Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 12:50 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

In 2018 CA imposed significant restrictions on civilian ammunition purchases. Of course anywhere in CA is only a few hours from NV, which has no restrictions. When this passed, I figured a lot of shooters would just drive over the border and buy whatever they wanted. There was talk of CA agents surreptitiously surveilling gun stores and show in NV to try and ID CA buyers to target for later harassment.

So a few years later, what is actually happening? I googled for smuggling arrests/cases, and found a few high level cases against cartel connected smugglers trying to move guns and ammo to Mexico. But I didn't see anything about the state going after normal residents bring back ammo for there own use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 01:05 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Some of the folks I know, go to Arizona empty, and return loaded.

I haven't bought ammo since 2018, come to think of it. Then again, I don't have anything to shoot, so that's just as well.

However, when the SHTF, ammo could be a darn strategic commodity. You know, to "horse trade" with. (At least in the early stages of the catastrophic events.) After that, it's anyone's guess...

Old 08-21-2022, 01:24 PM

467 posts, read 778,049 times
Watch out for trades where someone only needs one.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:50 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
First off, reload. Second, no one is "checking" anything. Coming back from Vegas or Phoenix the lots are filled with CA plates at Bass Pro. This is literally one of the dumbest laws CA politicians have signed. They don't check at the border because it's so stupid. LE has much better things to do than enforce some liberal, virtue signaling crap.

How do they one up this nonsense? Oh wait, micro-stamping has already been taken. Maybe they can start a roster? Oh wait, that's been done too.

Crime..... the same. Idiots.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:11 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Some of the folks I know, go to Arizona empty, and return loaded.

I haven't bought ammo since 2018, come to think of it. Then again, I don't have anything to shoot, so that's just as well. ...
The last ammo I bought was a case (1,000 rounds) of .357 magnum so that will last me a long time. Since the pandemic the price of ammo skyrocketed. Even if I go out of state, the ammo price was too expensive to buy.

It was a good thing that I stocked up during the Trump Administration. Looking forward to his 2nd term to acquire more ammo.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
The last ammo I bought was a case (1,000 rounds) of .357 magnum so that will last me a long time. Since the pandemic the price of ammo skyrocketed. Even if I go out of state, the ammo price was too expensive to buy.

It was a good thing that I stocked up during the Trump Administration. Looking forward to his 2nd term to acquire more ammo.
The ammo shortage started in 2020, during the pandemic. As far as I know Trump was POTUS then.
https://www.silencercentral.com/blog...%20and%20ammo.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The ammo shortage started in 2020, during the pandemic. As far as I know Trump was POTUS then.
https://www.silencercentral.com/blog...%20and%20ammo.
By that time, I've acquired enough ammo.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:16 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Ammo shortages started right after Sandy Hook. Every time a politician, we won't mention the party, claim they want to "ban" something. The latest one was from our very own self inflicted COVID lockdowns. Then more talk about bans, double whammy.

https://www.wafb.com/2022/02/21/ammu...2-years-later/

It just turns out the current one tops all of them and still does. This also goes for firearms, said "party leaders" call for "assault weapons" ban. Even though it's not even a real thing but the media will run with it.

This whips everyone into a frenzy. Self made problem, all of them. Supply shortage, moron politicians wrangling for votes. Here we are.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-22-2022 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ammo shortages started right after Sandy Hook. Every time a politician, we won't mention the party, claim they want to "ban" something. The latest one was from our very own self inflicted COVID lockdowns. Then more talk about bans, double whammy.

https://www.wafb.com/2022/02/21/ammu...2-years-later/

It just turns out the current one tops all of them and still does. This also goes for firearms, said "party leaders" call for "assault weapons" ban. Even though it's not even a real thing but the media will run with it.

This whips everyone into a frenzy. Self made problem, all of them. Supply shortage, moron politicians wrangling for votes. Here we are.
That's true. Everytime the politicians talk about banning guns, the sales of guns & ammo skyrocketed. There was a joke that a previous POTUS talked about banning guns but he should be credited as the "best gun salesman of the year".

Back in 2020, I remembered local TV stations broadcasted local guns stores were running out of stock because demand for guns & ammo were so great, especially in Asian communities because people were blaming the COVID that originated from China. The "out of stock" problem continues today.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:30 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,178,218 times
There may be a tiny bright spot on the horizon - pay attention to what happens with Rhode v. Bonta
(Armed Scholar has a summary on the latest on his YouTube channel - sounds like California is trying to delay the inevitable by dragging out the litigation as long as possible)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California