Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,546,824 times

Advertisements

As predicted, Ahnold signed AB 1844, Chelsea's Law this morning. It's a one-strike law for certain sex offenders with life without possibility of parole as a potential punishment and significantly increased prison terms for other specified sex offenders.

An appropriation? What appropriation or specified money stream? Oh hell no. Tax payers just have to eat the costs just like they did for Jessica's law which cost an extra $30+ million just in evaluations for potential sexually violent predators, not to mention the costs of indeterminate commitments to a secured state hospital for treatment that most of them refuse to participate in.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
Anything going on in MO?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,306,860 times
Call me jaded but I'm automatically against any law named after a victim. It always make me think "knee jerk and not well thought out".

I haven't researched this one yet. However, simple, to the point laws that are universally enforced SHOULD be all that is required to prevent break downs that lead to tragedies like these.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anything going on in MO?
Rain (over 2") but that's about it for this slice of America. Thanks for askin'. How are things in the hinterlands of South America and Asia?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
The tortillas are flying out the door and I don't know about the Asian part.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The tortillas are flying out the door and I don't know about the Asian part.
Well, keep them south-western pancakes comin'. Gotta have sumpin ta hold our deep-fried pork tenderloins 'n mayonnaise.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,653,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Call me jaded but I'm automatically against any law named after a victim. It always make me think "knee jerk and not well thought out".

I haven't researched this one yet. However, simple, to the point laws that are universally enforced SHOULD be all that is required to prevent break downs that lead to tragedies like these.
I doubt it will prevent a single murder or other serious crime.

More cops on the street may have prevented John Gardner from killing Chelsea King ; even the death penalty would not have prevented him from doing so. You can make the harshest laws in the world and if the risk of apprehension is low few criminals will be deterred. Normal people might be, but normal people aren't violent rapists.

This is just pork for the California Correctional Peace Officers Union to make sure the prison population keeps expanding at a time when California can't afford to house the prison population it has, and the taxpayers will be forced to pick up the bill. Because it's "simple to the point" and easily sold during an election year and the prison guards' union is the most powerful lobbying force in the state, the lawmakers eat it up.

That said I wonder if "Godwin's Law" will ever be on a California ballot

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,160,016 times
Quote:
I doubt it will prevent a single murder or other serious crime.

More cops on the street may have prevented John Gardner from killing Chelsea King ; even the death penalty would not have prevented him from doing so. You can make the harshest laws in the world and if the risk of apprehension is low few criminals will be deterred. Normal people might be, but normal people aren't violent rapists.
It could even had an effect that is opposite of what's intended. If the penalty for rape is the same as the penalty for murder, and you are more likely to be caught if you let your victim go after raping her ... some criminals will put two and two together.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,880,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It could even had an effect that is opposite of what's intended. If the penalty for rape is the same as the penalty for murder, and you are more likely to be caught if you let your victim go after raping her ... some criminals will put two and two together.
lol I've actually heard about that logic happening. It was a ABC news broadcast. I think its called inside the mind or something. One of the episodes was about serial killers. They talked with one serial killer who killed like 10 people. The reason he killed the first person was because he met this girl at a bar and they had sex. While they were having sex for some reason he started hitting her. He didn't want to get caught for domestic violence so he figured it would be better to kill her and try and hide the body.

So he killed her and threw the body in the woods. When they found the body some random nut job lady was mad at her boyfriend so she said they BOTH killed her and dumped the body out there. They found those two guilty and they went to jail. Meanwhile, Mr. serial killer was let free to go.

Many of these laws are passed with good intentions but in the end they have very real external effects.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,190,642 times
I'm happy it passed. Having heard the countless news stories about her and Amber being killed, my heart broke. It's disgusting that someone can be so cruel. I watched that scumbag's sentence on tv I teared up when both the girl's families went up there and showed slideshows of them. This law needs to happen. People like that guy need to be locked up for life and never let out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California