Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 AM

68 posts, read 229,024 times

Advertisements

We have a 2009 TDI Jetta sedan. We travel to the west coast to see our kids and the fuel economy is great. However, hotels/motels are getting to be a bit pricey. Has anyone towed a T@B with a Jetta diesel? Is this a possibility? Our other recourse would be to get a pickup and a camper to fit on it--I think they're referred to as sliders. We don't need a lot of space--we like things cozy. But now we're talking some big bucks and with the economy the way it is maybe now is not the time to do something like this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Simple answer is no, Most of the T @ B's start out at about 2000 pounds EMPTY, I think your vehicle has a tow rating at maybe 1000 pounds at best.....

Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
T@Bs have a dry weight of about 1600 pounds and a GVW of just under 2000 pounds. Your TDI owner's manual might have something in it about towing limits. If not, check with your dealer, but if you go that route I'd ask to see something in writing, as car salesmen will often give you incorrect information rather than say "I don't know."

If you're willing to consider a used camper this isn't a bad time to buy, as camper sales have been very poor the last couple years. Even if looking for new you can find some deals.

I've owned a couple slide-in truck campers and have enjoyed them very much, but climbing in and out of the overhead bed just got to be too much for my wife, and we finally moved on to 5th wheels a decade ago.

The thing about truck campers is that they take a pretty big truck to carry the weight -- most prefer a 1-ton dually. My first TC was very small and light weight and I carried it on a half-ton; the second one was heavier and I had it on a couple beefed-up 3/4-ton trucks. If I were to do it again, it would be with a 1-ton dually.

Your mileage will also drop significantly with a TC on your truck. The weight is one thing, but they also catch A LOT of wind. The last truck I had one on was a gaser that normally got about 12 mpg, but with the camper that dropped to about 8 mpg. With your intention of lots of coast-to-coast driving, you'd be better off with a diesel. With that you could expect 12-14 mpg loaded.

Combined with the extra fuel cost, the high initial investment, insurance, registration, upkeep, and campground fees, you'd have to pay for a lot of hotel rooms before the TC would be cheaper. RVing is a great way to see the country, but it's probably not the cheapest way to get across it.

Another possible consideration for you would be a class B motorhome -- a small camper built on a van chassis. They'll handle better in the wind and get better mileage. The drawback is that they suck for exploring mountain trails, but you haven't said that's of interest to you anyway.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I agree that these production models are a bit heavy for your Jetta. BUT... I tow all the time with my VW-D's (I have 28 of them..., bad Rabbit Habit,,, getting them for $35 at auction) I frequently tow 1950#, with my 48 HP pickup. (not recommended, but within vehicle spec).

You can get the whole scoop on folks towing with tdi's over on Fred's TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin
One friend did a cross Canada trip with his newer (automatic Passat) TDI towing a popup, averaged only 38 mpg as it was HEAVY. My Diesel Cars (http://mysite.verizon.net/resosxp8/mydieselpages/id12.html - broken link) (Passat is no longer listed on 'presently owned cars', this person trades OFTEN, but is very helpful)

Better solution (IMHO). Get a 'Snowbear' utility trailer.(500#) (2000#GVW model, I get them used for $300). Get a canopy (pickup 'topper') to fit. Toyota long bed pickup is very close to fit, or you can have one custom made for $300. ~ (100#)
ad a bedliner (pickup / molded) ~ $200 (#40)
Use light gear and camping boxes similar to this > Cookin Campers
and you should easily be able to stay under 1000# and $1,000. Towing this configuration I am expecting to drop from 52mpg to 46mpg on my 25 gal capacity (1250 mile range) Passat B4V TDI (I have 3 of these)

Plans for T@G
Tales & Trails: Plans (530) 275-6728
Teardrop Campers - A Complete Guide To Teardrop Trailers | CampingEarth.com
Explorer Pod Tent Topped Camping Trailer - Compact Camping Trailers Concepts

This Trailorboat is retro (a friend in WA has it), and not a bad idea for a top for 'Snowbear'.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...orboat-my.html

Snowbears are great (deck expands to 12 ft with reversible tailgates, they tilt for driving small tractors / ATVs onto and they TOW Wonderful... I used one for a "hearse" in delivering my dad's corpse 2,000 miles)

Alternative.... I use 'private Guest homes' ($10 - $20) when traveling, been doing it for 20+ yrs (Worldwide) and used them already this yr ~ 20 times. These stays really make my trips special, (Your-Mileage-May-Vary) as I often help the hosts with some type of project or farm task, or just sit around and chat or do music together. Frequently they have complete separate qtrs such as a guest home / apartment / RV. This is all listed in the host 'profile' in a database.
PM me if this interests you and you can't find a directory or need some suggestions. (couchsurfing.org probably would work too, but I use directories with a bit more vetting process)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing