Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Why is he trying to tax drinking water at all?
Q: Why are you posting in the forum again when you said you were disappearing?

A: Because you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Carry on then.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I used Nevada as an example because I know of several people who actually are essentially Californians who have substantial ties to California but actually reside technically in Nevada despite them owning homes in LA. I can certainly understand people wanting to stay in California if it’s their place of business as essentially the extra cost of taxes are simply a extension of the cost of doing business or for someone (a lawyer friend of mine comes to mind) who has basically built his whole career around entertainment law in LA but for the more mobile investor or business owner with several location opportunities I see no benefits only detrimental impacts. I’d PREFER to live in California as I actually really like the place LA in particular but I’d have to pay too much tax and give up way too many freedoms to make that an option. But if California suddenly became business friendly and respected the constitution I’d be there in a heartbeat but it isn’t going to happen they are too far down the road to change back towards the right path.
I am curious, what specific freedoms are you giving up?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I used Nevada as an example because I know of several people who actually are essentially Californians who have substantial ties to California but actually reside technically in Nevada despite them owning homes in LA. I can certainly understand people wanting to stay in California if it’s their place of business as essentially the extra cost of taxes are simply a extension of the cost of doing business or for someone (a lawyer friend of mine comes to mind) who has basically built his whole career around entertainment law in LA but for the more mobile investor or business owner with several location opportunities I see no benefits only detrimental impacts. I’d PREFER to live in California as I actually really like the place LA in particular but I’d have to pay too much tax and give up way too many freedoms to make that an option. But if California suddenly became business friendly and respected the constitution I’d be there in a heartbeat but it isn’t going to happen they are too far down the road to change back towards the right path.
It sounds like you are condoning the idea of lying about what state you reside in in order to save money on taxes? Tell your friends to be really careful with that, it's not like the California franchise tax board isn't aware of that and similar tax avoidance schemes. In other words, there is no legal way to reside technically in Nevada and actually live in California. But aside from that, there is likely little savings in trying to play that game. A Nevada business is subject to the tax rates of the states in which they do business, and both states have a corporate income tax. Nevada's is 4-9% and California's is 8.84%

And what freedoms does Nevada offer you that are not afforded you in California?

Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It sounds like you are condoning the idea of lying about what state you reside in in order to save money on taxes? Tell your friends to be really careful with that, it's not like the California franchise tax board isn't aware of that and similar tax avoidance schemes. In other words, there is no legal way to reside technically in Nevada and actually live in California. But aside from that, there is likely little savings in trying to play that game. A Nevada business is subject to the tax rates of the states in which they do business, and both states have a corporate income tax. Nevada's is 4-9% and California's is 8.84%

And what freedoms does Nevada offer you that are not afforded you in California?
If they spend 179 days or less in California they are fine. I certainly condone arranging your affairs so that they are tax effective. I don’t have any business assets in California anymore we sold our assets there as we felt that better opportunities existed elsewhere with higher net returns.

There are many ridiculous intrusive laws in California....particularly with Automobiles.

But any state that doesn’t support 2nd amendment rights is not a state I could live in.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
If they spend 179 days or less in California they are fine. I certainly condone arranging your affairs so that they are tax effective. I don’t have any business assets in California anymore we sold our assets there as we felt that better opportunities existed elsewhere with higher net returns.

There are many ridiculous intrusive laws in California....particularly with Automobiles.

But any state that doesn’t support 2nd amendment rights is not a state I could live in.
You didn't answer my question but I guess you are aware of that. You completely failed to even attempt to explain how living in California for 179 days and Nevada for the rest of the year will save you money on your business.

I live in California, my husband and I own guns and no one has come for them yet and I have never experienced any "intrusiveness" when it comes to my vehicles.

But go for it, Nevada sounds perfect for you, just watch out for the speed traps, they have to get revenue somewhere ya know...

Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Glad my foci in life don’t include obsession with taxes (which I pay willingly as cost of living here) ...or guns (which I also own)

Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You didn't answer my question but I guess you are aware of that. You completely failed to even attempt to explain how living in California for 179 days and Nevada for the rest of the year will save you money on your business.

I live in California, my husband and I own guns and no one has come for them yet and I have never experienced any "intrusiveness" when it comes to my vehicles.

But go for it, Nevada sounds perfect for you, just watch out for the speed traps, they have to get revenue somewhere ya know...

try and walk around Target with your gun and you'll know what he's talking about. My guess is your gun isn't a AR also.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM

43 posts, read 45,721 times
its called "RICH CALIFORNIANS GET OUT"i have just seen that,even painted on someone's car.(its not my remark.)A lot of tax payers look forward to many of the states breaking up,someday.and making their own entrance laws.--and departing the fed. if it gets too big,fat,bloated, and impossible to support.--especially.There is a lot of anger and resentment about Oregon being literally invaded and taken over, so the cost of living is too high in Oregon now.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Dallas000 View Post
its called "RICH CALIFORNIANS GET OUT"i have just seen that,even painted on someone's car.(its not my remark.)A lot of tax payers look forward to many of the states breaking up,someday.and making their own entrance laws.--and departing the fed. if it gets too big,fat,bloated, and impossible to support.--especially.There is a lot of anger and resentment about Oregon being literally invaded and taken over, so the cost of living is too high in Oregon now.
The "Rich" Californians are probably middle class in CA and are driven out to neighboring States. Just about everyone I know, who has left CA, has owned their home and were financially fine, but tired of wasting money. Two others had health issues due to the poor air quality in most of CA. Only one other lost his house due to the marriage falling apart.

Yes anecdotal but actually fits most of what I have read. The actual poor are not leaving as they do not need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California