportation... They have no special dispensation

Good luck!!!

Please see 26708 (a) cvc

Recording parties talks about two private parties

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-09-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
A long as it is not obstructing the drivers view thru the windshield there is no violation of the law. (I like rearview mirror styles.. Or the one that fits behind the mirror)There is no expectation of privacy for a public official in a public place ...people film us all the time... I expect I am being videotaped by citizens all the time... I'm videotaping you.. I have no problem with you doing the same.

I also run a dashcam in all my personal vehicles

I highly recommend it in one of the most litigious States in the US. If you are not obstructing or interfering with me in the performance of my duties (see 148 PC) you are welcome to film and record my statements... If you took a camera and shoved it in my face touching me that wouldn't go well... But I know that's not what your talking about. You will notice as a point of reference that many vehicles use cameras in California.. Buses..commercial trucks school buses.. Airport transportation... They have no special dispensation

Good luck!!!

Please see 26708 (a) cvc

Recording parties talks about two private parties
Thank you very much for this info.

My cam's are small and suctioned right behind my rear view mirror.

I like to have the audio on so I can record screeching tires and the a-like. If I were pulled over, do I have to give the officer notice that the audio is being recorded? Just a friendly note of course. Or since they would be outside my vehicle, notice may not be required?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California