Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 10:42 PM

242 posts, read 317,882 times

Advertisements

I know the windshield suction cup mounts are illegal because of impaired visibility, but what about air vent mounts? The purpose of a mount is to keep hands on the steering wheel & keeps on the road.

Can you mount a mobile device at the center air vent?

DMV isnt too specific & there really are no videos on Youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Unless they changed the law in the past year or so, windshield mounts are allowed. They have to be in the extreme lower left corner, I think the lower five square inches, and on the passenger side, the lower seven square inches. Something like that. I've never been stopped. What they are trying to stop is people putting the mounts in the center of the windshield, which does obstruct vision.

Another thing that I have never been stopped is where I mount my dashcam. I mount it to the right of the rear view mirror, hidden behind it enough to not obstruct vision.

However, don't take my word for it. Best to check the Vehicle Code manual to make sure.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Wow, nanny state. Now they can tell me where to mount my gadgets in the name of safety?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 AM

323 posts, read 377,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Wow, nanny state. Now they can tell me where to mount my gadgets in the name of safety?
When it impacts the safety of other people on the road because you plowed into them while playing Angry Birds, yes.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:30 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
i just put it in the cup holders and look once in a while. its the sound direction that i pay attention to not the screen

Old 12-21-2016, 07:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:
Some of these "nanny states" also includes:
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Most of the states passed laws to completely make any type of mount on the front windshield illegal. In the name of public safety. Only in some states like CA allow for certain locations as long as it doesn't obstruct the driver's view.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:04 AM

295 posts, read 354,439 times
Quote:

Have you seen how big many smartphones have become? They definitely can pose an obstruction to your vision. What I'll be more concern about though is that the phone can become a dangerous projectile in an accident when mounted so high up on the windshield.

But to answer the original question I think you'll be fine with a vent holder as long as the phone doesn't protrude too high over the dash. There are now those screens that pop up quite high above the dash so it shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California