Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,308 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out the best approach for my situation. I am moving to CA for a job lasting 16 months, returning to my home state of MD (where i own a home) after. My employer is leasing a house for me in CA (rental and utilities will not be in my name). I am planning on buying a used car in CA to use while I"m there.

First off, do I need to get a CA drivers license? It seems like I'm supposed to but I might not have a ton of proof for residency other than employment.

And secondly, if I don't get a CA license, will I run into any problems registering my used car purchase in CA with a MD license? I'm trying to get the car shortly after arriving so would hate for the license situation to slow down the process of being able to drive it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Your car registration and insurance will have a calif address. That should be enough to get a calif DL.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I don't think the state cares about showing any residency proof, other than you need an address to go on the license and where it will be mailed to, that can be a PO box even.
They just want you to know the laws and pass the test... You can take practice tests online and I highly recommend you do so because they are guaranteed to have one or two 'trick questions' that get worded in such a way to purposefully confuse. Read the questions and answers several times...
The last time I had to renew my license, I did not know I had to take the written test. But I knew they had trick questions so I was very careful reading and answering. I got 100%.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanks. Will I be able to register my car with a MD license?

Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Just get a CA license. Much less hassle. If there is a wildfire, earthquake, flooding, etc., the police often cordon off neighborhoods and only allow people back to their residence who have a CDL with their current address on it (to stop disaster looky-loos).

Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Before you do anything, compare your car insurance in CA vs. in MD.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbeck11 View Post
Thanks. Will I be able to register my car with a MD license?
Yes.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Before you do anything, compare your car insurance in CA vs. in MD.
Can you explain what you mean? Just that the rate is going to be different? I mean I need a car in CA and so have to insure it. Don't really have a choice in that.
Thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 11:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
If you get a CA license you would be surrendering your Maryland license. You can't have licenses from different states. If you're temporarily here, you probably would want to keep your Maryland license. Check with the DMV or go on their website.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
If you get a CA license you would be surrendering your Maryland license. You can't have licenses from different states. If you're temporarily here, you probably would want to keep your Maryland license. Check with the DMV or go on their website.
Right that's what I'm kind of struggling with. I know I will be in CA temporarily but it seems its longer than CA would like you to be there without a license. Also I will have a car back in MD registered and insured there. I'm not clear on whether getting a CA license would affect that in any way.
Not trying to subvert the law or anything. Just trying to do what makes sense for my situation.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California