Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times

Advertisements

I bought a car in December of 2016 my tags expired in Jan, 2017 I asked the place what was going on with the registration and the guy tells me there is no smog on file. So i ask " i paid for the reg. fee's and all that at the time of purchase why is there no smog on file. he didn't have an answer he just kept saying i will take care of it. It is now almost April and still no tags, they want me to make my payment for this month but i refuse to make a payment until i get my tags. what should i do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
It was not legal for a dealer to sell you a car without having the vehicle smogged. Are you getting nasty notices from the DMV about the vehicle registration renewal? Have you called the DMV about the smog cert issue?
Isn't the finance company chasing you for the payments or is this a buy here and pay here dealer?
You have some serious problems here and you may need to see an attorney for assistance.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
They can't even title the car in your name unless the smog was done. You cannot complete the registration without a completed smog check

Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2boys0509 View Post
I bought a car in December of 2016 my tags expired in Jan, 2017 I asked the place what was going on with the registration and the guy tells me there is no smog on file. So i ask " i paid for the reg. fee's and all that at the time of purchase why is there no smog on file. he didn't have an answer he just kept saying i will take care of it. It is now almost April and still no tags, they want me to make my payment for this month but i refuse to make a payment until i get my tags. what should i do?

Do you really want to mess up your credit report because of a smog check? The finance company will not care why you missed it.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
There may be no Finance company, he may be dealing with a buy here, pay here lot.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2boys0509 View Post
First, to fix the situation:

1. Call the DMV and ask where your transfer application is at. Are they holding it for some reason? Did they return it back to the dealer because of the SMOG? Is anything else--title, signatures, etc.--missing? Hopefully it just needs a Smog.

2. If the DMV returned the paperwork to the dealer, go to the DMV website and print out a Statement of Facts. On the blank lines, write something like "I am demanding my DMV paperwork, I will complete the transfer myself." Take it to the dealer--they are required to turn the paperwork over to you.

3. The dealer should give you the paperwork. Get your Smog, turn in the paperwork, you're done.

4. Then fill out a Record of Complaint form and submit it to DMV concerning the dealer. They will investigate the dealer to see if he has a pattern of not completing paperwork.

If you stop making payments, I can pretty well guarantee they'll repo the car.

Let us know how it plays out.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Same happen to a friend... it took a year and nothing happen until she filed government complaints... Dealers have bonds on file with DMV and she threaten to go after it... 72 hours later and one visit and she had her plates...

Now, if the car fails smog... it can be a never ending nightmare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California