Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM

170 posts, read 292,014 times

Advertisements

I am a resident of Hawaii and plan on going to California to visit family and purchase a new car there (from dealership). I've done some research and I can save some money by purchasing there and shipping to HI. Instead of getting a rental car I'd like to use the new car for 2 weeks before I ship it to Hawaii. Do I need any kind of permit to use the car in CA since it won't be registered? I found some info on the CA DMV website but not sure if those permits can apply to me. TIA!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr36
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I believe the full California Sales Tax will be due unless you are a Dealer.

Back when I worked at a Dealership we had to physically deliver to the Stateline... it could be as simple as me driving it or a licensed carrier.

Does Hawaii credit you for taxes paid elsewhere?

Don't believe you will be able to drive off the lot without registration and insurance... maybe if you paid cash and had a transporter to the the Dock...

California Sales Tax could be 10%... good to know ahead of time.

Oregon has no Sales Tax so it wouldn't seem to be an issue.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:57 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
I am a resident of Hawaii and plan on going to California to visit family and purchase a new car there (from dealership). I've done some research and I can save some money by purchasing there and shipping to HI. Instead of getting a rental car I'd like to use the new car for 2 weeks before I ship it to Hawaii. Do I need any kind of permit to use the car in CA since it won't be registered? I found some info on the CA DMV website but not sure if those permits can apply to me. TIA!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr36
If you plan on buying it in California and driving it for 2 weeks before it's shipped out, then California registration is due and will be paid to the dealer at the time of purchase.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I believe the full California Sales Tax will be due unless you are a Dealer.

Back when I worked at a Dealership we had to physically deliver to the Stateline... it could be as simple as me driving it or a licensed carrier.

Does Hawaii credit you for taxes paid elsewhere?

Don't believe you will be able to drive off the lot without registration and insurance... maybe if you paid cash and had a transporter to the the Dock...

California Sales Tax could be 10%... good to know ahead of time.

Oregon has no Sales Tax so it wouldn't seem to be an issue.
Hawaii will credit taxes.

If I register in CA I can use my mom's address which is 8.5%.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If you plan on buying it in California and driving it for 2 weeks before it's shipped out, then California registration is due and will be paid to the dealer at the time of purchase.
So it sounds like I can only purchase and drive it to the port.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Hawaii will credit taxes.

If I register in CA I can use my mom's address which is 8.5%.
Not sure... since there are hundreds of different tax jurisdictions we always went by the address of the registered owner... so if someone was buying from the next county... they were charged the tax rate of the county of residence.

My dated experience is we could not "Deliver" the car to the end user within California unless the tax was paid... I made a couple trips to Oregon to "Deliver" cars and more often simply used a transporter...

How does Hawaii tax rate compare to you Mom's rate...

As long as Hawaii credits the amount paid and California doesn't charge more you should be in good shape.

California also issues one time trip permits... I have used these before... I guess you could request one from the Dealer to your address in Hawaii...

So the insurance would be the next question... maybe your carrier will provide coverage at time of purchase?

Are you buying all cash?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Actually, I'd suggest using your Hawaii address to register it. If you use your mom's address you'll need to pay a bunch of extra fees specific to that county--those fees are waived for an out of state address.

Since the California fees aren't pro-rated, no point in paying more than you have to.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Quote:
To be safe and not put yourself in a position to have to pay California taxes, have the dealer deliver the car to the port. You should not drive it in the state of California, period.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM

^^^Exactly how it was done when I worked at a California Dealership.

I buyer took possession State Board required payment of taxes unless buyer held occupational Dealer/Transporter/Wholesaler license with very limited military exceptions.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Ok I contacted both DMV and the dealership. DMV basically to ask the dealership. Dealership told me that I have to pay CA sales tax no matter what to drive it off the lot. I can't avoid the tax and drive it to the port. The sales tax I will be paying will be where the dealership is located. They will give me all the necessary paperwork to get it registered it in Hawaii. They said I can use the car while I'm there. I will just need to purchase insurance in CA for the vehicle and cancel it once the vehicle arrives in HI. Also, I do not have to pay a sales tax to Hawaii since the CA is more and it offsets the HI tax rate.

By purchasing a vehicle in CA I can still save myself 2-3K even when paying CA tax and shipping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California