Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

He never transferred ownership over to him. I sent in the release of liability. The registration expired months ago. I am getting tickets from the Toll Road.
1st question it is a $2500 car, with rapidly escalating DMV fees and late charges and Toll Road fees and late charges it would cost so much to register it most people wouldn't unless they got the car really cheap. What happens to the car?
Main question if he gets pulled over by the police will they realize that the registration is not paid, no smog check, and no insurance. what happens, will they impound it?
Please don't tell me what I did wrong, I know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
This may be a forum first: you didn’t blame the communist Democrats ... and took responsibility for your own error.

I think I’m going to rep you, vega. Another first.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:56 AM

585 posts, read 635,398 times
Sending in the Release Of Liability is the best thing you did. Photocopy it (I'm sure you kept a copy, right?) and mail that to the Toll Roads HQ in Irvine with a letter explaining the circumstances.

If the car is unregistered for over 6 months, it can be stored (a type of impoundment) by law enforcement under CVC 22651. If the car has more than 5 unpaid citation or toll road violations (law enforcement has to dig around in their databases for this one, the info does not come up automatically on the basic running of a car), it can also be stored under CVC 22651, paranthetical sub-section i as in India, if I recall correctly.

If the driver is driving the car and it has not been 6 months unregistered, the vehicle can be cited by a parking control employee or law enforcement for CVC 4000(a), unregistered vehicle.

Driving without insurance is a citation, but not a storing or impoundable one. The cite section is listed as non-corrective, but it can be corrected by a bench officer in a court appearance.

Smog check status is a line on the DMV database return, but it is not a citable offense. Instead, the DMV suspends registration, even if payment has been received, until the vehicle's smog check comes into compliance. It would be considered an unregistered vehicle and treated as above.

People will often claim that they cannot be in violation of an unregistered vehicle because they sent in the money. Even if they did, the registration is only partially complete until proof of smog check is received and accepted by DMV.

A semi-complete registration is not a completed registration. It is considered an unregistered vehicle. Just like one is not a father until the baby is actually born, a car is not actually registered until all requirements are met.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Get a copy of the release of liability (and bill of sale). Call the Toll Roads and ask them what to do. They probably will tell you to send the paperwork to them so they don't send you any more notices. Call DMV and make sure they have the release of liability. I think you should be fine.

Why do you worry about whether they impound the car? If you have no liability anymore, it shouldn't matter.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Mom sold a good car cheap to help someone down on their luck... Photocopied drivers license, mailed in release certified and provided a current smog...

For whatever reason the car was never transferred and the letters and tickets started coming... she was 70 at the time and couldn't sleep... as she is by the book and kind...

Finally I set up a meeting with her elected representative and his office submitted the certified mail receipt, copy of liability release, etc and that was the end of it...

The office said having all the information was key...

Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I'll bet there are plenty of scofflaws in Calif. that buy a car and never transfer ownership over to them. So even though the seller has sent in the release of liability the car is still in his name and he gets parking tickets and toll road tickets and who knows what all else. Causing great anxiety and worry to the seller. Seems like a terribly Micky Mouse system and it's been this way forever.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'll bet there are plenty of scofflaws in Calif. that buy a car and never transfer ownership over to them. So even though the seller has sent in the release of liability the car is still in his name and he gets parking tickets and toll road tickets and who knows what all else. Causing great anxiety and worry to the seller. Seems like a terribly Micky Mouse system and it's been this way forever.
Well, that's the whole point of the Release of Liability. If someone doesn't title, it's a hassle to keep responding with a copy of the Release, but there's no financial liability to worry about.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
^^^ True if properly filled out and sometimes it could require court determination

Old 01-28-2020, 09:58 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Still try to blame the system? What more do you expect from them?

Old 01-29-2020, 05:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
He never transferred ownership over to him. I sent in the release of liability. The registration expired months ago. I am getting tickets from the Toll Road.
1st question it is a $2500 car, with rapidly escalating DMV fees and late charges and Toll Road fees and late charges it would cost so much to register it most people wouldn't unless they got the car really cheap. What happens to the car?
Main question if he gets pulled over by the police will they realize that the registration is not paid, no smog check, and no insurance. what happens, will they impound it?
Please don't tell me what I did wrong, I know that.

It gets towed. If nobody picks it up and pays the late fees/registration the car goes to sale/auction. The tow company goes after the last owner of record for tow fees not covered by the sale of the car if any additional fees are incurred. Yes ultimately you shouldn’t have to pay. Unfortunately you’re the one having to deal with this bs because of one irresponsible a-hole. That’s why when I sell a car the title transfer happens at AAA. I am very clear about it when I talk to the person over the phone.

Most likely they will tow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: