Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2021, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 745 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have signed a 2 years lease contract Marin county, CA (6 months left) but would like to cancel the lease because of lots of noise coming for a newly created sports/ recreation field bordering our back yard. Is this a reason to break the lease and still claim back my deposit?

Some more context
The sport/ recreation area is recently opened up (Oct 2020) we have been suffering during the construction period but since the turf field opened up the noise from people/ kids practising sport is a disaster. We cannot quietly enjoy our back yard and even indoors with closed doors and windows you can hear noise.
The turf field starts 10ft from our backyard and next to the turf field there is a side walk (at 6 ft from our backyard) where people are walking and staring into our backyard.

Landlord warned us prior to signing the contract (July 2019) that there were plans to remodel this area into a recreational area/ sports area but plans were not set in stone.

I have been asking him to put a fence etc but he is unwilling to accommodate that.

Any kind of advise is welcome how to approach this.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 06:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes1980 View Post
Hello, I have signed a 2 years lease contract Marin county, CA (6 months left) but would like to cancel the lease because of lots of noise coming for a newly created sports/ recreation field bordering our back yard. Is this a reason to break the lease and still claim back my deposit?

Some more context
The sport/ recreation area is recently opened up (Oct 2020) we have been suffering during the construction period but since the turf field opened up the noise from people/ kids practising sport is a disaster. We cannot quietly enjoy our back yard and even indoors with closed doors and windows you can hear noise.
The turf field starts 10ft from our backyard and next to the turf field there is a side walk (at 6 ft from our backyard) where people are walking and staring into our backyard.

Landlord warned us prior to signing the contract (July 2019) that there were plans to remodel this area into a recreational area/ sports area but plans were not set in stone.

I have been asking him to put a fence etc but he is unwilling to accommodate that.

Best

You can leave anytime you want. In California the rental laws state the landlord has to mitigate. Now...the caveat to doing this is you must pay the monthly rent until the LL find a suitable tenant. What this means is he has to actively advertise the unit but doesn’t have to rent to anyone less qualified than you are. So he doesn’t have to take people, with lesser income credit and overall qualifications just to get a tenant to let you off. You are liable for the rent until the new tenant moves in when and if that tenant is found.
Usually you must keep the utilities on and cannot leave the property uninhabited which is something most leases have as a clause.
The landlord disclosed to you that there will be some sort of development possible at a future date and you still rented. You could of said no a d found another place. You took the chance. He is not required to do anything like build a fence. Which imo would do absolutely nothing to stop the noise.

What I would do if I were you is ask of there is a way to end the lease if you pay say...two months worth of rent as a penalty for early termination.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:00 AM

148 posts, read 137,329 times
Quote:
noise coming for a newly created sports/ recreation field bordering our back yard.
noise from people/ kids practising sport is a disaster
I can't imagine a more cheerful, enjoyable sound than hearing kids playing soccer or baseball.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:18 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Quote:

Some more context

Best
Think it's bad now?

Wait until Summertime! Even MORE people might glance in your yard when it warms up. Oh, the humanity!

Much drug dealing there at night? Again, wait until Summertime!

Great 1st post though.

Ever see the TV show "BeWitched?" Well, you're "Mrs. Kravitz."

Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
You honestly don't have but a few months to go with your lease. Ride it out and be eyeballing someof new digs.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
I'm wondering why there's so much activity there, during Covid. Are all these people wearing masks, and distancing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California