Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

My husband is on the tail end of his air force career and will be looking for jobs in places ranging from air ports (his dream job would be a small, tiny airport) to anything in logistics or of course military bases

I'm getting depressed trying to find areas where he can work that aren't, well places we just don't want to live. We are at Travis Air Force base now and just don't like the area, even though I grew up here. We'd love somewhere much more small town like- not commonly found around air ports or air force bases- and lots and lots of trees.

We would both love somewhere in the Sierras. I always gravitate back there and hate that we can only be in places like that once a year or less and I would just love to be able to walk out my front door and be there! Is there anywhere that this is possible that I haven't found yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Google Gansner field at Quincy, CA. It's about a mile north of town so you can walk or bike there.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Vandenberg Air Force Base‎ is probably the nicest air base location in CA.

There are all kinds of smaller and midsize airports throughout the state though. We have a nice one right here in Monterey which actually has connector flights into major international airports. Check out this map of all California Airports. A lot of nicer locations than were you are at now in looking at the map. The whole Eastern Sierra side of the state has small airports (see map). And Fresno is close to Kings Canyon. You could live closer to the park and your husband could commute into work there.

Another option which I would consider would be to work out of San Jose and live in the Santa Cruz Mtns. In that case you have a pretty nice combination of things - beautiful scenery, great proximity to the coast and a larger airport with more potential job opportunities.

Jobs are the real question for all of these places. But maybe you can work out a good compromise with your husband based on these locations. Oh, I just thought of another, Reno is right next to Lake Tahoe. Tahoe and Truckee both have smaller ariports as well.

And if you are willing to look outside of the state and like trees and green Portland (PDX) is a beautiful location.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-09-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamingmom View Post
Is there anywhere that this is possible that I haven't found yet?
Colorado Springs. Three Air Force Bases, the Air Force Academy....lots of Air Force Culture. Right at the base of the Rockies, under the shadow of Pikes Peak. Much more affordable than a lot of California. (Surprised Derek didn't beat me to this suggestion.)

What type of job is he looking for?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
There are so many choices. Just out of curiosity have you thought of any state other than Ca? I only mention this because of the cost of living and the employment problems right now. If you do want to stay in Ca and won't consider anything else, I think Vandenberg is a good suggestion, but have you thought about NM or Co for starters?

NIta

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Colorado Springs. Three Air Force Bases, the Air Force Academy....lots of Air Force Culture. Right at the base of the Rockies, under the shadow of Pikes Peak. Much more affordable than a lot of California. (Surprised Derek didn't beat me to this suggestion.)

What type of job is he looking for?
Yeah, I was actually thinking of CO as well. But I just wasn't sure if she was considering out of state and if so how far. Being a military family and roaming mom, maybe they want to settle somewhere in CA near family?

Derek

Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,919 times
Look into WA. Plenty of military facilities on both sides of the Cascades, and lots of small and large airports, plus every kind of scenery and recreation you could possibly want.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,225 times
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses so soon! Thank you!

My family is in CA, but we are open to other states if they are enticing enough. Colorado Springs actually sounds nice and although it wasn't open for his career field before, dh says that after his masters program it will fit perfectly.

I'm absolutely going to look into every place mentioned here, thanks so much for the ideas!

I was actually looking into Truckee/Reno last night and really liking it. I was put off a bit by some forums I found this morning showing Truckee people to seem very jaded by their surroundings and not very open to "outsiders" moving in so I'm not as sure about it now. Any input on that?

I did start looking at small airports along the sierras, Mariposa looks nice. A little more scary since it wouldn't have the stability back up of a base for a fall back job, but to live next to Yosemite would be my ultimate dream location if it could work!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamingmom View Post
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses so soon! Thank you!

My family is in CA, but we are open to other states if they are enticing enough. Colorado Springs actually sounds nice and although it wasn't open for his career field before, dh says that after his masters program it will fit perfectly.

I'm absolutely going to look into every place mentioned here, thanks so much for the ideas!

I was actually looking into Truckee/Reno last night and really liking it. I was put off a bit by some forums I found this morning showing Truckee people to seem very jaded by their surroundings and not very open to "outsiders" moving in so I'm not as sure about it now. Any input on that?

I did start looking at small airports along the sierras, Mariposa looks nice. A little more scary since it wouldn't have the stability back up of a base for a fall back job, but to live next to Yosemite would be my ultimate dream location if it could work!
I don't live in Truckee (although i was born there) but my sense is that it's a populated enough area with so much tourism and so many ski resorts with so many people coming through all the time and HW80 runs through it and San Francisco is "right down the road", etc.
I've never had the sense that the Truckee / Tahoe area is closed or provincial.
But i don't live there so i don't know.
I've just never felt that way when i visit or travel through.
It is a bit pricey though ... much more expensive than Mariposa.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,280 times
I agree with Charles. You should take a look at Colorado Springs. A lot of our neighbors are retired Air Force and I work closely with a couple of USAF contractors. Most of their employees are ex-USAF. There are many amenities, like medical, BX's, fitness centers, and other stuff that you will be able to access because of the 4.5 major military bases in COS> Shriever, Peterson, USAF Academy, Ft Carson(Army), and Cheyenne Mountain. All of these have employment opportunities that favor retirees.
If you want to live in trees search the northern end of Colorado Springs> Black Forest, Monument, or Palmer Lake, or check out the Colorado Springs section of the CO forum.
Thanks for your service to our country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California